The Workout Anytime storefront on Cherokee Boulevard is one of three in Chattanooga. The exercise facilities allow members access 24 hours a day.
• Name: Workout Anytime
• Local units: 248 Northgate Mall in Hixson, 25 Cherokee Blvd. on the North Shore and 221 Ocoee Crossing in Cleveland, Tenn. "We'd like to have at least one or two more units in the Chattanooga market," said franchise developer Greg Parker.
• Franchise owner: Greg Tibbs, who converted his Studio 360 on the North Shore to Workout Anytime in July 2010.
• Products and services: Atlanta-based Workout Anytime is a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week fitness concept with 36 units in the Southeast. Parker, who is selling franchises in Tennessee and Kentucky, said the model is to offer exercise equipment and options used by most people at a third of the cost of some high-end spas. "We don't offer all of the amenities like day care, juice bars and group fitness programs, and it only takes a few people to run each store," said Parker, who sold his previous eight-restaurant Domino's Pizza franchise to focus on the Workout Anytime concept.
• Access: Members have a key card, and with security cameras each facility may be used by members any time of the day or night.
• Investment: Equipment usually costs up to $275,000 per unit
• Fees and admission: Admission prices range from $49 to $79. Monthly fees are $15 a month without a contract. For another $10 a month, you can add use of hydro massages, tanning booths and "buddy passes" to bring a friend with you to the center.
• Typical size unit: 5,000 to 6,000 square feet. The average unit has about 1,700 members.
Dave Flessner is the business editor for the Times Free Press. A journalist for 35 years, Dave has been business editor and projects editor for the Chattanooga Times Free Press, city editor for The Chattanooga Times, business and county reporter for the Chattanooga Times, correspondent for the Lansing State Journal and Ingham County News in Michigan, staff writer for the Hastings Daily Tribune in Nebraska, and news director for WCBN-FM in Michigan. Dave, a native ...