• What: Full-service printing company specializing in integrated marketing communications.
• Company: Modern Way Printing and Fulfillment
• Location: 8817 Production Lane, Ooltewah, Tenn.; 423-238-4500
• How it's green: By using environmentally friendly inks made out of soy or vegetable oil, Modern Way Printing and Fulfillment has dramatically decreased the amount of harmful chemicals it uses during the printing process, said Ed Lawrence, vice president. Much of the machinery used features biodegradable parts, and by focusing on niche marketing approaches, the amount of paper used has decreased over the years, he said.
• Why do it this way?: Lawrence said the decision to become more environmentally friendly came about a decade ago, and has been a customer-driven change. “A lot of customers are now requesting that a certain percentage of their paper be recycled,” he said.
• What’s the cost?: Though initially expensive, Lawrence said costs have come down over the years on materials such as recycled paper and eco-friendly inks.
• Advice for others considering green initiatives: Lawrence suggests talking over plans with customers and explaining how it will benefit them when considering a green initiative. “People like to do what’s right if there’s the chance to do it,” he said.
• Is environmentalism an essential part of the business and why?: It is absolutely an essential part to the business, Lawrence said. “I’ve got children and grandchildren to think about,” he said. “We’ve got to think beyond the immediate.”
Brittany Cofer is a business reporter who has been with the Chattanooga Times Free Press since January 2010. She previously worked as a general assignment Metro reporter. In the Business department, she covers banking, retail, tourism, consumer issues and green issues. Brittany is from Conyers, Ga., and spent two years at Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Ga., before transferring to the University of Georgia. She graduated from the university’s Grady College of Journalism in December ...
related articles »
What: Eco-friendly North Shore condominiums certified by EarthCraft House
Eco-friendly North Shore condominiums certified by EarthCraft House
Q: As the BBB promotes "Truth in Advertising," are you finding that businesses are falsely advertising that they are a ...
Owner Kelly Brock said her green efforts began about four years ago when she redesigned her Hixson Pike location with ...