Hixson High School boys' basketball coach Alex Disbrow dealt with a large dose of subtraction a couple weeks ago. He recently got a nice addition.
After eight of his players were dismissed for going into the stands during a game against East Hamilton on Feb. 1, Disbrow got a call from Lavantez Knight, a 6-foot-1 guard/forward who most recently played at Berean Academy.
Knight, who played at Hixson as a freshman, inquired about joining the Wildcats team and was accepted by Disbrow. Knight was immediately eligible since Berean is a non-TSSAA school.
The junior averaged 25.4 points, seven rebounds and four assists per game at Berean. Since joining the Wildcats, he had a 17-point, 12-rebound performance against Rhea.
"I told him that if he's got two legs and two feet, I've got a place for him," Disbrow said. "He's a good athlete and plays hard and helps us. He's a body, and he brings good athleticism to the court."
Losing his top eight players forced Disbrow to call up some junior varsity players. The Wildcats will face Red Bank in the first round of the District 6-AA tournament.
"I'm proud of the kids we've brought up," Disbrow said. "They've held their heads up; they're fun to coach and just happy to be on the floor. They're not jockeying for shots.
"It's like the old days when being on varsity meant something -- very rewarding from a coaching point of view."
Layne, Morgan in hall
Two area coaches are among the 12 new members to be inducted into the TSSAA Hall of Fame this year.
Current Sequatchie County principal Tommy Layne and McMinn Central girls' basketball coach Johnny Morgan will be inducted on April 9 along with former TSSAA executive director Ronnie Carter, Alcoa football coach Gary Rankin, O'Neal Henley, Robert Raikes, J.C. Campbell, Don Lady, Don Sutton, Jean Griffith, Larry Taft and the late Jake Rudolph.
Layne coached football and basketball at Whitwell for 24 years and has been a member of the TSSAA's Board of Control since 2001. He serves on the board of directors for the Tennessee Athletic Coaches Association.
Morgan has taught and coached at McMinn Central for the past 34 years. Taking over the girls' basketball program in 1978, he has compiled more than 700 wins, 11 district championships, 10 region titles and 10 state-tournament appearances. His Chargerettes have been state runners-up three times.
Prep Basketball season honors
* 7-AA: Machen Picard, Notre Dame; Kalynn Moore, Bledsoe County; Melanie Barker, Leigh Ann McAfee, Jessica McDonough, Sequatchie County; Haley Coffelt, Courtney Steiffel, Chelsey Wiseman, Grundy County; Brandis Dyer, Chelsea Jones, Mercedes Owens, Presley Watson, Chattanooga Christian. Co-coaches of the Year: Pam Hindman, Chattanooga Christian; Leon Woodlee, Grundy County.
* 6-AA: Feashia Taylor, East Ridge; Melva Sheppard, Central; Ciera Taylor, Hixson; Myia Lee, Tyreshia Rollins, Howard; Breonna Armstrong, MiShannon Wilbanks, Red Bank; Tiara Boston, Chanelle Rogers, Brainerd; Brittany McKinney, Juanita Montgomery, Alexxus Sturkey, Tyner; Alexis Adams, Jessica Caudle, Tiffany Lewis, East Hamilton. Coach of the Year: Derek Morris, East Hamilton.
* 6-A: Ka'Shae Reddicks, South Pittsburg; Carley Layne, Richard Hardy; Chandler Brooks, Lookout Valley; McKinsey Smith, Van Buren County; Sydni Abbajay, MacKenzie Eschmann, Signal Mountain; Erin Hill, Rachel Price, Sale Creek; Paige Carter, Sarah Green, Halle Ware, Whitwell; Kayla Brown, Lauren Brown, Becca Nelson, Marion County. Coach of the Year: Randy Ellis, Marion County. District and Region 3 Player of the Year: Keta Robinette, Marion County.
* 5-A: Ashley Britt, Tennessee Temple; Taylor Neal, Boyd-Buchanan; Kaitlyn Eldridge, Winter Simpson, Grace Academy; Haley Buchanan, Brianna Hyatt, Emily Stevens, Copper Basin; Ryan Alosi, Kelsey Dishroon, Silverdale Baptist; Robyn Anthony, Dabrisha Garner, Courtney McPherson, Briana Wesley, Arts & Sciences. Coach of the Year: David Massengill, Silverdale Baptist. Player of the Year: Mariah Massengill, Silverdale Baptist.
* 7-AA: Cameron Colvard, Jamal Worthington, Bledsoe County; Dakota Meeks, Blake Stephens, Grundy County; Daniel Cartwright, Tim Condra, Kegan Frederick. Sequatchie County; Brandon Arnold, Chase Caldwell, Chattanooga Christian; Rashawn Avery, Kywaun Davenport, Stedmon Ford, Notre Dame. Coach of the Year: Jason Smith, Sequatchie County.
* 6-AA: Quinton Joynes, Central; D'Mondta Smith, Hixson; Gerald Hambrick, East Ridge; Cody Knox, Logan Templeton, East Hamilton; Darrius Higgins, Jeulian High, Brainerd; Travis Jones, Trey Suttles, Tyner; Derrick Ashley, Kelvin Clay, Nick Ross, Red Bank; Keante Cameron, Barry Griffin, Demontay Suttles, Howard. Coach of the Year: Walter McGary, Howard.
* 6-A: David Robinson, Richard Hardy; Cole Tucker, Whitwell; Brandon Gibbs, Marion County; Antonio Chubb, Raquis Hale, South Pittsburg; Brandon Godwin, Nick Janow, Sale Creek; Jon Patton, Hogan Whitmire, Signal Mountain; Stracey Bonner, Delaney Heathington, William Long, Lookout Valley; Travis Ayers, Sheldon Hitchcock, Tyler Turner. Coach of the Year: Dustin Sullivan, Van Buren County. Player of the Year: Tyler Walling, Van Buren County.
* 5-A: Brett Trantham, Copper Basin; Hall Allen, Jeremy Glisson, Boyd-Buchanan; Wil Amos, Josh Riley, Silverdale Baptist; Donivan Jones, Justin Ragsdale, JaQueeze Robinson, Tennessee Temple; Jordan Beirne, Cory Nelson, Nathan Rector, Grace Academy; Justin Austin, Malik Dodds, Alex Stallion, Arts & Sciences. Coach of the Year: Mark Dragoo, Arts & Sciences. District and Region 3 Player of the Year: Sharif Cobb, Arts & Sciences.
GEORGIA GIRLS' ALL-REGION
* 6-A: Jacole Stephens, Bowdon; Jordan Hill, Bremen; Hadley Cannon, Mt. Paran; Hannah Wood, Mt. Zion, Carroll; Kassidy Blevins, Gordon Lee; Mary Beth Atha, Lindsay Evans, Terar Stewart, Darlington. Co-coaches of the Year: Lester Galyon, Gordon Lee; Josh Hembree, Darlington. Player of the Year: Holli Brooks, Gordon Lee. Second Team: (Chattanooga area selections only) Carrie Anne Caron, Courtney Stowe, Trion; Lesslie Bohannon, Lil Bradbury, Gordon Lee.
GEORGIA BOYS' ALL-REGION
* 6-A: Dylan Morgan, Bremen; J.B. Stephens, Bowdon; Daniel Brooks, Gordon Lee; Cam Collins, Darlington; Max Simms, Walker; J.T. Freeman, Josh Johsnon, Mt. Paran; Devan Bruce, Trion; Corey Harris, Blake Ralling, North Cobb Christian. Coach of the Year: Lanny Thomas, Trion. Player of the Year: Michael Motta, North Cobb Christian. Second Team: (Chattanooga area selections only) Heath Ivester, Hunter Ivester, Trion.