Chattanooga Times Free Press file photo Wendy Buckner, owner of The Hot Chocolatier on Cherokee Boulevard, prepares assorted truffles for a client
* Name: Wendy Buckner
* Position: Owner, chocolatier
* Location: The Hot Chocolatier
* First job: Working at a movie theater concession stand
* Best part of the job: "I could make chocolate candies all day. I'm standing here dipping truffles, and I could do it all day. I just love it. I'm very detail oriented, so I love decorating each little piece. I find it very therapeutic to be able to work on each piece at a time. Chocolate is fascinating. There are so many things you can do with it. My day is always different, because I'm making so many different things using the same ingredient. I love being in the kitchen."
* Least favorite part of the job: "Taxes. The business side. I love being in the kitchen, but the headaches of having to make everything, to sell it and having to do the paperwork is the least fun part. I don't have a least favorite part in the kitchen. I love everything about it. I don't even mind doing dishes."
* What she's learned: "One of the most important qualities you have to have as a chocolatier is patience. You have to be patient. Chocolate has a mind of its own. It can be ready to work with in one minute and then fall out of temper in the next. You can ruin a whole batch of something if you don't know what you're doing. (My job has) helped me in that aspect a lot."
* How to make a career of it: Chocolate, Buckner said, is a "tough medium" to learn. She attended The French Pastry School in Chicago, but there are schools just for chocolate. Apprenticing, she said, is another way to learn.
Follow Holly Leber on Twitter by following this link.
Holly Leber is a reporter and columnist for the Life section. She has worked at the Times Free Press since March 2008. Holly covers “everything but the kitchen sink" when it comes to features: the arts, young adults, classical music, art, fitness, home, gardening and food. She writes the popular and sometimes-controversial column Love and Other Indoor Sports. Holly calls both New York City and Saratoga Springs, NY home. She earned a bachelor of arts ...