Eight people have been arrested on a variety of charges after a sweep by the DeKalb County, Ala., sheriff's office and the drug task force.
Sheriff Jimmy Harris said in a news release that investigators and deputies "conducted several searches and made numerous traffic stops in an attempt to locate and apprehend people responsible for thefts, burglaries and drug activity in these communities."
One traffic stop turned into a short pursuit near Geraldine, Harris said. Don Lyn Lemley, 28, of Fyffe, was charged with having a controlled substance, marijuana and paraphernalia and with attempting to elude. A passenger, Meri Lea Hearn, 26, of Geraldine, was charged with possessing marijuana and drug paraphernalia.
Another traffic stop nabbed Johnnie Mac Uptain, 60, of Albertville. Drug agents saw him toss a bag from his vehicle. They retrieved it and found a drug pipe and paraphernalia.
Other arrests included:
• Damon Allen Clements, 33, of Dawson: Failure to comply, resisting arrest
• Jeffery Lee Gibbs. 34, of Dawson: Failure to comply
• Sandy Buford Tims, 52, of County Road 351: Marijuana II and possession of drug paraphernalia
• Mark Anton Desinger, 47, of Albertville: Possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia. Desinger had meth-making equipment and product, Harris said.
• Jerry Lee "Pete" West, 54, of Ider: Possession of methamphetamine, drug paraphernalia and meth lab components.