Three University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football players, led by 2012 Southern Conference defensive player of the year Davis Tull, were named to Sports Network All-America teams for 2013. Tull, a junior defensive end who made several All-America teams last season and is on numerous preseason teams, was named to the Sports Network's 2013 Preseason FCS All-America first team, released Monday. Mocs senior linebacker Wes Dothard, a two-time All-America pick, was named to the second team, while senior cornerback Kadeem Wise, a three-time All-SoCon pick, made the third team. The Mocs begin preseason practice July 31.
• New UTC athletic director David Blackburn has been added to the board of the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame, Tennessee Speaker of the House Beth Harwell announced Monday. The Speaker controls eight appointments to the 25-member board. Blackburn is a Tennessee native who spent 22 years at various levels of coordination and administration in the University of Tennessee football program. He was a senior associate athletic director at UT before being hired April 20 as vice chancellor and director of athletics at UTC.
• UTC is running a Food & Fireworks football season-ticket special through July 12. The package includes a general-admission ticket for each of the Mocs' six Finley Stadium games in 2013 and a food voucher for the 7 p.m. opener on Aug. 29 against UT-Martin, which will include a postgame fireworks show. The food voucher for the UTM game includes one hot dog, one bag of chips and one Coca-Cola product as part of the $80 ticket package. Call 266-MOCS for more information or to buy tickets.
• Baylor School graduate Emily Javadi of Chattanooga has added to her freshman honors as a Sewanee golfer, including being the player and newcomer of the year in the Southern Athletic Association and a first-team NCAA Division III All-American, by being named Monday an All-American Scholar by the Women's Golf Coaches Association. She had a 3.58 grade point average for her first year of college.
• Stephen McCrory from Taylorsville, Ga., won the $1,500 top prize in the Super Pro class Saturday night at the Brainerd Optimist Drag Strip. McCrory won the final elimination with a time of 4.77 seconds on a 4.77 dial in a dragster powered by a 632-cubic-inch Chevrolet engine with injected alcohol and nitrous oxide assist. At 142.52 mph, he had the fastest car in the meet. Matt Grayson of Whitwell was second in 5.08 seconds on a 5.07 dial with a supercharged 400-cubic-inch Chevy small-block engine. Gary Blankenship of Summerville, Ga., was third. Veteran L.C Bigham was the Foot Brake winner with an 8.30 run on an 8.30 dial in his 1972 Dodge Dart. Marty Goldsmith was second with David Bigham, L.C.'s son, third. Jake Clayton won again in the Junior Dragster class with his 1-cylinder Briggs & Stratton dragster set up by his father, Mike, going 7.96 on a 7.95 dial; Kaleb Winters of Soddy-Daisy was second.
Track and Field
• Signal Mountain High School senior Preston Elwell is headed to the AAU National Junior Olympics scheduled for July 28-Aug. 3 at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti. Elwell qualified for the nationals in three events this past weekend at the Area 6 meet at the University of Tennessee. He won the javelin throw and finished third in shot put and fourth in discus.
• The USA South Athletic Conference officially welcomed Covenant College into full membership Monday, along with Huntingdon College in Montgomery, Ala. Both NCAA Division III schools previously belonged to the Great South Athletic Conference. The USA South has 13 full members plus Agnes Scott and Christopher Newport as affiliate members and will be observing its 50th year in 2013-14. Covenant has seven women's varsity sports (basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, tennis and volleyball) and six men's sports (baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer and tennis).
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga junior defensive end Davis Tull has been named to his fifth All-America team for 2013 ...
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's golf team set a 36-hole record for the program in taking the first-day ...
Kevin Rodden earned the $1,500 top prize in the Super Pro class Saturday night at the Brainerd Optimist Drag Strip, ...
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga junior defensive end Davis Tull was named to the Phil Steele College Football Preview All-America ...