Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- MASSIVE BLAST AT TEXAS FERTILIZER PLANT
The explosion at a small town near Waco killed 5 to 15 people, injured more than 160 and could be heard for miles.
- INVESTIGATORS HOPE IMAGE LEADS THEM TO BOMBING SUSPECT
Department store surveillance video captured a man dropping a bag near the site of the marathon bombings.
- PRESIDENT HEADS TO BOSTON
Obama is attending an interfaith service after Monday’s bombings killed three, wounded more than 170 and put the nation on edge.
- WHAT RICIN LETTER SUSPECT WROTE ABOUT
The Mississippi man accused of mailing poison letters to the president and a U.S. senator wrote online about a government conspiracy to ruin his reputation.
- GUN CONTROL DIES IN THE SENATE
Republicans lead a rejection of tighter background checks and other measures despite pleas from families of Newtown victims.
- MUSHARRAF FLEES AFTER BAIL REVOKED
The former Pakistani military ruler pushed past policemen and fled court after he was ordered to jail on treason charges.
- WOMAN IMPLICATES HUSBAND IN TEXAS SLAYINGS
She says the ex-judge fatally shot the local DA and two others he apparently blamed for the loss of his job.
- THE DEBATE ABOUT MARATHON BOMBINGS AND TERRORISM
The AP’s Jesse Washington writes that dictionaries define terror as the use of violence to pursue political goals, while the motive in the marathon bombings isn’t known.
- WHY SPAIN’S PRIZED HORSES ARE HEADED FOR SLAUGHTERHOUSE
Breeders of the “Pura Raza Espanola” horses featured in Hollywood epics are no longer able to pay for their upkeep because of hard economic times.
- BOSTON CHEERS AS SPORTS RESUMES IN SHOCKED CITY
The Boston Bruins lost to the Sabres, but both teams hoisted their sticks after a slideshow of marathon scenes to a sellout crowd.