• Rock Spring United Methodist Church, 3477 Peavine Road, Rock Spring, Ga.; 10 a.m.-2 p.m. today; "Check My Ride," car care checks for single parents, including spouses of active duty military personnel, offers fluid levels check, oil/fluids top-off, tires/windshield wiper blades inspection and car wash (refreshments, children's entertainment provided); free; 910-491-6600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Christ United Methodist Church, 8645 East Brainerd Road; 3-6 p.m. today; Spring Fling features food, music, magicians, street theater, dodge ball tournament, square dance and meal packaging for Stop Hunger Now, plus children's activities such as inflatables, climbing wall and miniature golf; free; 892-9363.
• Lee University, Church Street Annex (formerly First Baptist Church), Cleveland, Tenn.; 6 p.m. Friday; Secret Church experience offers six-hour study of the New Testament, plus worship, prayer and testimony, led by Dr. Mark Walker, senior pastor of Mount Paran North, Atlanta; $10, students free and love offering received; 614-8420 or 614-8422.
• Pleasant Hill Community Church, 67 Church Drive (Adshead Hall, lower level of Fletcher House), Pleasant Hill, Tenn.; 6:30-8 p.m. CDT Friday and 9-11:45 a.m. Saturday, April 21; addresses by Dr. Robert Jensen, professor, School of Journalism, University of Texas: "All My Bones Shake: Seeking a Progressive Path to the Prophetic Voice (6:30 p.m. Friday), "Citizens of the Empire: The Struggle to Claim Our Humanity (Political Emotions and Patriotism)" (9 a.m. April 21) and "Media and Journalism in the Empire (Obedience and Disobedience in the Face of Power)" (10:30 a.m. April 21); shalomcenterpleasant hill.com.
• Dallas Bay Baptist Church, 8305 Daisy Dallas Road; Sunday; Hamilton County Baptist Association Bible drill; 267-3794.
• The Rev. William Terry Ladd III, pastor of First Baptist Church, East Eighth Street, has been inducted into the Martin Luther King Jr. Board of Preachers of Morehouse College. A Knoxville native, he is the 13th pastor in the church's 146-year history.
• Philadelphia Baptist, 1065 Pine Grove Road; Ringgold, Ga.; 6:30 p.m. Friday; gospel singing features The Durhams Quartet and Alvin Cummings; 706-891-5683.
• Mercy Baptist Church, Highway 68, Grandview, Tenn.; 11 a.m. Sunday; gospel concert by Jim Ricketts and Crystle Elam; 775-2806; also, Mooneyham Church of God, 2435 Mooneyham Lonewood Road, Spencer, Tenn., 5 p.m. CDT Sunday; and Sequoyah Church of God, 2007 Frankie Lane, Soddy-Daisy, 6 p.m. Thursday.
• The Rev. John Dukes and the Rev. Suzanne Burch have been tabbed as interim rector and deacon, respectively, at St. Timothy's Episcopal Church, 630 Mississippi Ave., Signal Mountain. ... The Rev. Jon Anderson has been named priest in charge at Christ Church-Episcopal, 663 Douglas St.
• New Enon Baptist Church, 2302 Wilcox Blvd.; 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, April 21; eighth annual women's conference, "All About God's Love," led by Terryl James of Hurst United Methodist Church, Joy Underwood of Trinity Baptist Church, Mamie Cooper of Friendship Primitive Baptist Church and the Rev. Jean Yates of Greater Tucker Baptist Church; $15 donation requested (includes continental breakfast, lunch); 629-9718.
• Sharon Pentecostal Deliverance Church of God, 1400 E. 48th St.; 7 p.m. Friday and 4:30 p.m. Saturday, April 21; youth revival led by pastor Anton Howard; 867-7088.
• Rock Island Baptist Church, 2106 Camden St.; 4 p.m. Sunday; Youth Empowerment Concert features Eden Gospel Choir of the University of North Carolina-Charlotte and Chattanooga's Freedom Conference Choir; 629-1704 or 504-0361.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...