If You Go
* What: New Years at Noon party.
* When: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday.
* Where: Creative Discovery Museum, 321 Chesnut St.
* Admission: Free with regular $10.95 admission.
* Phone: 756-2738.
* Website: www.cdmfun.org.
* Noon. Countdown to noon, apple cider toast
* 12:30-4 p.m. Photo souvenirs
* 1-1:15 p.m. Dance party with music by Saxophobia
* 2 p.m. Parade and bubble-wrap fireworks
Most small children will be asleep long before revelers ring in 2012 at midnight Saturday.
For that reason, the Creative Discovery Museum is hosting its annual New Year's at Noon party.
The fun begins at 10 a.m. with children's art activities as revelers wait for Father Time and Baby New Year to appear.
Just before noon, partygoers will count down the seconds to a 12 o'clock cheer of "Happy New Year." There will be a fruit-juice toast to the new year, confetti drop and music for dancing by Saxophobia. The fun continues into the afternoon with a parade at 2 p.m. -- during which kids can put to use the noisemakers and shakers they make -- and bubble-wrap "fireworks." Partygoers also may get a souvenir photo taken with Father Time.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...