published Thursday, July 26th, 2012

5-at-10: Bray in the saddle, Starting young and Braves' off day

Gang, we're in the air as you read this, on the way to NYC. We're going to move quickly today and we'll have Friday's mailbag but we're not sure how much will be be around, so you cats play nice.

From the "Talks too much" Studios, here we go...

Bray in the saddle

As our UT ace Downtown Patrick Brown shared here http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/jul/26/uts-bray-linked-to-vandalism-tennessee/, Vols quarterback Tyler Bray has found some hot water for throwing beer bottles and golf balls at cars.

Not good. Not good at all.

OK, in the grand scheme of things and in the wake of the college football scandals that have dominated the news, this is small potatoes.

Where this is especially not good is that UT has to have a reliable, effective and mature Bray to reach anything close to the growing expectations on an offense that could range from good to special.

Bray is the key to the Vols' season — and coach Derek Dooley's future in a lot of ways.

Not a good start.

————

  • photo
    Tennessee quarteback Tyler Bray attends the Southeastern Conference NCAA college football media days in Hoover, Ala.
    Photo by Associated Press /Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Starting young

Our ace columnist Mark Wiedmer told us about Washington offering a 14-year-old http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/jul/26/ncaa-chief-emmert-may-yet-rue-his-rhetoric/.

It's definitely an awkward spot for the future of recruiting. How young is too young? With every story like this we are more and more convinced we need an early signing period.

To be fair, this is hardly the first time this has happened — remember Lane Kiffin infamously offering Eric Berry's little brothers when they were in middle school.

Not to be out done LSU also offered middle schooler Dylan Moses, a 6-foot, 200-pound eight-grader who ran a 4.46 40 at the Tigers camp.

"I was kind of shocked when I first heard it — it was a dream come true," Moses, 14, said. "I've always wanted to play for LSU since I was a kid."

Son, you're still a kid.

————

  • photo
    Atlanta Braves left fielder Martin Prado, left, is unable to tag out Miami Marlins' Donovan Solano as Solano steals second base during the third inning of a baseball game, Wednesday July 25, 2012, in Miami. A Marlins Park-record crowd of 36,711 watched the home team steal seven bases, the most in the major leagues this season and the high for the team since 2002. The Braves won 7-1.
    Photo by Associated Press /Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Off day

The Braves are off after taking two of three from Miami, which has officially tossed in the towel.

Your thoughts on Atlanta's playoff chances?

We still believe they have what it takes, but they need another starting pitcher.

And who is giving Ryan Dempster career advice, Dwight Howard?

————

This and that (special Olympic version)

Friend of the show RJ Bell of pregame.com sends along some interesting odds from the Olympic Games, which start this weekend. Enjoy the following:

— Basketball: Team USA winning Gold Medal: $750 wins $100 (implying 87% chance); Any Other Team winning Gold Medal: $100 wins $650 (implying 13% chance); Over/under of the largest margin of victory by Team USA in any game: 50.5 points

— Most Overall Medals: USA: 60% chance ($400 wins $100); China 30% chance ($100 wins $150); Rest of World: 10% chance ($100 wins $650)

— Over/under on the number of USA Medals: 38.5

— Michael Phelps: Will Michael Phelps win more Gold Medals than Spain’s entire Olympic Team? Spain: $180 wins $100 (62% chance); Phelps: $100 wins $150 (38% chance)

— Number of Phelps Gold Medals:
Zero: $100 wins $5,000 (2% chance)
One: $100 wins $2,500 (3% chance)
Two: $100 wins $600 (11% chance)
Three: $100 wins $300 (20% chance)
Four: $100 wins $200 (26% chance)
Five: $100 wins $300 (20% chance)
Six: $100 wins $500 (13% chance)
Seven: $100 wins $1,600 (5% chance)

— Usain Bolt is favored to win more Gold Medals than Greece’s entire Olympic Team! Bolt winning more gold: $135 wins $100 (55% chance); Greece: $100 wins $105 (45% chance)

— Crazy Props: The over/under of the number of athletes stripped of medals due to positive drug tests: 5.5; Will Olympic flame singe Boris Johnson’s hair during the ceremony? $100 pays $3,300 (33 to 1); Will the Olympic Village to run out of condoms during the games? $100 pays $600 (6 to 1)

— Amount of Action: British bookmakers are expecting to take $80 Million in wagers
(which is TEN TIMES more than Beijing Games, but less than Nevada books take on Super Bowl)

—————

Today's question

Let's keep this simple: Will Tyler Bray miss game time for his involvement in the vandalism acts?

With a bonus question: If you're Johnny Vols Fan, are you comfortable with Bray — who appears to be every bit the million-dollar arm and 5-cent head that Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh was — being the key to your chances this year?

Discuss.

about Jay Greeson...

Jay was named the Sports Editor of the Times Free Press in 2003 and started with the newspaper in May 2002 as the Deputy Sports Editor. He was born and raised in Smyrna, Ga., and graduated from Auburn University before starting his newspaper career in 1997 with the Newnan (Ga.) Times Herald. Stops in Clayton and Henry counties in Georgia and two years as the Sports Editor of the Marietta (Ga.) Daily Journal preceded Jay’s ...

11
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
Blueoval said...

Bray's a bone head but I'm a lot more comfortable with him as the key to our chances this season than I am our kickers....who have proved to be awful!!! (Wonder if Penn State's kickers want to transfer?) That's kind of flown under the radar but in close games this year it will be down right scarey. Enjoy the Big Apple,

July 26, 2012 at 10:14 a.m.
ordinaryguy said...

The NCAA set the precedent in the Penn State scandal...criminal activity is subject to sanctions...where is Emmert???

The orange kool aid drinkers think this is going to be the return to greatness, when realistically Bray might as well have been throwing the stuff at Dooley...

Well played JG on the comparison of Bray to Ebbie Calvin...Only difference Nuke had Crash Davis as a mentor and poor Bray has Tennessee Tuxedo (Dooley)

July 26, 2012 at 10:35 a.m.
Stewwie said...

[Will Tyler Bray miss game time for his involvement in the vandalism acts?]

Probably not. SHOULD he miss game time? Yes. I think Dooley ought to sit him out for the first quarter against N.C. State, not only for the act itself, but also for the stupidity behind the act. The partial-game suspension would also be a good message for the rest of Da team as well (if you catch my drift). If the star QB isn't immune from suspension, then nobody on the team is either.

Likely though, the voices in Dooley's head will keep reminding him about the importance of having a good season this year, and he'll simply resort to "handling the matter internally."

Have a great time in NYC.

July 26, 2012 at 10:41 a.m.
CardVol said...

Tyler Bray is no doubt immature as a soon to be junior QB at Tennessee. I find it difficult to measure his level of immaturity versus an NFL QB who is 40 years of age texting his private parts to a lady half his age while married with children at home. Apparently this immaturity and character issue can last a long time. That being said, I think Tyler still has a chance to get through this and be a top level player in the SEC and beyond. Just dont park your car near his house.

July 26, 2012 at 10:52 a.m.
fechancellor said...

Blueoval, that's some mighty fine thinking on stealing away Penn State's kicking game and getting it to work for the Vols, a team in dire need accuracy and strength. Doubt Dooley has given this Al Davis/Nick Saban like move any thought at all. Dooley may have coached for Saban, but the Vols' coach ain't no Saban.

Whatever happens, Bray first needs return to campus. Second he may play in the opener against NC State--but not until the second half.

What I can positively see is Bray choked in Dooley's office like Homer on Bart.

July 26, 2012 at 10:59 a.m.
ordinaryguy said...

Right on point fechancellor...for the Clorox Orange (thanks weeds) it is too bad Dooley isn't more like Saban...

July 26, 2012 at 11:32 a.m.
Livn4life said...

Great balls other than pigskinned ones, this is sadly ridiculous! I see Bray as still needing to prove himself on the big stage against quality and big time SEC talent. I'm all for him and think he can get it done. If after the UK fiasco, lovingly still mentioned too often, he doesn't feel he has something to prove, the Vols are in big trouble. He needs to get it right and keep it right. Otherwise, someone else(JW)will take his spot and DD might be looking for another job come Nov. Time will tell but this is no way to stumble out of July into August. I will be extremely surprised if he misses any time because of this UNLESS something more than has been reported shows up. RECRUITING:.....................that is all to be written about messing with middle schoolers. When shame went out the window in sports and entertainment in this country, anyone and anything is fare game. SPECIAL OLYMPICS? That subject I know something about and I think they are amazing!

July 26, 2012 at 1:21 p.m.
jomo11 said...

Bray is an idiot . . . .He along with DaRick ( another bonehead ) will seal Dooley's doom . . . however if you are NOT a VOLS fan you really need UTK to win 8 games, so Dooley will remain as coach. With the VERY easy schedule, 8 games should also be easy

July 26, 2012 at 2:18 p.m.
chas9 said...

Braying is good today. Blue is right to mention the kickers. Wonder how the 8-2 predictors forgot that part of the game.

July 26, 2012 at 2:31 p.m.
Todd962 said...

Being a Tennessee fan is a frustrating life. Its hard to defend a guy who is a bonafide window pane licker when he continues to go out and do stupid things like this. I have likely been victim to his same kind of stupidity, the kind which is caused by the previously contents of his weapon of choice, but I've also never been the leader of a D1 football school with a season on my shoulders. And I dont see Dooley being too harsh on him either due to the current volatility of his job security and his fondness of self preservation. If Dooley was smart he would find Bray a chaperone to ride his back tat and make sure he doesnt repeat anything this stupid until the season is over.

July 26, 2012 at 3:01 p.m.
fechancellor said...

Bray's future is easy to predict. He'll be the guy at the end of the hollar rocking on the porch of his double-wide shooting at all the junked cars in the front yard.

July 26, 2012 at 3:29 p.m.
please login to post a comment

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.