published Wednesday, September 14th, 2011

Weeping Icon

about Clay Bennett...

The son of a career army officer, Bennett led a nomadic life, attending ten different schools before graduating in 1980 from the University of North Alabama with degrees in Art and History. After brief stints as a staff artist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Fayetteville (NC) Times, he went on to serve as the editorial cartoonist for the St. Petersburg Times (1981-1994) and The Christian Science Monitor (1997-2007), before joining the staff of the ...

95
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
MTJohn said...

From a recent Borowitz Report: *

"If we don’t cut Social Security now, we won’t have enough money to execute our children’s children,” Gov. Perry said.

*

September 14, 2011 at 12:23 a.m.
nucanuck said...

Execution may be Perry's unique way of showing mercy to the unemployed.

September 14, 2011 at 1:06 a.m.
woody said...

In all fairness..the practice was quite prevalent before Perry took office..a practice, I wish Tennessee would utilize more than it does.

Just my opinion, of course..as well as others who have been touched by violent crime..Woody

September 14, 2011 at 5:36 a.m.
Rickaroo said...

I was watching the Republican debate last week as the audience broke out in raucous cheers and applause when Brian Williams made mention of Perry's record of 234 death row inmates executed. My jaw literally dropped in disbelief. I don't care whether you're for or against the death penalty, you don't cheer about something like that. That is the epitome of scum. And no one on the stage, not even "rugged individualist" Ron Paul, had the balls to call the scummy audience out on their crude behavior.

Then there was the Tea Party debate this week where several members of the audience whooped and hollered their affirmation at the hypothetical case of letting someone die if he became seriously ill or injured and had no health insurance. Classy. Those miserable curs just can't get enough blood, can they?

But that is what today's Republican party has devolved to – no moral scruples, no empathy, no sense of compassion, just an elevated sense of self and a deaf ear to the expression, “There but for the grace of God go I.” If the Republican party is the party of family values, as they to claim to be, they obviously mean "Addams Family Values."

September 14, 2011 at 5:37 a.m.
lumpy said...

Some on here claim Clay Bennett takes his cues from the Democratic Party. I'm beginning to believe it. It Seems to me that the GOP candidate who has the most momemtum at the moment is featured on here in a negative light.

September 14, 2011 at 6:07 a.m.
anniebelle said...

And just who is top news today, lumpy? Perry or maybe you would prefer it be about Ted Kennedy or Bill Clinton. You people are so idiotic.

September 14, 2011 at 6:20 a.m.
AndrewLohr said...

Which is worse, 200 murderers who are executed or 20,000 who are not? Any love and compassion and respect for victims of crime? (Or for taxpayers taxed to pay for liberal schemes? Voluntary giving, the kind that counts, tends to be higher among conservatives.)

September 14, 2011 at 6:28 a.m.
MTJohn said...

Andrew - from a Christian perspective, please explain how execution shows love, compassion and respect for the criminal's victim.

September 14, 2011 at 6:48 a.m.
anniebelle said...

Actually, Ron Paul made President Obama's point for him. Any health plan will have to be mandatory or those that are young and healthy will not buy insurance and we, the taxpayer, end up paying their medical bills. Please tell me, Andrew, what church pays for medical bills?

September 14, 2011 at 7:04 a.m.
rolando said...

What does religion have to do with capital punishment, MTJohn? I call BS.

Before you go that route, remember One who was executed...for a greater purpose.

So think of all those killers who were executed for their crimes as "serving a greater purpose"...which they most assuredly do: You kill a cop or a child in Texas, your execution will tell other like-minded people that they better stay here in Tennessee where they won't face that problem.

September 14, 2011 at 7:09 a.m.
rolando said...

Woody, we again agree.

Those who suffer the up-close and personal attention of violence personified have an epiphany in their views regarding the punishment of violent and purely evil people.

If you are one of those sufferers, woody -- your post implies it -- I hope you have healed as best as possible. Godspeed.

September 14, 2011 at 7:17 a.m.
rolando said...

So to Hell with the constitution...right, miribell?

Who do you think is paying for all the illegal aliens and their get we have [and will have under ObamaCare] running around the country? The taxpayers, that's who. They will pay for 100% of it, whether they want to or not.

September 14, 2011 at 7:21 a.m.
MTJohn said...

Rolando - For a Christian - and, if you know the One who was executed for a greater purpose, I presume that you also are a Christian - the knowledge that God loves us and that Christ died for us should inform every aspect of our daily lives.

God is Love. God is a God of compassion. God is a God of forgiveness. I might not be able to get from that believe to an absolute ban on capital punishment. But, I can easily get from that believe to the conclusion that, unless we can practice capital punishment in a God-pleasing manner, we should not do it.

Capital punishment motivated by the desire for vengeance distinct from justice is not God-pleasing. Capital punishment that does not absolutely preclude the potential to execute innocents is not God-pleasing. In short, humans are not capable of practicing capital punishment in a God-pleasing manner.

September 14, 2011 at 7:30 a.m.
anniebelle said...

Why do you always want to throw out a red herring, rolando? We're talking about American citizens without heath insurance, not illegal aliens who come in here to pick your fruits and vegetables so you can go to WalMart and buy them at a 'reasonable' price. We require all drivers to have auto insurance. So why not health insurance? I haven't heard any of you teabaggers screaming about that little 'fact' being unconstitutional.

September 14, 2011 at 7:33 a.m.
alprova said...

The problem with the death penalty comes when there is serious doubt to the guilt of someone who is put to death.

Rick Perry, if he has a shred of conscience left, should be feeling very guilty for likely failing to stop the execution of a man who may have been innocent. He additionally fired three investigators who were looking into the case in August, 2009, very likely to thwart attention to the fact that he failed to act judiciously to halt his execution.

Cameron Todd Willingham was put to death on February 17, 2004 and was very likely not guilty of the crime for which he was convicted.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/09/08/1014595/-Rick-Perry-had-an-innocent-man-executed,-and-should-be-made-to-answer

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63259.html

I support the death penalty, but it should be only applied when there is no doubt whatsoever to the guilt of someone sentenced to be put to death.

I don't know that I would be proud of a record like his, where 230 people have been put to death since he has been Governor.

September 14, 2011 at 7:41 a.m.
EaTn said...

This whole right-wing debates reminds me of the story where a member of an unsavory family passed away. To help uplift his family's name the surviving brother offered to donate a large sum of money to the church if the preacher would tell what a saint the deceased was in the eulogy. The preacher knew the church needed the money so he agreed. In the eulogy the preacher got up and said " lying there was a lowlife and scum of the earth, but compared to his brother he was a saint".

September 14, 2011 at 7:55 a.m.
ibshame said...

HAHAHAH That's the best joke I've heard in a very long time.

September 14, 2011 at 8:03 a.m.
ibshame said...

As for Perry's record it is better to have 1000 Criminals go free than to execute one innocent man. From what I have read and what's been reported there was more than just a little doubt that Todd Willingham had actually committed the crime of murder. There were just some things that didn't add up. If Perry had been about doing the right thing he would have left no room for doubt before he authorized the execution of a man who might possibly have been innocent of the charge of murdering his own children.

September 14, 2011 at 8:07 a.m.

Progressives weep for the death of murderers and rejoice in the death of innocent unborn children. By their fruits shall ye know them. Who would you rather live next to? They are so quick to move to death threats and violence against conservative politicians like Scott Walker, but cry for convicted murderers. Up is down, left is right.

September 14, 2011 at 8:22 a.m.
rolando said...

Having been found guilty by a jury in a court of law, by the evidence available there was no reasonable doubt as to Willingham's guilt, ibshame. That finding was upheld not only by a number of appellate courts but by the governor himself, to boot. For whatever reasons, they chose not to override the legal decisions of those before them.

You might as well throw out our entire system of jurisprudence if you doubt that.

Willingham was not one of the 1,000.

Same thing with the rest of the executed scum. May they suffer in Hell.

September 14, 2011 at 8:24 a.m.
rolando said...

Don't presume to force upon me your interpretations of what God is, MTJohn. You go beyond the pale when you attempt that.

September 14, 2011 at 8:27 a.m.
rolando said...

That last is the way they live, think, and breathe, SheepleEater.

September 14, 2011 at 8:28 a.m.
BobMKE said...

Hey Eater,

Great, Great post. Everyone else need not post anything else. Eater nailed it. Give us the next Toon Clay, this one has been covered.

September 14, 2011 at 8:35 a.m.
rolando said...

Wow, alpo, you cite three notoriously biased, bigoted, and inaccurate source; the latter two Liberal-Progressive, the former merely hearsay.

Why does that not surprise me? You are, after all, a bean-counter.

September 14, 2011 at 8:41 a.m.
ArnoldZiffel said...

Sheepleeater, BRAVO!!! EXACTLY! EXACTLY! GAME OVER!!

September 14, 2011 at 8:41 a.m.
fairmon said...

anniebelle said.....

We require all drivers to have auto insurance. So why not health insurance? I haven't heard any of you teabaggers screaming about that little 'fact' being unconstitutional.

I am not in the tea movement but I don't like the AHCA as framed and like many government programs shows favor with many exceptions and accommodations. Comparing mandated health care coverage to driving insurance is not a valid comparison.

1-The required driver insurance is a state choice and law with no federal involvement.

2-Required automobile insurance is to protect the other person against errors on the part of those driving.

3-I am not required to own and operate a vehicle therefore I have a choice of not driving therefore insuring others against my driving.

anniebell ended a post about the cartoon with;

You people are so idiotic.

"you people" sounds rather racist, I assume you didn't mean any minority group which leaves anyone disagreeing with you as "you people" and that they are an idiot? That does say something about whether a person thinks for themselves or allows some politician or news media think for them.

September 14, 2011 at 8:51 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

Ahh, rolando. I'm doubting your convictions and in a small way your integrity. I called you on a claim on a previous thread, and you did not stay to defend it (again). Why should what you say on other topics be taken seriously?

September 14, 2011 at 8:51 a.m.
tderng said...

FPSE...that's the reason they are against the death penalty.They are for murder (of the unborn) and fear that they may be called to account for their murderous acts and beliefs.230 executed for violent crimes,0 executed for the murder of someone whose only crime was to be conceived.

September 14, 2011 at 8:53 a.m.
MTJohn said...

rolando said...

Don't presume to force upon me your interpretations of what God is, MTJohn.

I didn't try to force any interpretation on you or anyone else, Rolando. I only explained my own interpretation and the perspective from which I posed the question to Andrew.

Please feel free to believe as you choose to believe.

September 14, 2011 at 8:56 a.m.
patriot1 said...

anniebelle....auto insurance is NOT required by law...one only needs to show evidence of financial responsibility, there are ways of getting around auto insurance if you operate a motor vehicle such as a bond or self insure....no where does the law mandate auto insurance for drivers in Tennessee.

September 14, 2011 at 9 a.m.
patriot1 said...

Death row inmates receive a decade of appeals and review in some cases all the way to the supreme court....too bad 50 million unborn (since Roe/Wade) don't have the luxury of that much scrutiny.

September 14, 2011 at 9:10 a.m.
ibshame said...

Sidenote for the person who claims you don't have to have auto insurance. You are wrong:

www.autoinsurancetips.com

What mandatory auto insurance laws exist the state of Tennessee?

•In the state of Tennessee, you do not have to provide proof of insurance to register a vehicle or obtain a driver’s license, but you do have to carry auto insurance in order to operate a motor vehicle on all Tennessee streets, roads, and highways.
•The minimum liability coverage required by Tennessee law is $25,000/$50,000 for bodily injury and $15,000 for property damage. •You must carry proof of financial responsibility in your vehicle at all times. Failure to provide proof of insurance or financial responsibility is a Class C misdemeanor that carries a $100 fine and license suspension. What is the Minimum Liability Coverage (Bodily Injury amounts per person, per accident, and property damage amounts):

If you buy automobile insurance in Tennessee, your policy must include minimum liability coverage of:

$25,000 per accident for bodily injury to one person, $50,000 per accident for all injuries, and $15,000 for property damage

September 14, 2011 at 9:27 a.m.
blackwater48 said...

A TEA BAGGER DAILY DOUBLE

The question is not the use of capital punishment. It's about the alarming evidence that innocent men have been executed. If you feel no shame in that fact you are no better than the most vile criminal on death row.

Since 1973, over 130 people have been released from death rows based on evidence of innocence. In 2003 alone, 10 wrongfully convicted killers were released from death row when it was proved 'beyond a shadow of a doubt' that they were wrongfully convicted.

Republican Governor George Ryan (R-Illinois) invoked a moratorium on executions in 2000, stating"

I cannot support a system which, in its administration, has proven so fraught with error and has come so close to the ultimate nightmare, the state's taking of innocent life... Until I can be sure that everyone sentenced to death in Illinois is truly guilty, until I can be sure with moral certainty that no innocent man or woman is facing a lethal injection, no one will meet that fate.

In October of 2010 Texas released convicted murderer Anthony Graves after 18 years on death row. A prosecutor spent five months investigating the case and concluded, He's an innocent man. There is nothing that connects Anthony Graves to this crime. I did what I did because that's the right thing to do.

What's wrong with being sure?

Despite the fact that at least one prisoner had at least one diligent prosecutor 'making sure,' Perry seems nonchalant about the putting innocent men to death and has suspended investigations into possible wrongful convictions.

Perry shrugged, I've never struggled with that at all.

No heart. No brain.

A tea bagger daily double.

September 14, 2011 at 9:37 a.m.
limric said...

Many have pondered the mystery of why the Mayan calendar – accurate for over 700 years – would end abruptly on December 21, 2012. Another Texas governor has decided to run for the highest public office, and he is more Christian, more cowboy, and more corporate-coddled than the last Texas President could ever imagine.

Rick Perry it is said received instructions from God that he should run for the presidency, as God is quite anxious to begin the apocalypse.

Aside from prayer and executions, Perry is best known for his well-oiled principles, that low taxes, no regulations, and tough lawsuit restrictions are what “help create jobs and attract business.” Behold his state of Texas, whose corporate ledgers have fared quite well, where gains in both air and water pollution are taking hold once again, and the people are among the worst educated and poorest populations in the country, with the highest rates of uninsured. A pretty good record by any GOP measure.

The Mayan’s “Long Count” calendar, it seems, was entirely correct. It is expected to take slightly over one month – from the November 4th elections to the December 21st expiration date – for the hand basket to fill and all hell to finally break loose. It is recommended that people enjoy their last year. Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow the President may be Perry.

September 14, 2011 at 9:39 a.m.
hambone said...

I'm against the execution of the unborn and the unjust execution of criminals. No one should be put to death if there is the least bit of dought of their guilt.

To some, a life sentence with very little human contact is a greater sentence than death!

September 14, 2011 at 9:45 a.m.
patriot1 said...

Auto insurance is NOT required in Tennessee, the key words here are "financial responsibility" one can post a bond or deposit with the department of safety and carry evidence of that in your vehicle to satisfy the "financial responsibility" law.

September 14, 2011 at 9:49 a.m.
alprova said...

Patriot1 Wrote: "anniebelle....auto insurance is NOT required by law...one only needs to show evidence of financial responsibility, there are ways of getting around auto insurance if you operate a motor vehicle such as a bond or self insure....no where does the law mandate auto insurance for drivers in Tennessee."

Very few people in the state of Tennessee have the means necessary to satisfy the financial responsibility laws in order to operate a motor vehicle without an insurance policy in place, so why offer that argument?

Even the richest Tennesseans purchase insurance in much higher percentages than those who have bonds in place or who self-insure.

September 14, 2011 at 10:01 a.m.
ibshame said...

It never ceases to amaze me when the discussion turns to capital punishment how the same people who claim to be against abortion because it is the taking of life can then turn around and support executions which are also the taking of life. If some are willing for a woman to have a child whether she chooses to or not because ALL life is "sacred" then so too is the life of those on death row. When the State takes a life it is then committing the same act(albeit for a different reason) as the person who committed a crime. The only difference is the State calls it an execution and the criminal has been labled a murderer.

September 14, 2011 at 10:04 a.m.
alprova said...

Rolando wrote: "Wow, alpo, you cite three notoriously biased, bigoted, and inaccurate source; the latter two Liberal-Progressive, the former merely hearsay."

I've been following that case since it was reopened in 2009. The article on Wikipedia is very accurate and it cites all the evidence surrounding the case.

You can discount it all you want, but I challenge you to prove any assertion of inaccuracy contained within it.

"Why does that not surprise me? You are, after all, a bean-counter."

At least I'm not a drain on the taxpayers like yourself.

September 14, 2011 at 10:05 a.m.
patriot1 said...

why offer that argument???? to debunk the silly argument that "auto insurance is required so why not health insurance".

September 14, 2011 at 10:10 a.m.
alprova said...

Roland wrote: "That finding was upheld not only by a number of appellate courts but by the governor himself, to boot."

The appellate courts were not given the evidence obtained during the investigation in 2009, five years after his execution.

Governor Perry didn't base his decision to allow the man to die on the outdated, junk science used against him. He was well aware that there was credible doubt expressed about the evidence used to obtain his conviction.

In response to allegations that he allowed the execution of an innocent man, Perry was quoted as stating "he was a wife beater."

Defend Governor Perry if you must, but the man will not be nominated nor elected President. He has way too much baggage.

September 14, 2011 at 10:22 a.m.
MTJohn said...

IBShame - you, and others, who make that kind of argument, have reduced a complex issue to a simple level of understanding. It is incorrect to assume that a person who is "pro-choice" also is "pro-abortion". Most of the "pro-choice" people whom I know share the perspective that abortion is wrong AND that giving life to an unwanted pregnancy also is wrong. Given that the matter comes down to a choice between two wrongs, we also think it is wrong for society to make that decision for woman who face that dilemma. Two wrongs don't make a right and three wrongs make it even worse.

September 14, 2011 at 10:22 a.m.
alprova said...

Patriot1 wrote: "why offer that argument???? to debunk the silly argument that "auto insurance is required so why not health insurance"."

It's not a silly argument. 95% of all people who are responsible motor vehicle owners purchase auto insurance policies to satisfy financial responsibility law requirements.

Your argument regarding 5% of those who post a bond or self-insure is a little weak. Nearly all residents of the state do not have the means to post a bond or self-insure, so again, I ask you what the point is to argue it?

The vast majority of Tennesseans are forced to purchase auto insurance, due to their economic status in life, in order to comply with the financial responsibility law, enacted in 1977.

September 14, 2011 at 10:33 a.m.

ibshame, There are consequences to people's actions even if they don't want to face them. Why do you think justice has a sword? Society of laws and all. The reason justice is really crying is because of so many people escaping it and our legal system turning a blind eye. Maybe it is the erosion of the constitution that is making her cry.

The fact that justice is served so little these days is a reason for all of us to cry. The siezure of our rights by the state is a reason to stop crying and start fighting back.

September 14, 2011 at 10:52 a.m.
rolando said...

lkeithlu. Sorry. Really. We were doing well. I got totally sidetracked on "precambrian evolution" -- interesting topic -- and lost track of that thread. [I had an "Oh, s---!" moment and closed the wrong app, losing the reply.] If you would be so kind as to re-direct me, I will continue. Actually, I was hoping you would appear here...

I do recall one thing you said something about disappointment. I must say I have the same feeling about you...I was truly hoping -- and still do -- that I can broaden you rviewpoint a bit and encourage you to adopt true investigative techniques and not just straight narrow-vision research...and more empathy with the viewpoints of others.

Godspeed to you, too.

September 14, 2011 at 10:53 a.m.
rolando said...

MTJohn --

Thanks for allowing me to have my own beliefs. I thought perhaps you had a direct line to God or something.

Jesus was about a bit more than love, etc.

I recall something about making a whip out of a piece of rope and driving out the defilers... There is also that bit about kicking the dust off one's sandals.

September 14, 2011 at 10:59 a.m.
rolando said...

alpo -- "The appellate courts were not given the evidence obtained during the investigation in 2009, five years after his execution.

Nor should Gov Perry. If the 2009 investigation and evidence was that convincing, it should have been enough for a re-trial. Or did nasty old Perry stop that, too?

Governors frivolously overrule the courts at their own political peril.

See me after the primaries as to who wins the Repubs...if you can stand to vote in your own primary without barfing.

And if you think bean-counters are not a drain on the taxpayers, you have never entered into a federal contract where they reign supreme.

September 14, 2011 at 11:12 a.m.
MTJohn said...

Rolando - if it weren't for the cross, everything else that Jesus did would have been irrelevant. And, the cross was all about the love that God has for His Creation - including all people, not just those who look and think the way you do.

September 14, 2011 at 11:27 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

I do recall one thing you said something about disappointment. I must say I have the same feeling about you...I was truly hoping -- and still do -- that I can broaden you rviewpoint a bit and encourage you to adopt true investigative techniques and not just straight narrow-vision research...and more empathy with the viewpoints of others.

When it comes to science, there is no "broadening of viewpoint". The rules of scientific inquiry are very strict. We have to assume immutable physical laws, which matter obeys absolutely. We must deal with evidence. ALL evidence. Theories must explain them, or be modified until they do. Falsify a theory, and it's gone. (in spite of what you are reading rolando, this has not happened to evolution. Never) There are people who want to include the supernatural into science; this cannot and should not happen. That's not to say there are not realms where science cannot explore. But science has nothing to say about the supernatural, because it lies outside the physical.

I am tolerant of the viewpoints of others. I am not tolerant of deception, lies and delusions, especially when it comes from elected officials and people wanting them taught in schools. Teaching creation as science is on par with teaching that the Holocaust never happened, and invisible pink ponies are what's responsible for chemical reactions.

Your claim was that evolution ignores evidence. I asked you to produce examples. Bet you can't.

People study religion and philosophy as important human endeavors. That's great, and I'm all for it. But don't call it science. People presume to know more about areas of science than the scientists that do the actual work, something I think is very curious. There must be something that must be very compelling that would allow people to assume they can do this credibly.

September 14, 2011 at 11:35 a.m.
ArnoldZiffel said...

"pro choice" means you are open to the possibility of killing the unborn. You can't be "pro choice without approving of abortion. It's an option for you people. Jesus did not advocate breaking the law or not facing consequences for breaking the law. But I'm for damn sure that Jesus would not approve of the killing of the unborn. Get Real you Lefties!!

September 14, 2011 at 11:38 a.m.
Musicman375 said...

Auto insurance is only required if you choose to purchase a driver's license and operate a vehicle. Health insurance is required if you have a heartbeat. If you don't want to pay for auto insurance, don't operate a vehicle. If you don't want to pay for health insurance, pay a fine or kill yourself.

There is a difference between the two requirements. You just have to use your noodle to understand that difference.

September 14, 2011 at 12:01 p.m.

Ikeithlu, Science is limited by relativity. Your definition of the term supernatural is relative to your understanding of the world as you know it. There are countless things possible today that would have been considered supernatural 1000 years ago. Does that make them supernatural because the people of the time couldn't prove they weren't?

When our perspective is changed by discoveries in science, it doesn't debunk the beliefs of religion. God could be an immortal and all powerful being through his mastery and understanding of the laws of the universe. Scientists don't know for sure he isn't do they? If he has mastered science and the laws of the universe, who says he couldn't create planets and life? Just because we can't do it right now, doesn't make it supernatural. Belittling someone on something as relative and changeable as scientific "fact" is ignorant.

September 14, 2011 at 12:18 p.m.
rolando said...

Evolution hypothesis ignores the precambrian, lkeithlu. It ignores the 3.5 billion years of very slow changes...then it ignores the extremely fast [in geological time] changes that occurred in the Cambrian...not the changes themselves but the comparative rapidity. It ignores all of failed mutations in the long march up the ladder -- not the semi-successful splitting off, but the "day to day" failures required to move up. It ignores the fossils that "the dog ate" and never questions their absence. Absence of something does not prove its existence; nor does it dis-prove it. Saying "The dog ate it" does not mean it existed.

You say, "The rules of scientific inquiry are very strict." Yes, they are...as are the rules of investigative inquiry. The latter requires an open mind and encourages it...the former discourages it. And therein lies my thesis. The scientific method defines things in scientific terms, tries to apply them to investigative situations...and they don't compute. Nor should they. Things cannot be defined in their own terms.

But this is not the thread for the discussion.

September 14, 2011 at 12:26 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

you are correct-I will post my reply in the appropriate thread in a while.

September 14, 2011 at 12:33 p.m.
rolando said...

People study religion and philosophy as important human endeavors. That's great, and I'm all for it. But don't call it science.

I don't believe anyone here has called religion or philosophy a "science" as you define it, lkeithlu, any more than psychiatry/psychology is a science. They are completely different things yet are equally valid in their own terms. Somehow, that has come to mean one of them should be automatically excluded from everyday academic study, doesn't it? Based on what? Definitions using the wrong terms.

Interestingly, as someone said, "Any technology or science, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic." Snap your fingers and water boils...is it magic or sound-activated microwave?

September 14, 2011 at 12:42 p.m.

Wake up folks, Perry is doing what Texans want just as G.W. Bush did when he was their Gov. It's Texas, okay?

Now, imagine an elected leader NOT doing what the voters wanted and you'll more than likely find a one-term guy... like ol' Barry Obama.

September 14, 2011 at 12:43 p.m.
rolando said...

Could you name the thread? As I said, I lost it.

See you there in a bit...I am in the middle of making a chest of drawers for my wife's spinning "fiber". Just stopped here while the glue dried...

September 14, 2011 at 12:45 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

Letters to the editor

September 14, 2011 at 12:47 p.m.
lumpy said...

Actually, Anniebelle, Obama's jobs plan would make a better topic. Which, as each day goes by, is revealing itself to be as full of holes and deception as the stimulus and Obamacare were.

Or how about the Democrats losing the U.S. House seat formerly held by the discraced Anthony Weiner? That seat has been held by the Democrats since 1923. I think Republicans winning a seat in congress which was held by Democrats since 1923, is a much bigger story. That district in brooklyn is nearly 100% Democrat, liberal and Jewish.

The American, Jewish community is turning its back on Obama and the Democrats is a really big deal.

This cartoonist is boring and predictable. Unfortunately for you Democrats, Obama is THE story because of how bad it is everyday. You wouldn't even know Obama was president if you follow the cartoons on here every day. It's as if he's a non-factor.

September 14, 2011 at 1:15 p.m.
rolando said...

In a way, lumpy, The Hussein is a non-factor.

September 14, 2011 at 2:02 p.m.
hambone said...

The fact is that Perry has hindered any attempt to get at the truth for no other reason than his own vanity!!

September 14, 2011 at 2:10 p.m.
mountainlaurel said...

FlyingPurpleSheepleEater said: “Progressives weep for the death of murderers and rejoice in the death of innocent unborn children. By their fruits shall ye know them. “

I believe you’re being disingenuous in your statement here, FlyingPurpleSheepleEater. The concern associated with the “death penalty” is the possibility of executing innocent persons for a crime that he or she did not commit, which is quite different from your statement. It’s a legitimate concern because it has happened on numerous occasions, and will most likely continue to happen. Once an innocent person has been executed, there is no way to undo the error or injustice that has been done to that person.

I also believe you’re being disingenuous in your statement that “progressives rejoice in the death of innocent unborn children,“ FlyingPurpleSheepleEater. To date, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen or read about anyone of any political persuasion cheering and celebrating the death of innocent unborn children. The primary issue surrounding abortion involves the rights of the individual as they relate to the Fourteenth Amendment’s concept of privacy, personal liberty, and restrictions upon state action.

Finally, I believe your reference to the quote, “By their fruits shall ye know them,” is somewhat self-serving here – some would call it cherry picking. Indeed, if you are a Christian you must be familiar with the Sixth Commandment - "Thou Shall Not Kill." As you will note, the Sixth Commandment is pretty straightforward and does not identify any exceptions, which is why some Christian denominations like the Quakers and the Jehovah Witnesses oppose the death penalty and do not participate in wars. So if you want to discuss the Christian faith, the least you could do is to be consistent in regard to the messages, including those found in Matthew 5:

“You have heard that it has been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say to you, That you resist not evil: but whoever shall smite you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also.”

“You have heard that it has been said, You shall love your neighbor, and hate your enemy. But I say to you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which spitefully use you, and persecute you; That you may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he makes his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love them which love you, what reward have you? do not even the publicans the same? And if you salute your brothers only, what do you more than others? do not even the publicans so? Be you therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.”

September 14, 2011 at 2:12 p.m.
alprova said...

Rolando wrote: "Nor should Gov Perry. If the 2009 investigation and evidence was that convincing, it should have been enough for a re-trial. Or did nasty old Perry stop that, too?"

In 2009, you bet he did. He fired three of the investigators on the investigative committee and replaced the chairman as well to put a stop to the findings about to be released, that are quoted on Wikepedia.

In 2010, the Innocence Project filed a lawsuit against the State of Texas, seeking a judgment of "official oppression". That case is still ongoing.

"Governors frivolously overrule the courts at their own political peril."

Perry makes it a habit, apparently.

"See me after the primaries as to who wins the Repubs...if you can stand to vote in your own primary without barfing."

I'm very comfortable voting for our President for reelection.

"And if you think bean-counters are not a drain on the taxpayers, you have never entered into a federal contract where they reign supreme."

The point being that I am not a drain to this nation's taxpayers unlike yourself. I am a private corporation unto myself and am paid by private enterprise for the work I perform.

September 14, 2011 at 3:04 p.m.
nurseforjustice said...

Rolando has EARNED his retirement, Al. If my memory serves me correctly, he served our country for greater than 20 years. I for one am grateful for his service. Thank you Rolando.

The "drain" that you so hatefully refer to is the lazy folks who won't get up off their rumpus to make anything of themselves. I did it after I got tired of living in poverty and so can they.

September 14, 2011 at 3:29 p.m.

ML, Give it up. You call me down for Cherry picking and then do the same yourself. What about obeying the laws of the land? What does the bible say is the penatly for murder? Ah..

Rick Perry didn't convict the man. A jury of his peers did. You weren't on the jury. You didn't hear all of the evidence. You don't know exactly why he was convicted. Are you saying you know more than the people who sat on that jury regardless of how far removed you are from the process? All of his appeals failed. ALL of them. It seems you hold yourself above all of those who were involved in making the decision with all of the evidence before them even though you didn't get to see the same evidence and hear it presented.

This line is the truest of everything you wrote "Once an innocent person has been executed, there is no way to undo the error or injustice that has been done to that person." To this I say you are absolutely correct. This man's death won't undo the death of his victim, but it will help the victim's loved ones feel that justice was served and that this man won't be able to kill anyone else.

I will address your argument about abortion with one scenario. If someone causes a pregnant woman to lose her "fetus" by punching her in the stomach or giving her a drug that causes the baby to be aborted chemically against her will, that person would be charged with murder and probably assault on top of that. WHY? If the fetus isn't technically alive, it can't be murder. Think of all the wonderful people who could get out of prison on this premise. The 14th amendment doesn't grant the right to kill babies, progressive monsters do.

I agree that God doesn't want us to be cruel to, or hate those that would do the same to us, but he also doesn't say lay down and die. Let your wives and children be raped and killed. God supports our defense of self, property and family.

Enjoy.
Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

September 14, 2011 at 3:58 p.m.
timbo said...

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I am conservative but don't like the death penalty. If there is a confession and absolute proof, i.e. pictures, video, is one thing. The problem is that in the vast majority of death penalty cases circumstantial evidence and unreliable witnesses were used.

None of this matters if there is even one, just one, innocent person that has been put to death. Most reports show that at least 10% of death row inmates are probably innocent. That, with my absolute mistrust of the authorities, make it impossible to support the death penalty. Even Mexico doesn't have the death penalty.

The conservative position should be that it is used rarely and when there is absolute proof. Rick Perry has other problems including this one that makes him unattractive to conservatives. His stand on illegal immigration is nuts. He would make a democrat proud.

September 14, 2011 at 4:12 p.m.
alprova said...

Whether or not he "earned" his retirement is not in question. The fact is that he depends on the Government for every penny he draws and that which he drew throughout his working years.

By his own admission, he was never placed in harms way while in service to our nation, so he made a conscience choice to exchange his services for a steady paycheck and he did it while shining a seat throughout the course of his employment while working for the government, which he now claims to despise. He's a blooming hypocrite.

Taxpayers fund the coffers from which his check is drawn. Therefore he is a drain on those who create wealth and who pay taxes into the system. I write four checks every year that go into those coffers. His contributions were deductions from that which he drew from those same coffers.

I would have been fine to leave him alone and to refrain from taking a swipe at him, but he took a swipe at me first, unprovoked, I might add.

He's a big boy. I'm quite sure he can take care of himself.

September 14, 2011 at 4:13 p.m.
alprova said...

FlyingPurpleSheepleEater wrote: "The 14th amendment doesn't grant the right to kill babies, progressive monsters do."

I've always been fascinated with people that worry so much about embryos that they have no personal stake in whatsoever. These same people, usually that is, are equally worried about the state of other people's souls, and therefore proselytize and impose their beliefs on others, as if their own soul is completely intact.

The problem is, that most of the time, those who are so worried about others and insert their noses into the lives of others, are living in glass houses. Every now and then, their own sins come to light, exposing the fact that they too are human beings too.

Take for instance the story exploding all over the web today, in regard to Sarah Palin. Now Sarah Palin holds herself up to be a role model for most Conservative Americans. It may turn out that she is a role model for self-righteous, hypocritical Christians.

In a 2006 Eagle Forum questionnaire, Palin indicated that she supported funding abstinence until marriage education programs instead of teaching sex-education programs. "Explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support," Palin wrote in the conservative group’s questionnaire.

Hypocrisy is a quality that some find delight in exposing in our political leaders. If Palin backs abstinence only education and refuses to talk about contraception, then as a public and political figure, many feel they are entitled to know whether her own lifestyle is aligned with her rhetoric.

In "The Rogue: Searching for the Real Sarah Palin," written by nest door neighbor Joe McGinniss in his soon to be published book, according to the National Enquirer, Mrs Palin had a premarital encounter with former NBA player Glen Rice.

Sarah Palin, according to the book, had a fling thing with Rice in 1987, while he was in college and she was a sports reporter fresh out of college and working at KTUU in Alaska. This allegedly occurred less than a year before she married her husband, Todd.

So far, there has been no comment from Sarah Palin regarding the allegation.

I'm not bothered in the least by the accusation that Sarah Palin may have been human at one point in her life. I'm not thrilled at the thought that she is being exposed for being a hypocrite when it comes to one of the claims that she holds near and dear to her heart. This is an embarrassment that no one should ever have to endure, even as a politician.

I got side-tracked, but the point I was trying to make was that people need to mind their own business and to concentrate on their own sinful souls. Most people have a full time job throughout their lives attending to that task.

Only one man has walked on this Earth who lived a sin-free life.

September 14, 2011 at 5:03 p.m.
LibDem said...

I'm opposed to state administered revenge. It seems probable that some innocents are executed; however, the state shouldn't be involved in the beginning. You might argue that capital punishment is a deterrent, but I doubt that is the case. There was a murder on Southern Street a couple of nights back (not a capital crime). How likely is it that the perpetrator thought about the penalty for murder before pulling the trigger? Did he say to himself, "This will be worth 20 or 30 years." A Gilmer County guy is accused of killing his wife. Do you think he thought a long time about the penalty? Did he say to himself, "This won't be capital so I'm OK."

September 14, 2011 at 6:15 p.m.
MTJohn said...

FlyingPurpleSheepleEater said...

I agree that God doesn't want us to be cruel to, or hate those that would do the same to us, but he also doesn't say lay down and die. Let your wives and children be raped and killed. God supports our defense of self, property and family.

Please explain why we need the death penalty to defend ourselves, our property and our families.

September 14, 2011 at 6:32 p.m.
jesse said...

one good reason i'm pro death penalty:

i can gar on tee you ted bundy has not killed anyone since jan.24 1989!!!

September 14, 2011 at 7:43 p.m.
mountainlaurel said...

FlyingPurpleSheepleEater said: ""Once an innocent person has been executed, there is no way to undo the error or injustice that has been done to that person." To this I say you are absolutely correct. This man's death won't undo the death of his victim, but it will help the victim's loved ones feel that justice was served and that this man won't be able to kill anyone else”

Surely, there is some kind of error here, FPSE. Do you actually believe the execution of an innocent man or woman is going to help the victim’s loved ones feel that justice has been served? Indeed, if this is truly the case, you don’t know much about the feelings of crime victims. People want justice not injustice.

And, what about the feelings of the families who’s loved one has been wrongly executed? How do they obtain justice, particularly in cases where a government official was aware there was new evidence proving the person’s innocence? Shouldn’t the official who willingly ignored this new evidence be held accountable for the role he or she played in the death and execution of an innocent person?

Flying PurpleSeepleEater said: “You call me down for Cherry picking and then do the same yourself. What about obeying the laws of the land?” “What does the bible say is the penalty for murder?

What cherries am I picking, FPSE? And what about the laws of the land? Seems to me that we're obligated to follow them. And, specifically, what sections of the Bible are you referencing? Are you suggesting that Christians should ignore the Sixth Commandment and what Jesus said in Matthew 5?

Flying PurpleSheepleEater said: God supports our defense of self, property and family. . . Enjoy.
Luke 22:36 “he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Believe you’ve taken this quote out of context and suggest you continue reading, FPSE. As I recall, when Peter used the sword to cut off a guard’s ear, Jesus rebuked him and proceeded to heal the guard’s ear. Why do you think Jesus did this?

FlyingPurpleSheepleEater said: “If someone causes a pregnant woman to lose her "fetus" by punching her . . . that person would be charged with murder.”

I don’t think you grasp the fact that the U.S. Bill of Rights applies to women as well as men, FPSE. I also don’t think you grasp that people have freedom of religion in the U.S. The fact that someone can be punish for killing a fetus does not negate in any way the right of a woman to have autonomous control over her own body. You seem to be forgetting that many women choose to have children and when someone kills a fetus against the will of a woman, why shouldn’t they be punished? Personally, I believe the issue of abortion would be non-existent if we lived in a more just, generous, compassionate, and responsible world where the health, general welfare, and well being of people - including children - actually matters.

September 14, 2011 at 8:04 p.m.
ricardo said...

alprova wrote:

"Sarah Palin, according to the book, had a fling thing with Rice in 1987, while he was in college and she was a sports reporter fresh out of college and working at KTUU in Alaska. This allegedly occurred less than a year before she married her husband, Todd."
At least we can't accuse her of being a racist. She's an equal opportunity adulterer.

September 14, 2011 at 8:10 p.m.
fairmon said...

It is a useless debate regarding whether the death penalty is a deterrent or not but one fact is indisputable, it cuts down on repeat offenders. It should be avoided in circumstantial cases but when there is no doubt instead of the reasonable doubt criteria then why pay for all those years of incarceration. Sir-Han Sir-Han that was shown on video assassinating Robert Kennedy is an example of when the death penalty should have been used promptly. But, not in California with their dysfunctional bankrupt government.

To have or not have the death penalty is and should be a state issue. I assume the question was asked in the presidential candidates debate to allow people to know how the candidates viewed the issue or the moderators didn't know it wasn't yet a federal law. Or, since they had a liberal bias perhaps the moderators had another agenda in mind with that question. Once Perry is out of cowboy country he won't do as well in the polls.

September 14, 2011 at 8:43 p.m.
mountainlaurel said...

Harp3339 said: "Sir-Han Sir-Han that was shown on video assassinating Robert Kennedy is an example of when the death penalty should have been used promptly. But, not in California with their dysfunctional bankrupt government."

I don't think it's fair to single out California, Harp3339. When it comes to the criminal justice system I suspect every State has its own set of problems. Just last year I recall reading about a situation somewhere in the heartland of middle America about a couple judges who were sending innocent juveniles to prison in order to obtain kickbacks from a for-profit privately operated prison center for juveniles - talk about dysfunctional jerks.

September 14, 2011 at 9:13 p.m.
mountainlaurel said...

MTJohn,

Thanks for sharing that CNN link. It certainly boosted my spirits.

September 14, 2011 at 10:43 p.m.
fairmon said...

Fair or not California is a mess and that is where he is housed and getting a hearing routinely to be paroled. Yes, some other states may have their own issues. I would volunteer to pull the swwitch on him.

September 14, 2011 at 11:57 p.m.
SavartiTN said...

I think that the wrath of God has been visiting Texas a lot lately. Maybe they will catch on...maybe not.

September 15, 2011 at 12:51 a.m.

welll i know fur sure why miss Justess is cryin and cryin! caus all the nasti ones up ther wit all ther hate aginst america and gud americans and Jesus.

oh oh nasti wons! yall see justess soon and shes no ladi. fur sur!!

September 15, 2011 at 2:04 p.m.
rolando said...

Indeed I am capable of taking care of myself, alpo. I remind you -- a bean-counter considering himself an "economist" and an incompetent one at that -- what you ignominiously refused to include in your cutsey-poo thumbnail of 14 Sep at 1613 hrs. During that entire period and 15 more, I carried concealed protecting the scum like you who detest all those who labor in defense of our constitution and our country.

It was YOU, after all, who claimed -- and called them such -- that all military retirees became "a burden on society" on the day they retired from active duty...and thereby started the entire and undying enmity between us. Only confirmed cowards belittle and scorn those who protect their worthless hides. You hide behind Hanoi Jane's threadbare skirts, much as you have cowered behind the backs of better than you.

September 19, 2011 at 7:39 p.m.
rolando said...

I might add, if I may, harp -- Charles Manson lives! And has many of the "advantages" of his fellow Vacaville prisoner, Sirhan.

But those two are by no means unique in Calif. Google Caryl Chessman. I remember that one from beginning to end. Thank God for misdialled phone numbers.

Oops. They moved him...he is now in Corcoran.

September 19, 2011 at 7:49 p.m.
please login to post a comment

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.