published Thursday, June 2nd, 2011

Woman critically burned after boyfriend’s lighter sparks fire at gas pump

DON’T PLAY WITH FIRE
  • Turn off the vehicle’s engine when refueling.

  • Don’t smoke, light matches or use lighters while refueling.

  • Pay attention. Pumping gas is the transfer of a hazardous substance; don’t engage in other activities.

  • When using any electronic device, such as cell phones, computers or portable radios while refueling, follow manufacturer’s instructions.

  • If a fire starts while you’re refueling, don’t remove the nozzle from the vehicle or try to stop the flow of gasoline. Leave the area immediately and call for help.

  • Don’t get in and out of the vehicle while refueling to avoid static that could spark and ignite gasoline vapor.

Source: National Fire Protection Association

It was the flick of a lighter that led to woman’s third-degree burns at a gas pump last week.

Samantha Lawrence, 20, was critically burned after her boyfriend lit a cigarette while she was pumping gas, authorities said. She sustained second- and third-degree burns to about 30 percent of her body, mostly on her torso and arms, according to the Chattanooga Fire Department.

She remains at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Ga.

Investigators have ruled the fire accidental.

Lawrence was with her boyfriend, Derek Seretean, at the Kangaroo gas station at 1005 Hixson Pike on May 26. He went inside to buy cigarettes, then walked up next to her at the gas pump and lit one, the release said. Fire flashed and Lawrence’s clothes caught fire, a news release from the fire department stated.

A bystander told her to drop to the ground and roll to extinguish the flames, according to the release, and a cashier inside hit the kill switch to the gas pump.

Seretean was arrested at the scene on an unrelated warrant, according to Chattanooga police.

According to Garner, the most recent figures available from the National Fire Protection Association show that more than 5,000 fires and explosions occurred at public service stations per year from 2004-2008. Almost two-thirds involved vehicles and two people were killed.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

5
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
wgroover said...

Surely this is some form of Darwinism, some form of natural selection or SOMETHING... Right? I feel terrible for the burn victim- how awful.

June 2, 2011 at 9:37 a.m.
dao1980 said...

Again?!

Didn't something exactly like this this just happen?

June 2, 2011 at 9:49 a.m.
webledink said...

IDIOT! thats all i have to say!

June 2, 2011 at 4:45 p.m.
NoMyth said...

Yet another demonstration that smokers are fools.

June 2, 2011 at 10:04 p.m.
andhejen867 said...

www.giveforward.com/pleasehelpsamantha

June 3, 2011 at 12:17 a.m.
please login to post a comment

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement
400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.