HOUSTON — The Southern Golf Association recently announced that the highly regarded Southern Amateur tournament will return to The Honors Course in July 2014. “It was enthusiastically accepted by all because it’s such a prestigious venue,” said Larry Guest, the SGA media liaison. The 2013 Southern Am will be held at the Club at Carlton Woods at The Woodlands, Texas.
- ROME, Ga. — Led by a 5-under-par 67 from Tyler Smith and a third-place 70 from Hunter Vest, the Lee University men’s golf team leads after the first round Monday of the Rome News-Tribune Invitational tournament at Stonebridge. Teammates JB Eksteen and Jeremy Lawson shot 73 and 74 for the Flames, whose 284 has them five strokes ahead of last week’s Lee Invitational winner, the University of the Cumberlands. Berry’s Alex Irvin is the individual leader at 66.
- Shane Clanton of Locust Grove, Ga., won the 60-lap Shamrock Race last Saturday at Cleveland Speedway, with David Payne of Murphy, N.C., second and Todd Morrow of East Ridge third. Jimmy Owens of Newport, Tenn., and Dale McDowell of Chickamauga were fourth and fifth, and William Thomas, Ray Cook, Riley Hickman, Billy Ogle Jr. and Derek Ellis completed the top 10.
- BABSON PARK, Fla. — The Sewanee baseball team jumped to a nine-run lead with seven runs in the top of the seventh inning and held on for a 10-7 victory over Washington College on Monday. Joe Reilly, Chris Mauro and Taylor Irwin each had three of the 18 hits for the Tigers (4-7). Irwin, Mauro and Blake Williams had two RBIs each, and Irwin got the pitching win with seven strikeouts.
- CLEVELAND, Tenn. — Roberto Reyes’ first-inning grand slam sparked Lee University to a 14-1 baseball win over Young Harris on Monday. Joe Ramirez was 2-for-2 and matched Preston Scoggins’ three RBIs for Lee (21-6), and Jonathan Clark, Travis Anderson and Chris Grayson each scored three runs. Jay Bolen and two relievers combined on a six-hitter.
- Hixson’s Holly Satterfield went 2-1 for the Valdosta State softball team this past weekend at Dahlonega, Ga. Her loss was 3-2 to No. 2-ranked North Georgia on Saturday night, but she got a win against the host team Sunday with one out of relief, after beating Tusculum 3-1 with a two-hitter and an unearned run. Satterfield is 6-1 with a 0.37 ERA and twice has been Gulf South East pitcher of the week.
- The NJCAA Division I women’s basketball tournament at Salina, Kan., includes Dade County’s Lauren Grisham on the Wallace State team from Hanceville, Ala. Wallace plays Vincennes (Ind.) today at 3 p.m. EDT. Chattanooga State’s Lady Tigers face ninth-ranked State Fair of Missouri on Wednesday afternoon. The Chattanooga State men play this morning at 11 EDT in Hutchinson, Kan., against third-ranked Midland of Texas.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team is a finalist for two national awards with the Mocs' Facebook and ...
Brothers Matthew and Mitch Brock from Chattanooga Golf and Country Club are tied for seventh after the first round Monday ...
This list is updated at least weekly. A short version including imminent events appears on Fridays in the sports section. ...
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga freshman Steven Fox shot a 5-under-par 67 at Council Fire Golf Club to earn medalist ...