AUGUSTA, Ga. — Yes, this is the extra special Saturday edition of the 5-at-10. Enjoy and feel free to chime in with any Masters thoughts, observations or quips.
We'll get started. Want to know how young-at-heart Freddie Couples is? How many other 52-year-old dudes can you call Freddie and not feel a little bit silly?
OK, here's the top five of the morning:
5-at-10's top 5 to watch today:
1) Rory McIlroy: The kid is in prime position to make a serious move. Here's saying he'll be in the final group come Sunday. Again.
2) Phil Mickelson: Lefty has already survived his debacle — overcoming a wayward stretch Thursday — and is at 2 under, three off the pace. You know he's licking his chops at the inviting conditions out here today.
3) Sergio Garcia: Did you know that Sergio has played more consecutive majors than any other active player? Scary, huh? Sergio is hitting it as well as anyone, and if his putter holds up, he could win.
4) Bubba Watson: If we could pick someone that could drop a 64 out there today, Phil is the first choice. Bubba is the second. You have to attack the par 5s here, and no one attacks them harder than Watson.
5) Freddie Couples: Freddie Smooth is a crowd favorite here and he would be the story of the year in golf he was able to be the oldest to win a major.
We'll be back to discuss the events of the day.
Jay was named the Sports Editor of the Times Free Press in 2003 and started with the newspaper in May 2002 as the Deputy Sports Editor. He was born and raised in Smyrna, Ga., and graduated from Auburn University before starting his newspaper career in 1997 with the Newnan (Ga.) Times Herald. Stops in Clayton and Henry counties in Georgia and two years as the Sports Editor of the Marietta (Ga.) Daily Journal preceded Jay’s ...