published Wednesday, September 12th, 2012

Sentencing next for Myles Stout (with video)

  • photo
    Attorney Hank Hill leads defendant Myles Stout out of Judge Barry Steelman's courtroom Monday afternoon. A jury returned verdicts on three charges against Stout, finding him not guilty of second-degree murder, but guilty on charges of reckless homicide and reckless endangerment. Stout shot and killed Myles Compton in March 2011.
    Photo by Jake Daniels /Chattanooga Times Free Press.

  • Myles Stout found guilty of reckless homicide, reckless endangerment
    A Hamilton County Jury today found Myles Stout guilty of reckless homicide and reckless endangerment in connection with the death of Myles Compton in a March 9, 2011, shooting. Stout was found not guilty of second-degree murder. A sentencing hearing will be held Nov. 5.

A 21-year-old faces a prison sentence of two to four years after a jury found him guilty of reckless homicide in the shooting death of an 18-year-old.

The jury deliberated 21/2 hours Tuesday at the end of a five-day trial before finding Myles Stout, 21, not guilty of the original charge of second-degree murder, which carries a 15- to 25-year sentence.

The jury also found Stout guilty of reckless endangerment but a sentence on that charge likely will run concurrently to the first sentence. A sentencing hearing is scheduled Nov. 5 before Hamilton County Criminal Court Judge Barry Steelman.

Stout is free on bond.

Stout's attorney, Hank Hill, said a video of his client's interview with police shortly after the March 9, 2011, shooting was crucial.

"Mr. Stout got a chance to tell his story," Hill said.

In the video, Stout first lies to the investigator, saying that Compton shot himself, but later confesses he pulled the trigger, not knowing the .40-caliber Sig Sauer handgun was loaded.

The bullet entered Compton's chest, and he died moments later.

Prosecutor Lance Pope said after the verdict that he was confident all the evidence was put before the jurors and they had to make a tough decision.

"I think the jury's outcome is a reasonable outcome and the district attorney's office appreciates their hard work," Pope said.

Under Tennessee Department of Correction guidelines, Stout could be eligible for parole in eight months to 14 months, depending on his sentence.

Witnesses testified that Stout was at 9125 Stoney Mountain Drive, the home of Kevin Driscoll, when Kevin West and Myles Stout came to visit. Daniel Finley and Amanda Freeman were also at the house at the time of the shooting.

Driscoll got out the Sig Sauer and a Smith & Wesson 9 mm handgun to show the guests and unloaded them before passing them around. A short time later, Stout picked up the Sig Sauer, pointed it into Compton's chest and fired.

Contact staff writer Todd South at 423-757-6347 or

about Todd South...

Todd South covers courts, poverty, technology, military and veterans for the Times Free Press. He has worked at the paper since 2008 and previously covered crime and safety in Southeast Tennessee and North Georgia. Todd’s hometown is Dodge City, Kan. He served five years in the U.S. Marine Corps and deployed to Iraq before returning to school for his journalism degree from the University of Georgia. Todd previously worked at the Anniston (Ala.) Star. Contact ...

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.