published Sunday, August 4th, 2013

Congressional Recess

about Clay Bennett...

The son of a career army officer, Bennett led a nomadic life, attending ten different schools before graduating in 1980 from the University of North Alabama with degrees in Art and History. After brief stints as a staff artist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Fayetteville (NC) Times, he went on to serve as the editorial cartoonist for the St. Petersburg Times (1981-1994) and The Christian Science Monitor (1997-2007), before joining the staff of the ...

110
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
John_Proctor said...

And on returning, the first thing the House will do is vote for the 41st time to repeal the ACA. That vote will have the same impact as votes 1-40 did. What's the old saying about a fanatic being unable to change his mind or the subject?

August 4, 2013 at 12:43 a.m.
librul said...

Looks like a Republican improvised explosive device - must be those Pee Party insurgents again ...

August 4, 2013 at 1:13 a.m.
fairmon said...

There will be a last minute approval with some agreements that may or may not occur in the future. It is amazing with all the waste and fraud throughout government that no one in D.C. can prevent the increases in spending. The bad reaction to the poorly managed sequester is because some were not granted a spending increase. The tactic used if the increase is not approved is to cut where it hurts people the most, not where it reduces foreign aid, subsidies and other non essential items.

August 4, 2013 at 7:26 a.m.
jesse said...

That clocks been tickin ever since the new deal went into affect!

Way over due to blow up in our faces!!

August 4, 2013 at 8:18 a.m.
joneses said...

If Obamacare is as good as we have been told, then why are Governors concerned and Democratic Congresspersons up for re-election separating themselves from Obamacare until after the election?

Shouldn't all Democrats be shouting how great Obamacare is and that they voted for it? That is to say, if Obamacare as good as we have been told...

August 4, 2013 at 9:04 a.m.
soakya said...

The ACA is so good many unions who originally supported it don't want it, congress is passing laws so their staffers will not be included and the head of the IRS doesn't want it. And the president has delayed implementation for business's for 1 year. Yeah it's great.

August 4, 2013 at 9:24 a.m.
alprova said...

Flap, flap, flap...

August 4, 2013 at 9:48 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

Time for a REAL 3rd party to emerge.

August 4, 2013 at 10:37 a.m.
Maximus said...

Uh hello! Clay Boy I think it's Berry The Spend Spend Spend Transformational Welfare Pimp who could care less about a budget not Congress. Obama has bounced more checks than Alprova and his wife.

Congress is doing a fantastic job of blocking most of Obama's old, worn out, never works, lazy, Marxist utopian, Socialist agenda. There are some losers that need government to make things fair for them. Thank God that me and my family are not one of them.

Shutting down the government would be a good thing. Loser, leftist, pot smoking, abortion loving, irresponsible, Democrats on disability, unemployment, EBT food cards, and Obama phone would have to eventually get a damn job, mowing my estate for instance, and the illegals would have to go back to Mehico! Problem solved! You're welcome! Cheers! :)$

August 4, 2013 at 11:17 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

Why are so many US embassies closed today? Employees getting day off to celebrate Obama's victory over Al Queda? That it?

August 4, 2013 at 11:24 a.m.
Maximus said...

Why do we have multi-billion dollar embassy's and staff in Islamic countries any way? Besides I thought all of the Islamic world was going to now love us because Obama was such a leader of the world? Not so much!

August 4, 2013 at 11:47 a.m.
tifosi said...

Dumb and Dumber speak

August 4, 2013 at 11:50 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

Terror threat prompts high-level meeting at White House. guess who was absent?

August 4, 2013 at noon
Maximus said...

Tifosi....is that your Mom driving you to the unemployment office? Back off Tony Soprano....

August 4, 2013 at 12:01 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Terror threat prompts high-level meeting at White House. guess who was absent? Guess who's chairing the meeting? you can't make this shiz up

August 4, 2013 at 12:07 p.m.
rick1 said...

PT, Obama can not be bothered because today is his birthday. Besides all this talk about threats from Al-Qaeda is phony anyways because Obama has told us that the war on terror was as good as over.

August 4, 2013 at 12:27 p.m.
librul said...

Terror threats my arse - maybe they'll bring back the old "threat level stoplight" imagery or drop some tainted letters in the mail to cower the masses or fire up a false-flag operation to satisfy their desire for martial law and quiet the people's clamor for restoring rule of law and ending the surveillance state.

August 4, 2013 at 12:36 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

true, rick. let's relax and go see Tiffany at the go-kart track.

August 4, 2013 at 12:36 p.m.
gypsylady said...

soakya said...

The ACA is so good many unions who originally supported it don't want it, congress is passing laws so their staffers will not be included and the head of the IRS doesn't want it. And the president has delayed implementation for business's for 1 year. Yeah it's great.

One of the reasons the unions are having trouble with the ACA is that it takes away one of their bargaining issues. Until Congress comes up with something better, my votes and my dollars will go to those who will work to overhaul our healthcare delivery system. Pure obstructionism doesn't cut it for me and my family. The status quo isn't working, hasn't for years. We're tired of watching our costs go up to cover the uninsured - and we understand that medical insurance is completely out of reach for many people. Those of us in the middle want solutions, not rhetoric.

August 4, 2013 at 12:44 p.m.
rick1 said...

The below link is called Obamacare Burden Tracker, which includes 157 different rules and regulations that make up the 127 million hours of paperwork per year.

There is no way our health insurance costs are going to go down, and OvomitCare was never intended to do what Obama and others told us it would.

OvomitCare is not about providing affordable healthcare to everyone, this is about the government taking control our lives.

http://waysandmeans.house.gov/uploadedfiles/aca_burden_tracker_.pdf

August 4, 2013 at 12:59 p.m.
alprova said...

Maximyth wrote: "Obama has bounced more checks than Alprova and his wife."

Can you prove that so much as one check written by the President has ever bounced from any of his personal accounts? His signature does not appear on so much as one Government check issued to a soul.

My wife bounced one, about 30 years ago, but please, don't let me stand in your way in using that in your stupid, fictitious ignorance filled rants.

"...Democrats on disability..."

Oh my goodness, I was totally unaware that throughout this entire nation, that not one Republican cheerleader was receiving Social Security disability benefits.

Maximyth indeed.

August 4, 2013 at 1:01 p.m.
alprova said...

PT wrote: "Dumb and Dumber speak"

Armchair political operatives are the worst. They sit there all day combing the web for news and information and come up with their own assessments based on what the read.

For days, I believe it was "Dumb" who has been posting updates on the Benghazi hearings, in the belief that those of us who support the President should be quaking in our little pink bunny slippers, because they are closer to pinning it all on him.

The criticism seems to come down to a lack of protection for those who were in Benghazi on September 11, 2012.

Today, our Government and the State Department is doing all they possibly can to protect Americans from harm, and for some reason, any unrest in the Middle East is all Obama's fault.

It could never have anything to do with American aggression in the Middle East that was started 12 years ago when GWB ordered troops into Afghanistan, and two years later into Iraq, and that Obama has become the face that is planted on protest signs because he is the current American President, and because we still have troops in the Middle East, and other military operations ongoing in other nations in the area as well.

When GWB was the face in fighting Islamic terrorism, there was little dissension by the Republican cheerleaders, but now that Obama has been in office, and is actively overseeing the military and using minimal troop involvement, and instead urging the use of drones to fight the terrorists, that somehow and amazingly gives the Republican cheerleaders something to crow about.

The irony in all of this, and an often overlooked act that is dismissed all the times by the armchair cheerleaders, was when their former Republican hero stood on an aircraft carrier beneath a banner proclaiming "Mission Accomplished," which we all know a decade later to have been just as stupid, misplaced, and mythical as most of the criticisms ladled on the current President.

Dumb and dumber indeed.

August 4, 2013 at 1:30 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Rev Alpo wrote PT wrote: "Dumb and Dumber speak" Not PT, alpy. Keep up.

I would have said (about you and Tiffy) Sucker and Suckier

You boys are blind acolytes.

August 4, 2013 at 1:51 p.m.
tifosi said...

"The poll's findings — combined with President Barack Obama's continued popularity — suggest that Republicans remain susceptible to overreach on the issues of Benghazi and the IRS..."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/poll-gop-favorability-rating-obama-irs-tea-party-scandals-2013-5#ixzz2b1aDm0n4

http://www.businessinsider.com/poll-gop-favorability-rating-obama-irs-tea-party-scandals-2013-5

August 4, 2013 at 2 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

wait & see, Tiffany. wait & see.

August 4, 2013 at 2:02 p.m.
tifosi said...

The sky is falling!

Reminiscent of the birthing issue.

August 4, 2013 at 2:07 p.m.
alprova said...

gyspylady wrote: "One of the reasons the unions are having trouble with the ACA is that it takes away one of their bargaining issues. Until Congress comes up with something better, my votes and my dollars will go to those who will work to overhaul our healthcare delivery system. Pure obstructionism doesn't cut it for me and my family. The status quo isn't working, hasn't for years. We're tired of watching our costs go up to cover the uninsured - and we understand that medical insurance is completely out of reach for many people. Those of us in the middle want solutions, not rhetoric."

And upon this, a very sensible sermon on this Biblically altered traditional Sabbath day, I must offer the proper response...

Amen and amen. Now let's all sit down for some fried chicken, mashed taters, and all the fixins!!

August 4, 2013 at 2:54 p.m.
alprova said...

PT wrote: "Rev Alpo wrote PT wrote: "Dumb and Dumber speak" Not PT, alpy. Keep up."

If you are so sure that you were exempt from being one party to that description, why are you even responding? I didn't even type your current user name in my post either.

A Fox certainly does smell his own hole.

You're definitely "Dumb," but if you want to be "Dumber," that's okay with me.

"I would have said (about you and Tiffy) Sucker and Suckier"

Doesn't really make any sense, does it? One of them isn't even a recognized word in the English dictionary.

"You boys are blind acolytes."

That's a pretty neat word you have learned there. I'll bet you've been itching to use it in a sentence, just to try and impress someone.

You're such a sesquipedalian.

August 4, 2013 at 3:06 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

tiffy said "Reminiscent of the birthing issue." No, not at all

August 4, 2013 at 3:22 p.m.
rick1 said...

A recent GAO report states the average price for the lowest-cost ObamaCare "bronze" plan in eight states is 122% higher than the cheapest plan currently available in those states.

I know some people will respond with the sky is falling or we are flapping our wings and we need to wait until October of this year to find out the costs of Obamacare. Some of you may want to look at this report and prepare yourself before October arrives.

http://www.gao.gov/assets/660/656121.pdf

http://news.investors.com/politics/080213-666235-cheap-obamacare-twice-as-costly-as-existing-plans.htm

August 4, 2013 at 3:22 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Alpo called me a sesquipedalian. haha part of the definition of that word is "long winded". now who does that fit?

August 4, 2013 at 4:46 p.m.
tifosi said...

There wasn't a word for "idiot winded".

August 4, 2013 at 4:48 p.m.
alprova said...

rick1 wrote: "A recent GAO report states the average price for the lowest-cost ObamaCare "bronze" plan in eight states is 122% higher than the cheapest plan currently available in those states."

Did you even read the report?

"You asked us to examine premium amounts that existed prior to the full implementation of the PPACA provisions. This report examines the range of base premiums for health insurance in the individual market that were displayed on the HealthCare.gov Plan Finder in the month of January 2013."

January of 2013. These are not premiums that will be available on October of 2013.

"As a result, beginning in 2014, the way insurers may calculate base premiums prior to underwriting may change."

"...our analysis may not reflect the entire universe of insurers’ base premiums because roughly 20 percent of all insurance companies did not submit data. In addition, our analysis may include plans with little or no enrollment because enrollment data were not available at the plan level."

"I know some people will respond with the sky is falling or we are flapping our wings and we need to wait until October of this year to find out the costs of Obamacare."

Indeed. There's nothing in that report that pertains to the premiums that will be rolled out this coming October, is there?

"Some of you may want to look at this report and prepare yourself before October arrives."

I think the wiser course of action would be to try to understand that the rate variances noted in that report pertain to the current health care system and that they illustrate a problem that the AHA is attempting to fix.

On or around October 1, we will have lots to discuss. I may be all wet, but I'm willing to wait a few more weeks to find out FOR SURE what ObamaCare is all about.

August 4, 2013 at 4:54 p.m.
rick1 said...

Al, there is enough evidence to show premiums will go up.

Yesterday you stated your PCIP is being cancelled in two weeks. This is part of ObamaCare and reports show enrollment has been low since its inception but government costs projections were way off as people covered under this plane are high cost patients.

Now be honest were you cancelled because the government did not fund the program properly because in February of this year The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services suspended enrollment in the plan?

The government could not even run this part of ObamaCare properly as they underfunded it and you really believe costs are not going to increase?

August 4, 2013 at 5:26 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Tiffy really getting personal and nasty lately. Hurts my feelings.

August 4, 2013 at 5:35 p.m.
alprova said...

PT wrote: "Alpo called me a sesquipedalian. haha part of the definition of that word is "long winded". now who does that fit?"

It takes no more "wind" for me to type one sentence than it does to type 50.

You're a man with not a lot on his mind at any given point.

Me? My brain works overtime. I'm constantly seeking the knowledge to understand the world around me. I love to type.

I'm truly sorry that you have a problem that you don't know how to deal with. There are people whom I have written off as undesirable to discuss anything with. I have learned to skip their posts completely, even when I see they are responding to something I have written. I literally do not care what they post any longer.

You could do the same whenever you see Buzz Lightyear to the left of the heading on a post. That way, you would not be bothered by my "long winded" posts.

But something tells me that your interest in hanging out in this forum are not because you find the discussions interesting or entertaining.

You just like stirring the sh!t pot every once in awhile, because that's the extent of your personality.

You probably don't have a friend or a relative that cares a thing about you, because you're probably just as bitter in person as you appear to be in this forum.

Your problems are your own. I'm not about to change a thing I do or type to please anyone.

August 4, 2013 at 5:37 p.m.
tifosi said...

Ouch!

August 4, 2013 at 5:54 p.m.
alprova said...

rick1 wrote: "Al, there is enough evidence to show premiums will go up."

On some plans, that may well be true. But here's the thing;

1.) Those who have employer sponsored insurance are not going to have to worry about it. I predict that many employers will make a change to providing a set amount of premium contributions, rather than sponsoring an insurance plan for all.

2.) Think of the good that will come from that. Your health care plan will be completely portable. In the next few years, benefits offered by employers will consist of dollars paid to the employee that can be used to pay for their health care premiums.

3.) The base premiums do not tell a soul what they will ultimately pay for their health care policy. Every person and family will have adjustments to those premiums, based on the number in the household, their income, and their general health.

"Yesterday you stated your PCIP is being cancelled in two weeks. This is part of ObamaCare and reports show enrollment has been low since its inception but government costs projections were way off as people covered under this plane are high cost patients."

That's funny, because as I recall, shortly after I enrolled in the plan, it was basically cut off in my state because PCIP was swamped.

"Now be honest were you cancelled because the government did not fund the program properly because in February of this year The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services suspended enrollment in the plan?"

Nope. I am being forced into Medicare because my kidneys are all but kaput. ESRD. As far as I know, had that not happened, I could have continued in the PCIP pool.

And before any of the hyenas attack me for lifestyle choice accusations, my kidneys were damaged by massive doses of a prescription medication, the effects of which were not monitored closely enough before the damage was done.

"The government could not even run this part of ObamaCare properly as they underfunded it and you really believe costs are not going to increase?"

Who knows for SURE at this point? Obama, the Democrats, the health insurers, and the medical providers all have a lot on the line, and the nation will get a peek at the culmination of all that has surrounded ObamaCare in less than eight weeks.

Hang on...we're almost there. It's going to go one way or the other. Either my defense will have been for nothing, and in which case, I'll be dumping the Democrats, or the condemnations will have all been chicken wing flapping for nothing.

One of us will truly be right and the other will be wrong.

'till then...

August 4, 2013 at 6:11 p.m.
alprova said...

One important point I left off is that people will be allowed, some for the first time in their lives, to select a health care policy that fits them like a glove.

You will be able to select the coverage you need, and leave out the coverage you don't need.

Those with higher incomes will find that their premiums can be lowered if they want to pay more out of pocket. Catastrophic policies are going to be especially cheap.

Under the current health care system, insurers have not had no incentive to put cost controls on health care providers. Come January 1, 2014, they will have EVERY reason to stop paying $50 for an aspirin given to a patient.

I'm currently embroiled with Memorial Hospital, on behalf of a relative over that very issue. During one of his "fill-ups" of blood, earlier this year, due to an inoperable bleeding condition that he has been suffering from for the last two years, he requested and was given an aspirin for a headache he was having at the time.

He was not officially admitted as an inpatient at the time.

I received a bill for $59.00 over and above that which Medicare and his supplemental policy paid for the visit.

The bill stated that the charge was for "self-administered" medication. It was for that aspirin.

$59.00?

I informed them that I would be happy to run an aspirin tablet of their choice up to the hospital, but no check would be forthcoming in the amount of $59.00 any time soon.

They agreed to review the charge and are going to be getting back to me on Monday.

August 4, 2013 at 6:34 p.m.
tifosi said...

This will be just like any major project that I have worked on, including the VW plant. Planning and preparedness are key. But, in the end you must roll it out and then adapt and overcome. Obamacare will have its shortcomings, I have no doubt. I believe the core of a successful program is there, a program that America needs. I am sure the critics here will do their best to sink it and in reality set America back. Those candidates/party will pay a price at the polls. We all have a choice, either you are for U.S. or against U.S.

August 4, 2013 at 6:34 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Doggone it. Now Alpy's on my butt. Was it something I said?

August 4, 2013 at 6:42 p.m.
rick1 said...

Al, we have are differences and at times our exchanges have become very heated, but I wish you the best with your End-Stage Renal Disease.

Why would you get bumped from pre existing coverage with ESRD? I thought PCIP could not deny coverage?

The fact is in 2010 The Obama Administration estimated 375,000 people would enroll in PCIP and $5 billion was appropriated to this program for 2010-2014. In February of 2013, 107,139 people were enrolled (well under the estimated figure) in PCIP and the government underestimated the funding, this is why they suspended enrolling people.

http://blog.heritage.org/2013/03/20/obamacare-pre-existing-conditions-coverage-low-enrollment-high-costs/

August 4, 2013 at 6:54 p.m.
rick1 said...

tifosi, posted "Obamacare will have its shortcomings, I have no doubt. I believe the core of a successful program is there, a program that America needs. I am sure the critics here will do their best to sink it and in reality set America back. Those candidates/party will pay a price at the polls. We all have a choice, either you are for U.S. or against U.S."

Are you saying if we are against ObamaCare we are against the U.S.?

August 4, 2013 at 6:57 p.m.
tifosi said...

You sure as hell aren't helping. With the record of the GOP (and you) being against everything, they will pay the price. Their reputation is in the toilet (the lowest in history). The Democrats will soon control Washington D.C. Not a good thing, but at least progress will happen.

August 4, 2013 at 7:27 p.m.
rick1 said...

tifosi please answer the question. Were you saying if we are against ObamaCare we are against the U.S.?

August 4, 2013 at 7:37 p.m.
tifosi said...

Please read my response above.

August 4, 2013 at 7:40 p.m.
rick1 said...

tifosi your response above is not a direct answer. Just answer with a yes or no

August 4, 2013 at 7:44 p.m.
tifosi said...

I respond to people I respect. You are a hyena. It is the only answer you will get.

August 4, 2013 at 7:47 p.m.
rick1 said...

You are a coward and have no credibility. You can not even answer the question directly.

August 4, 2013 at 7:50 p.m.
tifosi said...

Your opinion means nothing. Hyenas are cowards.

August 4, 2013 at 7:59 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

You're proving yourself to be the coward, Tiffany.

August 4, 2013 at 8:07 p.m.
rick1 said...

tifosi, you are so mentally challenged you could not even come up with the Hyena term on your own. Al used that on August 1, 2013 at 3:24pm when he included in his post "You're acting like a pack of hyenas."

You are pathetic.

August 4, 2013 at 8:12 p.m.
tifosi said...

The hyenas are circling.

August 4, 2013 at 8:16 p.m.
alprova said...

rick1 wrote: "Al, we have are differences and at times our exchanges have become very heated, but I wish you the best with your End-Stage Renal Disease."

Thanks. I'm hanging in there. I never hold any grudges. Politics stirs tempers sometimes, but I never take it personal.

"Why would you get bumped from pre existing coverage with ESRD? I thought PCIP could not deny coverage?"

PCIP is Government sponsored. It's possible that PCIP enrollees with ESRD are kicked over to Medicare the minute they qualify for a transplant and/or Dialysis. I've been on standby for being put on the transplant list for about 4 months. My labs taken early last month put me under the line and on the transplant list. It also apparently qualified me for automatic disability.

I'm going to be doing my own dialysis.

I'm very early in the process, and have been busy trying to understand it all myself. Navigating the Medicare website is a nightmare.

"The fact is in 2010 The Obama Administration estimated 375,000 people would enroll in PCIP and $5 billion was appropriated to this program for 2010-2014. In February of 2013, 107,139 people were enrolled (well under the estimated figure) in PCIP and the government underestimated the funding, this is why they suspended enrolling people."

I think I found an alternative explanation for what may be going on.

"Beginning July 1, 2013, operation of the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) in 17 states, at their discretion, will transition to the federally-run PCIP program."

https://www.pcip.gov/

The letter I received specifically made mention of my most recent labs, the fact that those test results qualified me for treatment and for the costs of a transplant under Medicare and that I was qualified for SSD.

Also in that letter was information to the effect that I was qualified for Medicare parts A & B , but that I did not qualify for any supplemental insurance.

I've already received the initial correspondence from Social Security, and it stated that complete information will be mailed to me soon.

Now that I think about it, Erlanger has something to do with all this, because I went to the transplant education and home dialysis classes in May of this year, because there was little doubt that I was not headed in that direction.

The assigned case worker had every single one of my medical records on hand, having been sent from the doctor who set me up for the education classes.

I do remember her telling me that the minute I qualified for Medicare, that I would be put on the waiting list.

August 4, 2013 at 8:56 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Alpo: Hope you get on the list and get a quick transplant.

August 4, 2013 at 9:55 p.m.
alprova said...

PT wrote: "Alpo: Hope you get on the list and get a quick transplant."

Thanks. I like it when you are civil. I really don't try to aggravate anyone, and I'm sorry that I do you, and I'm sorry about about my negative post earlier today. We can disagree and still be friends, can't we?

I'm very freaked out at the moment of the prospect of it all. I've never been put under for any surgery in my life. I'm going to have to go in soon and have a tube inserted to my abdomen for the home dialysis.

The good news is, if I decide to go all the way and have a transplant, I probably won't have to wait as long as some people. My rare blood type (AB-) means that I can receive one of five blood types, as opposed to someone who has type O, which is the most common blood type, who is limited to the donor being one blood type.

It's a bit scary and I'm not ashamed to admit that I am scared.

The thing is, until two years ago, I had no serious health issues.

I seriously want to reach out and tell everyone to take care of your bodies. You never know when you will quit beating the odds.

Oh...and never be afraid to question the side effects of any medication you are put on. Look them up yourself if you have to. All ya' gotta do is to Google the name. The information is out there.

Doctors these days are pushing the pills like a corner drug dealer does crack. It may not be a bad pill in and of itself, but it may well be the ingredients within them that does the harm.

It takes 17 different prescriptions to keep me going. Three days without them, and I'm dead.

August 4, 2013 at 10:22 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

I've been around dialysis for years. It beats the alternative, but only just. Do NOT not get the transplant if available

August 4, 2013 at 10:33 p.m.
alprova said...

That's kinda where I'm at, at the moment anyway. Lots of changes when you get a transplant, not to mention the expense.

I've still got time to decide.

August 4, 2013 at 11:08 p.m.
fairmon said...

PT...why do you say DO NOT get the transplant? I had only heard good things about the results of kidney transplants with family members or someone donating a kidney for the operation.

alprova...I sincerely wish for you the very best and that you make the right decision. I agree with the medical world pill pushing comment. Some are essential but many people are over medicated, especially the elderly.

August 5, 2013 at 2:59 a.m.
alprova said...

Fairmon, we both misread what PT wrote. He was actually saying TO get the transplant if it becomes available.

What scares me is the prospect of rejection. I did some reading last night and discovered that even if my body rejects it, it isn't necessarily a death sentence, which was my fear. It just means a return to dialysis until another one becomes available.

So that's a little more encouraging.

Anyway, my apologies for boring anyone and everyone with my problems, but thanks for allowing me to get some of this stuff off my chest.

I've been keeping it all to myself because my wife and daughters get very upset whenever the subject is raised, so I've been having to deal with it alone.

Back to politics.

August 5, 2013 at 5:48 a.m.
alprova said...

tifosi, rick is one of the better people who participates in this forum. Yes, he's opinionated, but he's always been respectful, which is why I like debating the issues with him.

PT is what he is, but I have always sensed that he is a decent guy even though we go personal every now and again. We all have our opinions and beliefs. No minds are likely to be changed, even when the counter evidence presented is overwhelming.

We're all opinionated, but there's no reason why everyone cannot disagree at times, or all the time for that matter, and still be friends.

Most of us are all fine folk who come here because we like the lively debates. Some come in here to be nothing but smart asses.

I try, but I know I fall short sometimes, to keep my responses respectful.


In my opinion, people opposed to ObamaCare are not against the U.S. The health care they have is working fine for themselves, and they don't want to think about their boats being rocked. I understand that. There was a time in my life when I was just like they were.

People who are opposed to ObamaCare are like many people, in that they are resistant to change, they are fearful of the unknowns that come with change, and previous changes in their lives may not have worked out well for them in the past.

I don't know what will happen. Nobody truly does today. But something has to be done, because the current system of health care in this nation has some very good points, but it leaves way too many people twisting in the wind.

And I'm not talking about myself. I've been able to find the superior medical care I need that has been preserving my life, at prices that I can afford.

I'm not against medical care being profitable, but it is totally out of control. I personally believe that ObamaCare will put some severe downward pressure on the entities that have allowed it to get out of control, and still allow them to profit.

They will be forced to do what should have been done years ago, rather than to saddle the general public with the costs by simply raising premiums to compensate.

August 5, 2013 at 6:36 a.m.
fairmon said...

alprova....I have two friends with heart transplants and one with a kidney (her sisters) transplant. It is amazing to see them doing anything they want to with plenty of energy. Anyone not knowing would never guess they were transplant recipients. I say go for it and I do hope it works out perfectly for you.

Some of these miracle procedures are the cause of increased health care cost but those increases should be offset by other efficiency improvements that have been made.

I have said many times I have no issue with everyone having good health care insurance but I personally don't see the PPACA addressing the root cause therefore the AHCA may become the UAHCA.

You may want to look at a copy of this months consumer report before selecting a hospital for the surgery. Memorial and Erlanger are rated among the worst in TN. Park Ridge rated better. The two best rated are in Nashville. Georgia also has some highly rated, the closest appears to be in Gainesville. I have always personally preferred Memorial.

August 5, 2013 at 7:26 a.m.
fairmon said...

alprova said...

They will be forced to do what should have been done years ago, rather than to saddle the general public with the costs by simply raising premiums to compensate.

The requirement that insurers pay out 80% of their premiums revenue has good intent but leaves too much to the honor system and as a CPA you know how easy it is for them to dodge that bullet. One problem is government not requiring an even playing field for all participants while regulating and monitoring to assure the highest possible quality of care. The government insist on being input managers which never works instead of output mangers which will work every time.

August 5, 2013 at 7:36 a.m.
alprova said...

Fairmon wrote: "You may want to look at a copy of this months consumer report before selecting a hospital for the surgery. Memorial and Erlanger are rated among the worst in TN. Park Ridge rated better. The two best rated are in Nashville. Georgia also has some highly rated, the closest appears to be in Gainesville. I have always personally preferred Memorial."

Wow!!...I've been an Erlanger fan for quite some time. If I go through with it, I've decided to go with Erlanger because my personal physician will be heading the transplant team. I trust that man completely. He's saved my life a couple of times and money means nothing to him.

I've personally never been to Memorial or Park Ridge, but my wife and another elderly relative both had horrible experiences there. Memorial has been great, with the exception of this $59.00 aspirin charge that I'm negotiating at the moment.

August 5, 2013 at 7:40 a.m.
fairmon said...

I agree Erlanger would be the best choice for the surgery you are considering. Consumer report also provides information describing what the patient can do to assure a good experience and avoid the issues many have with infections etc. Pick up a copy of the 2013 September issue.

BTW...they along with JD Powers select the Chevrolet Impala as best in class with high ratings in most categories. I have always had Cadillacs and Towncars never considered a Chevrolet but would if they would get rid of that chintzy looking bow tie.

August 5, 2013 at 7:51 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

ALPO says "No minds are likely to be changed, even when the counter evidence presented is overwhelming." Apparently the man still has a sense of humor. 👴

August 5, 2013 at 7:53 a.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

alprova said...

Armchair political operatives are the worst. They sit there all day combing the web for news and information and come up with their own assessments based on what the read.

I guess you don’t read to obtain information on the events of the day and besides you don’t make your own assessments anyway as you just accept the talking points as presented to you. Yours must come in as cosmic waves from the DNC.

For days, I believe it was "Dumb" who has been posting updates on the Benghazi hearings, in the belief that those of us who support the President should be quaking in our little pink bunny slippers, because they are closer to pinning it all on him.

You wear “pink bunny slippers”? I bet that don’t affect your professional life very much. Reporters that had written this story off are now back on it hot and heavy. We’ll finally get to the bottom of how Obama FU’ed on that deal and we’ll see what side of your mouth you will be talking out of then.

August 5, 2013 at 7:54 a.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

alprova said ...

Today, our Government and the State Department is doing all they possibly can to protect Americans from harm, and for some reason, any unrest in the Middle East is all Obama's fault.

He’s been on the job for 4 1/2 years now so he owns it.

It could never have anything to do with American aggression in the Middle East that was started 12 years ago when GWB ordered troops into Afghanistan, and two years later into Iraq, and that Obama has become the face that is planted on protest signs because he is the current American President, and because we still have troops in the Middle East, and other military operations ongoing in other nations in the area as well.

Did your awareness of the turmoil in that part of the word suddenly come to you 12 years ago? That you could possibly be so unaware of the history of that area that existed prior to that?

”we still have troops in the Middle East, and other military operations ongoing in other nations in the area as well.” ... Exactly!! I wonder how that came about? Didn’t someone campaign on how we were going to withdraw from there and institute policies that would make those people love us and also make the seas recede?

When GWB was the face in fighting Islamic terrorism, there was little dissension by the Republican cheerleaders, but now that Obama has been in office, and is actively overseeing the military and using minimal troop involvement, and instead urging the use of drones to fight the terrorists, that somehow and amazingly gives the Republican cheerleaders something to crow about.

When GWB was in charge you had your chance to have your say. Now Obama owns it and he’s “doing a heck of a job” isn’t he?

The irony in all of this, and an often overlooked act that is dismissed all the times by the armchair cheerleaders, was when their former Republican hero stood on an aircraft carrier beneath a banner proclaiming "Mission Accomplished," which we all know a decade later to have been just as stupid, misplaced, and mythical as most of the criticisms ladled on the current President.

Didn’t Obama just proclaim that Al Qaeda was finished as an effective terrorist threat? ... Now that’s irony as well as stupid and misplaced.

Dumbest indeed.

August 5, 2013 at 7:56 a.m.
fairmon said...

Back to the budget and debt limits. It irritates me to no end that there has been no discussion or addressing the issue until it is crisis time. I would hope the first thing to happen would be to suspend all pay for congress with zero perks or travel until a decision is made. That should reveal who is serious about their position on the issue?

August 5, 2013 at 7:59 a.m.
degage said...

A year ago Obama claimed Al-Qaida was on the run and as Kristol so rightly said" Now we are on the run." Seems Obama got ahead of himself.

August 5, 2013 at 8:02 a.m.
limric said...

This about sums up Clay's cartoon. Paraphrased from today's NYT.

The GOP is finding that the only policies they adhere to (benefit cuts for the poor- tax cuts for the rich) can’t be done. And have fallen victim to their own con game.

To avert attention from their anarchistic obstruction and incompetence, they held a pointless vote on Obamacare, apparently just to make themselves feel better. [The con evidenced in the direction and ignorance of many of the comments posted here.]

Thus, confronted with the responsibilities of governing, Republicans essentially threw a tantrum, then ran off to sulk.

Sadly, they actually want the bomb to go off. See link:

http://robertreich.org/post/57285734645

By the way, I am not a Democrat nor a Obama supporter, so don't even try.

August 5, 2013 at 8:21 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

^^^agree the R's worst enemy = the R's.

August 5, 2013 at 8:26 a.m.
jesse said...

Erlanger rocks!

Back in 81 i spent a month in the burn unit and west wing 4 and they do a jam up job!

IF you are hurt BAD or in a really bad way Erlanger is where ya need to be!!

August 5, 2013 at 8:31 a.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

tifosi said...

"The poll's findings — combined with President Barack Obama's continued popularity — suggest that Republicans remain susceptible to overreach on the issues of Benghazi and the IRS..."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/poll-gop-favorability-rating-obama-irs-tea-party-scandals-2013-5#ixzz2b1aDm0n4

How timely ... A 2 1/2 month old poll. Looks like it’s heating up again so why don’t you reference something more current?

BTW ... Isn’t Obama under water in the polls and dropping?

August 5, 2013 at 8:36 a.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

alprova said ...

You probably don't have a friend or a relative that cares a thing about you, because you're probably just as bitter in person as you appear to be in this forum.

Why is this a common refrain from you when you encounter someone you extremely disagree with? Could it be projection?

August 5, 2013 at 8:52 a.m.
alprova said...

Fairmon wrote: "I agree Erlanger would be the best choice for the surgery you are considering. Consumer report also provides information describing what the patient can do to assure a good experience and avoid the issues many have with infections etc. Pick up a copy of the 2013 September issue."

Thanks...I'll do that.

August 5, 2013 at 9:20 a.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

tifosi said...

You sure as hell aren't helping. With the record of the GOP (and you) being against everything, they will pay the price. Their reputation is in the toilet (the lowest in history). The Democrats will soon control Washington D.C. Not a good thing, but at least progress will happen.

Republicans dominate state governments, there is no chance they will lose control of the House, and they are given a better than 50% chance of taking the Senate. Yeah real soon .. Right?

August 5, 2013 at 9:46 a.m.
limric said...

Speaking of bombs,

For anyone even the least bit concerned about the quaint notion of your Constitutional rights, here’s another bomb about to explode.

From ‘Reuters:’

”Surveillance programs maintained by the National Security Agency are being used not only for countering international terrorism, but also for targeting common criminals within the U.S.”

”DEA agents or other law enforcement agencies are supplied with information used from ‘classified’ sources to initiate investigations but that - internal protocols demand that investigators then ‘recreate’ the source of where the information came from so to keep SOD's (Special Operations Division) involvement off the books.”

Re-read the part in bold a few times until it sinks in.

If anyone thinks that the data isn’t being sought by local law enforcement, or is being used to infiltrate or undermine ‘certain’ groups (the Tea Party for instance), or don’t think this is blatantly unconstitutional; they are incredibly naïve.

August 5, 2013 at 10:23 a.m.
jesse said...

JT!! Al is a mental case! Ya been on here long enough to pick up on this! IN his MIND he is the GURU!!PERIOT!! If he wakes up some morning with an INSIGHTFUL mind set and see's what a pompous,self indulgent,overbearing arzhole he really is!Straight to a rubber room!BUT Al ain't THAT smart ! An OLD Mack Davis song runs in a continous loop in Al's "man cave!" " IT'S HARD TO BE HUMBLE" When you are PERFECT in every way!!

August 5, 2013 at 10:41 a.m.
jesse said...

LImric? It's obvious you still have HOPE!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

August 5, 2013 at 10:52 a.m.
limric said...

Is this you Jesse?

Considering my ‘non-conformal’ diatribes, the only ”obvious HOPE’ I may have is to join you in the ”Van down by the river”

August 5, 2013 at 11:31 a.m.
jesse said...

I ain't got room for ya ass!

I got my sandbags in place and some stand off wire in place! I know they commin and when they get here?? I'm ready! Can hold out for maybe 30 min!??LMAO!!Whatta you gonna do???

August 5, 2013 at 11:48 a.m.
limric said...

In a word:

MONTANA

August 5, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.
jesse said...

North Fork of the Salmon river in Idaho would be better!

Give ya an extra 45 days! Maybe!!

Thats where the world record ":Big Horn" came from back in the whatever's!

August 5, 2013 at 12:26 p.m.
limric said...

Mmm, Montana, OR the North Fork of the Salmon = off the grid!

I love it out there.

I’ll get more than 45 days---but then again.......

August 5, 2013 at 12:37 p.m.
jesse said...

Tell ya what Limric! If it comes upon us real sudden like? Ya can have 1/2 the van for 3 days!!By then bofus gonna be smellin and ya gonna have ta get your own place!UNLESS yo0u bring bo koo supplies!

Like "bacon.eggs ,single malt scotch and such!!

August 5, 2013 at 12:55 p.m.
limric said...

You'll get Tequila & tofu and like it!

August 5, 2013 at 1:13 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

tifosi said...

I respond to people I respect. You are a hyena. It is the only answer you will get.

Yet you respond without any self awareness... However the lack of any substance could very well qualify them as non-responses.

August 5, 2013 at 1:18 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

limric said...

Sadly, they actually want the bomb to go off. See link:

http://robertreich.org/post/57285734645

Poor old Bobby Reiiiich. First he presents the reasons why rich Republicans would “want unemployment to remain high and job-growth to sputter. Then he turns around and walks all over his premise by stating they “would do better with a smaller share of a rapidly-growing economy than their current big share of an economy that’s hardly moving” ... Well which is it Bobby?

Then he finishes off with that old Liberal chestnut of “Tax and Spend”, thus giving a perfect reason for Republicans to answer No! to the Democrat’s programs. Haven’t those idiots already wore out the “Spend” side of that formula already?

“Everyone would benefit from higher taxes on the wealthy to finance public investments (Spending) in roads, bridges, public transit, better schools, affordable higher education, and healthcare — all of which will help the middle class and the poor, and generate more and better jobs.”

As if those things couldn’t be accomplished with less taxes, spending, and government interference in the economy. We’ve already reached a point that taxes aren’t going to cover the bill and near the point where we’re incapable of growing our way out.

August 5, 2013 at 1:21 p.m.
jesse said...

JT! Anyone over the age of 10 who has any faith that any pol. has the best interest of the nation at heart HAS NOT been paying attn!

Dem., Repb., lib. or con! They all hatched from the same nest of self interest and the bottom line is they ALL need to be SHOT!!

August 5, 2013 at 3:53 p.m.
jesse said...

Tequila i can handle! Ya bring tofu you need to be wearing body armor and be packing serious heat!!

August 5, 2013 at 3:57 p.m.
fairmon said...

jesse said...

I got my sandbags in place and some stand off wire in place! I know they commin and when they get here?? I'm ready! Can hold out for maybe 30 min!??LMAO!!Whatta you gonna do???

I am about that ready...a qt. of JD + enough time to get in position, bend over with head between legs, kiss arse good bye.

August 5, 2013 at 4:31 p.m.
tifosi said...

If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed.

If you cannot afford a doctor... LOL tough s**t bro!

August 5, 2013 at 6:24 p.m.
facyspacy said...

^go to Erlanger.... Then I can pay for it

August 5, 2013 at 6:57 p.m.
rick1 said...

facyspacy, don't know if you have heard about Taliban fighters being released. If not, you will want to read this article

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/080513-666450-obama-pentagon-grants-amnesty-to-taliban-fighters.htm

August 5, 2013 at 7:20 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

^^^^^ that's disgusting

August 5, 2013 at 7:25 p.m.
chet123 said...

CONGRESS TAKING 5 WEEKS OFF.....Hmmmm? ISNT THIS A DO NOTHING CONGRESS!!!Hmmmmmm! OFF FROM WHAT???? THEY DONT DO ANYTHING!!!THEY VACATION 365DAYS A YEAR....PUT THEM ON COMMISSION!

US CONGRESS PAID AROUND 180,000.00 ANNUALLY OR 3,461.00 WEEKLY;OR 13,846 MONTHLY

SENATE LEADER 193,000.00 ANNUALLY= 3,700.00WK ; 14,845.00 A MONTH

MINORITY LEADER 193,000.00 ANNUALLY =3,700.00 A WEEK =14,845.00 A MONTH

SPEAKER OF HOUSE 223,000.00 ANNUALLY;...4,288.00A WEEKLY;...17,153.00 MONTHLY

PENSION(CIVIL SERVICE RETIREMENT): AS HIGH AS 90,000.00 ANNUALLY FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES....NOT A BAD DEAL .....

GOVERNMENT FUNDED HEALTHCARE..OBAMA-CARE HA HA HA...I THOUGHT GOVERNMENT HEALTH-CARE WAS BAD...THESE BOZO HAVE OBAMA CARE AND TRYING TO KEEP IT A SECRET!HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!! OHHHHHH I SEE...IT BAD IF ITS FOR THE AVERAGE "JOE" BUT GREAT FOR THEM...OOOOOK???

ALLOWANCES

August 5, 2013 at 7:26 p.m.
facyspacy said...

Rick1, that was the most disturbing article I have ever read. It's almost hard to believe.... But I don't put anything past the worst president in history.

August 5, 2013 at 7:26 p.m.
chet123 said...

WAITTTT A MINUTE, WAITTTT A MINUTE....WHY DONT WE START FIRST WITH CONGRESS IN CUTTING COST...

DUHHHHHH!

August 5, 2013 at 7:28 p.m.
chet123 said...

ONLY FOR SOUTHERN BAPTIST REPUBLICAN LIKE YOU FACYSPACY

August 5, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
chet123 said...

GET OVER IT!

August 5, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
chet123 said...

RICK1.....KEEP LOOKING RICK....KEEP LOOKING....BEHIND TREES,BUSHES,UNDER THE BED.....KEEP LOOKING WHILE OBAMA IS CRUISING IN AIR FORCE 1....LAUGHING AT YOU BOZOS!

August 5, 2013 at 7:35 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

tifosi said...

If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed.

If you cannot afford a doctor... LOL tough s**t bro!

I'll tell you what's LOL funny and that is that you really don't realize there is a difference other than the medical and legal references... Do you?

August 5, 2013 at 7:36 p.m.
chet123 said...

YOU GO OBAMA!!

August 5, 2013 at 7:37 p.m.
facyspacy said...

Wondered why you were so happy Chet, they are now offering you and ap health benefits. Congratulations! Now you can afford Grammer lessons. http://timesfreepress.com/news/2013/a...

August 5, 2013 at 7:41 p.m.
tifosi said...

Grammar

August 5, 2013 at 8:19 p.m.
facyspacy said...

Lol. You got it!

August 5, 2013 at 8:30 p.m.
please login to post a comment

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.