Residents of several Valleybrook Townhomes evacuated their homes Friday morning as Chattanooga firefighters battled a fire at 6403 Brookmead Circle.
Five townhomes were involved, according to Chattanooga Department spokesman Bruce Garner.
Capt. Richard Britt said all of the residents were safely outside the five-unit complex. However, residents said one woman who lived in the complex might still be inside, a news release said.
Lt. Kenny Fairchild forced his way into the townhome, Garner said.
After finding no one downstairs, Fairchild went upstairs to find a woman watching closed-caption television. Neighbors said she was deaf. Fairchild informed the woman about the fire and asked her to leave for her own safety.
The damage was estimated at $50,000. No injuries were reported, according to the news release.
The cause of the fire appears to be accidental. Capt. Anthony Moore with the fire investigation division said the fire most likely was started by an electrical malfunction in the utility room, the news release stated.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right: