Forty programs will take place next week that highlight the importance of Tennessee's 82 officially designated natural areas. Tennessee State Natural Areas Week, Saturday-April 14, will include wildflower hikes, canoe trips, guided tours and volunteer efforts.
RSVPs are required for some events, so that leaders may notify participants of cancellations in case of rain. Some also have limited space.
The complete schedule of events and trip details can be found at at the Division of Natural Areas website, www.tn.gov/environment/na, which has links to each site. Or call the main office at 615-532-0431.
Here are some of the events taking place in Southeast Tennessee:
• Laurel Falls hike, Dayton, 9 a.m., 423-309-9012, Andrew.Wright@tn.gov.
• Collins Gulf hike at Savage Gulf State Natural Area, 9 a.m., 615-418-5787, Randy.Hedgepath@tn.gov.
• Guided spring wildflower walk at Ozone Falls State Natural Area, 9 a.m., RSVP by today, to Monica.Johnson@tn.gov.
• Waterfall hike from Collins West parking lot at South Cumberland State Park near Gruetli-Laager, 10 a.m. CDT, 931-924-2980.
• Natural Spring Splendor of the Piney Falls State Natural Area, 1 p.m. CDT, RSVP by today to Monica.Johnson@tn.gov.
• Short Springs Wildflower Pilgrimage, Tullahoma, 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. CDT, 931-461-0262.
• Grundy Forest privet pull at South Cumberland State Park, 1 p.m. CDT, 931-924-2980.
• Savage Gulf/Stone Door slide show at Savage Gulf Ranger Station at South Cumberland State Park, 3 p.m. CDT, 931-924-2980.
• Savage Falls hike at South Cumberland State Park, 10 a.m., 931-924-2980.
Friday, April 12
• Natural Bridge geology talk, South Cumberland State Park, 2 p.m. CDT, 931-924-2980.
Saturday, April 13
• Stinging Fork Falls hike, Spring City, 9 a.m., 423-240-2239, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Wild Spring Splendor of the Laurel-Snow State Natural Area, 10 a.m., RSVP by Thursday, April 11, to Lisa.Huff@tn.gov.
• Sequatchie Cave State Natural Area & Town Creek Splash in Marion County, 11 a.m. CDT, RSVP by Monday, April 8, to 615-532-0441, David.Withers@tn.gov.
• Are You Batty? (children 5 and older) at Savage Gulf Ranger Station at South Cumberland State Park, 2 p.m. CDT, 931-924-2980.
Sunday, April 14
• Fiery Gizzard hike in Grundy Forest State Natural Area, 10 a.m. CDT, 615-418-5787, Randy.Hedgepath@tn.gov.
• Wildflower jaunt at Piney Falls State Natural Area and Piney River segment of Cumberland Trail, 2 p.m., RSVP by Friday, April 12, to Lisa.Huff@tn.gov.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right: