published Friday, July 15th, 2011

Chattanooga: Lightning sparks fire that destroys house

8011 Hamilton Mill Drive
Get directions:  To here - From here

Lightning that struck a home’s roof in the Hamilton Mill subdivision early this morning sparked a fire that destroyed the house.

Flames were shooting through the roof as firefighters arrived at the house off 8011 Hamilton Mill Drive about 2:30 a.m. this morning, said Chattanooga Fire Department spokesman Bruce Garner.

Firefighters eventually got the flames under control, but the house was a total loss, Garner said. No one was injured and neighbors reported that the couple who had just bought the house was on vacation.

Neighbors told authorities that a thunderstorm passed through the around 7 p.m. and a huge bolt of lightning struck the house, he said. Officials believe the lightning damaged the wiring in the house and it heated up until a sparking a fire about eight hours later, Garner said.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
please login to post a comment

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.