• What: Eco-friendly North Shore condominiums certified by EarthCraft House.
• Company: One North Shore
• Location: 200 Manufacturers Road
• How it’s green: Insulated windows, energy-efficient appliances and low-flow water fixtures reduce utility bills and protect the environment, said Liane Carullo, sales agent and property manager of One North Shore. Dedicated recycling bins encourage homeowners to recycle, and the development’s convenient access to shopping, bus transportation and pedestrian and bike paths encourages reduced use of personal vehicles, resulting in less gas being used, she said.
• Why do it this way? “We want to keep energy costs as low as possible,” Carullo said. “It is a big goal for us to be as earth friendly as possible.” To obtain the EarthCraft House certification, which requires constructing a healthy, valuable house with minimal environmental impact, many of the building products used in construction were made from recycled materials.
• Advice for others considering green initiatives: Carullo said she advises homeowners of One North Shore to drive as little as possible and recycle their daily household items. “Anything you do helps contribute,” she said.
• Is environmentalism an essential part of the business and why? Being environmentally friendly was key to achieving EarthCraft House certification, Carullo said. “It’s just the way people are gearing toward,” she said. “It’s an upward way of life, and for a majority of our homeowners, it is important. It’s becoming a lifestyle.”
Brittany Cofer is a business reporter who has been with the Chattanooga Times Free Press since January 2010. She previously worked as a general assignment Metro reporter. In the Business department, she covers banking, retail, tourism, consumer issues and green issues. Brittany is from Conyers, Ga., and spent two years at Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Ga., before transferring to the University of Georgia. She graduated from the university’s Grady College of Journalism in December ...
related articles »
The second Sunday in May is set aside as Mother’s Day, but every April, Mother Nature gets her fair share ...
Chattanooga becomes a frontrunner in LEED building
From LEED buildings to burgers, green cleaners to coneflowers, Chattanooga continues its quest to become one of the nation’s greenest ...
• What: Full-service printing company specializing in integrated marketing communications.
Eco-friendly North Shore condominiums certified by EarthCraft House