Pianist Van Cliburn poses for a portrait at the Steinway & Sons showroom in New York on March 18, 1994. Renowned classical pianist Van Cliburn has been diagnosed with advanced bone cancer and is resting comfortably at his Texas home, his publicist said Monday Aug. 27, 2012. (AP Photo/Wyatt Counts, file)Photo by Associated Press /Chattanooga Times Free Press.
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. AS ISAAC NEARS, DARK MEMORIES OF KATRINA
Uneasy residents are assured that New Orleans' fortified levees can withstand the anticipated hurricane.
2. A NOT-SO-HEARTY PARTY AS CLOUDS GATHER
Politics has become an awkward enterprise at the GOP convention.
3. HOW ANTI-OBAMA FLICK SQUARES WITH THE FACTS
"2016: Obama's America" argues — unconvincingly — that Obama was heavily influenced by his father's leftist politics.
4. QURAN BURNING PROBE CITES POOR GUIDANCE, MISCOMMUNICATION
U.S. military says six soldiers got punishments but no criminal charges for the episode that roiled relations with Afghans.
5. A FEW SECONDS, 16 ROUNDS, 9 WOUNDED BYSTANDERS
Experts say the NYC shooting shows the challenges police juggle with semiautomatic weapons.
6. HOW SMOKING POT MAY AFFECT TEENS YEARS LATER
Research suggests that regular use before age 18 can cause a long-term drop in IQ.
7. WHY ONE STATION WON'T AIR 'THE NEW NORMAL'
Mormon church-owned KSL says the sitcom is "inappropriate on several dimensions, especially during family viewing time."
8. MEET THE MAN WHO STARTED THE PARALYMPICS
Sir Ludwig Guttmann, a neurosurgeon who fled the Nazis, pioneered the athletic competition as therapy for patients.
9. PIANIST VAN CLIBURN HAS ADVANCED BONE CANCER
He's performed for every president since Harry Truman and got New York's only ticker tape parade for a classical musician.
10. THE AX FALLS IN THE NFL
QB Vince Young is the biggest name to lose his job as pro football teams trim their rosters.