This is the time of year when companies converge on college campuses looking for the best and brightest students. Recruiters battle it out to lure potential interns to their branding and recruiting events in hopes of enticing them to intern at their company. For students, it’s the ultimate opportunity to get a foot in the door at a company where they’d like to work.
Ebony Thomas, director of campus recruiting at Prudential Financial, says there are many things when trying to find an internship this fall. Here are a few.
• It’s all about dressing for success. If students don’t have the appropriate clothes for recruiting events, it's time to shop for a look that sends the right message to recruiters and hiring managers.
• The ability to expand personal networks and make new friends is one of the best perks of finding the perfect internship. At each event a student attends, there are opportunities to meet and get to know representatives from many different companies. Thomas also suggests networking with upperclassmen who have connected with the employers in the past.
• Interviewing is an essential part of landing the internship, and by far the most challenging. Knowing what to say and how to say it is invaluable.
Meeting with different company representatives and recruiters can help you polish interpersonal skills that are key to successful interviews.
• For those who are truly committed to finding an internship, it’s the perfect opportunity to learn to sell yourself. Learn to be an advocate for yourself.
• Learning new skills that may lead to leadership opportunities and also transfer back into the classroom are key reasons why finding the internship is both useful and fun.