Blessing of the animals
• Brooks Memorial United Methodist Church, 1543 Mercer St., Lupton City; 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 27; 877-1110.
• St. John's United Methodist Church, 3931 Murray Hills Drive; 6-10 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 27; "Tip-Off Dance" features disc jockey Shanni Hedden Palmer performing her Patsy Cline show; $17.50 couples, $10 singles, $7 students ($5 nursery, free movie for children ages 9-12); proceeds benefit church's Upward Basketball program; 718-4780.
• Orchard Knob Missionary Baptist Church, 1734 E. Third St.; 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Oct. 27, and 5 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 28; theatrical production, "Choices: Breaking the Generational Curse," finds hard-working, inner-city, single mother of three trying to ensure her youngest daughter does not continue the family trend of teen pregnancy and dropping out of school; $10; 544-2208.
• First Baptist Church, 201 N. Main St., LaFayette, Ga.; 7:30 p.m. Tuesday; inspirational message by Sid Bream, former Atlanta Braves first baseman; free; 706-638-3727 or www.fbclafayette.com.
• Hickory Valley Christian Church, 6951 Lee Highway (Bi-Lo); 5-7 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 28; "Takin' It to the Streets" event features live music, games, popcorn and prizes; free; 902-4585.
• Covenant Life Worship Center, 7001 LaFayette Road, Chickamauga, Ga.; 7-10 p.m. Friday through Monday, Oct. 29; "Hayride Through Hell," presentation of life-after-death realities for ages 13-up; free (groups of 15 or more need reservations); 706-375-5286.
• Tivoli Theatre, 709 Broad St.; 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 27; Worship and Ministry Network's 2012 Zeta Awards featuring The Faith Gospel Singers, The Sons of Praise, The Unique Sons of Faith, Bishop Fred Thomas and the Voices of Faith, Virtue Mime Ministry, God's Image, Lil Chris & Reunited, The New Converted Voices, Terry 100%, Kim Ruff, Psalmist Marie Moore, Jasmine Le'Shea, Hasan Green and pastors James Bolton and Ester Graham; $20-$25; 320-4220 or 355-9916.
• St. John United Methodist Church, 3931 Murray Hills Drive; 5:30-9:30 p.m. Monday and Monday, Oct. 29; First Things First-sponsored Maximize Your Marriage seminar offers couples skills to start healing a troubled marriage (includes dinner); free but registration needed; 267-5383 or firstthings.org.
• Hamilton County Baptist Association, 6625 Lee Highway (McMillan Gym); 6:30 p.m. Tuesday (deadline for meal has passed); Hamilton County Baptist Association annual meeting; free; 267-3794 or email hcba@ baptistassociation.com.
• Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul, 214 E. Eighth St.; 7 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 28; sacred music concert features the Rev. Thomas O'Connell (organ), Melinda Grohman (violin) and Dr. Donald Grohman (cello) (refreshments follow); free but love offering taken for education/formation expenses for diocesan seminarians; email lisad firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Conn Center, 150 11th St. (Lee University), Cleveland, Tenn.; 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 28; singer/songwriter John Mark McMillan, three-time Gospel Music Association Dove Award nominee, featured artist for U-Church, a nontraditional worship service for students, alumni and community; free; 614-8347 or http://thejohnmark.com.
• Mount Olive Ministries, 3522 Harrison Pike West, Cleveland, Tenn.; 6 p.m. Sunday; concert by the Collingsworth Family; free but love offering received; 715-9529.
• Oakwood Community Church, 3927 Webb Road; 6 p.m. Sunday; singing features 2x2 quartet and United by One; free; 648-9388.
• Powerline Ministry, Crossville, Tenn.; 4 p.m. CDT today; concert by Jim Ricketts and Crystle Elam; 775-2806; also at Grace Bible Church, 147 Main St South, Dunlap, Tenn., 5 p.m. CDT Sunday.
• Philadelphia Baptist Church, 1065 Pine Grove Road, Ringgold, Ga.; 6:30 p.m. Friday; weekly singing features The Pells and Dana Russell; 706-891-5683.
• Rock Spring Baptist Church, 194 E. Turnip Seed Road, Rock Spring, Ga.; 10:30 p.m. Sunday; homecoming concert by the Quicks; 706-375-5345.
• First Baptist Church, 401 Gateway Ave.; noon Tuesday; Scenic City Women's Network monthly luncheon features message, "Flourishing in the Seasons of Life," by chaplain/teacher/ministry assistant Flo Samuels; $10 members, $12 visitors; reservations deadline Tuesday; 698-6262 or email email@example.com.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...