St. Peter to install Jones as pastor
St. Peter Missionary Baptist Church, 8120 Old Cleveland Pike, will install Keith M. Jones Sr. as pastor in a service at 3 p.m. Sunday at New Hope Missionary Baptist Church, 3777 Wilcox Blvd.
Jones has served as interim pastor of the church since the beginning of the year. Prior to that, he was assistant pastor at New Hope Baptist Church from 2010 to 2012. Before that, he was youth pastor from 1997 to 2005 and then assistant pastor from 2003 to 2010 at Olivet Baptist Church.
He was licensed to preach in 1992, ordained in 1999 and first served as youth pastor of New Hope Baptist from 1992 to 1997.
Jones graduated from Howard High School in 1986 and attended Beulah Baptist College.
He is married.
* Brainerd Hills Baptist Church, 6611 E. Brainerd Road; 6 p.m. Sunday; adult choir/orchestra presentation, "One of Us" (followed by reception); 892-6645.
* Collegedale Community Church, 4995 Swinyar Drive; 5:30 p.m. today; Joyful Christmas" concert; free or listen live at collegedale community.com; 396-5464.
* Daisy United Methodist Church, 9508 Dayton Pike, Soddy-Daisy; 6 p.m. today; concert by Derek Smartt; 332-3243.
* Daisy United Methodist Church, 9508 Dayton Pike, Soddy-Daisy; 10:45 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 23; choir and Blaylock Family and Friends offer "Smoky Mountain Christmas," a program of best-loved carols; free; 332-3243.
* First-Centenary United Methodist Church, 419 McCallie Ave.; 3 p.m. Sunday; Festival of Lessons and Carols features more than 100 singers, ringers and players of brass, percussion and strings; free; 756-2021.
* Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 822 Belvoir Ave.; 6:30 p.m. Wednesday; Advent music concert features Jericho Brass; free but offering taken; 629-4661.
* Hickory Valley Christian Church, 6605 Shallowford Road; 6 p.m. Dec. 15-16; "Finding Room," original play offers notion the Christmas season has become too busy and people need to slow down and focus on the reason for the season (followed by cheesecake reception); free; nursery/preschool child care provided; 892-4270.
* Jones Memorial United Methodist Church, 4131 Ringgold Road; 6 p.m. Dec. 16; Pioneer Christmas dinner/music celebration; $12 adults, $6 children ages 4-12 ($14 and $7 after Sunday); $5 child care; 624-6073.
* One Accord Community Church, 343 Sweetland Drive, Red Bank; 6 p.m. Dec. 23; musical, "Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"; 875-8377 or www.oneaccord communitychurch.org.
* Pilgrim Congregational Church, 400 Glenwood Drive; 7 p.m. today; concert of traditional Christmas music and carols by Brad Bryan on contemporary organ and piano (reception follows); free; child care available by reservation; 698-5682 or www.pilgrim-church.com.
* St. Francis of Assisi Episcopal Church, 7555 Ooltewah-Georgetown Road, Ooltewah; 6 p.m. Wednesdays through Dec. 19; Stations of the Nativity walk-through; 238-7708 or www.sfaec.org.
* St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 305 W. Seventh St.; 12:05 p.m. Wednesday; 65th annual weekly Advent concert features Vox Virili Men's Consort ($6 lunch and/or Holy Eucharist follow); free but freewill offering welcome; 266-8195.
* Signal Crest United Methodist Church, 1005 Ridgeway Ave., Signal Mountain; 11 a.m. Sunday; choirs and orchestra presentation, "A Celebration of Carols"; free; 886-2330.
* Simpson United Methodist Church, 601 McFarland Ave., Rossville, Ga.; 3 p.m. Sunday; choir cantata, "Christmas! I Love to Tell the Story" (reception follows); 706-866-3410.
(For a complete list of Advent/Christmas activities in churches submitted to the Times Free Press, see www.timesfreepress.com.)
* Jubilee Baptist Church, 11811 Clift Mill Road, Soddy-Daisy, Tenn.; 11 a.m. Sunday; concert by Jim Ricketts and Crystle Elam; 775-2806; also at Union Springs Baptist Church, 523 Roberts Mills Road, 6 p.m. Sunday; Cleveland Cowboy Church, 3040 Blythe Road, Cleveland, Tenn., 7 p.m. Friday.
* First Baptist Church, 401 Gateway Ave.; noon Thursday; Scenic City Women's Network monthly luncheon features roundtable discussions, networking and ornament exchange; reservations deadline Tuesday; 698-6262 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...