The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football team conducted its second scrimmage of the preseason Friday afternoon at Scrappy Moore Field. The first quarter was game-like, with the first-team offense going against the second-team defense and the second offense facing the first defense.
Coach Russ Huesman said parts of the scrimmage were as much for the coaches as the players.
"Doing it the way we did it, we were just looking for substitutions, mechanics," he said. "We got probably got exactly what we needed out of that period."
The rest of the scrimmage was a mix of situational periods, ranging from the offense being backed up at its own 1-yard line to handling a back snap on a field-goal attempt.
Here are some odds and ends from practice:
• Top play: It's actually two plays -- the first two plays of the No. 2 offense vs. the No. 1 defense, in fact. On both plays, each a run, defensive tackle Derrick Lott shoved his way into the backfield in no time for a tackle for loss. Honorable mention will go to a leaping interception by redshirt freshman linebacker Alex Kirby and two long completions from Jacob Huesman to Terrell Robinson.
• Top players: Offense--Robinson (5 catches, 124 yards), Faysal Shafaat (3 catches, 28 yards), Xavier Borishade (43-yard touchdown catch), C.J. Board (5 catches, 31 yards). Defense--Lott (5 tackles for loss), Davis Tull, Keionta Davis, Kadeem Wise, Jerkerious Scott, Chaz Moore (2 TFL).
• Quotable: "It's like Coach Huesman said at the end, it's a good thing we don't play next week. I think we need a little more time to work on our execution a little bit and hopefully fix the little things. Right now it's nothing huge, but there are little things that we need to fix." -- quarterback Jacob Huesman
• A good sign: It hasn't been a great week for the Mocs' kickers, but Nick Pollard went 4-for-5 Friday on field-goal tries. He connected on kicks of 29, 37, 37 and 44 yards, while also missing from 44. "My biggest problem is I've been rushing," Pollard said. "It looks slow to my eyes when I'm out here kicking, but the coaches keep saying I'm going a little quick."
• A not-so-good sign: Defensive end Zach Rayl went down with what appeared to be a serious right knee injury late in the first quarter and did not return. Rayl later said he tried to go one way and his leg went another. He could be the second end out for the season. Vantrell McMillan blew out his knee during the final practice of the spring.
• Spectators: Running backs Keon Williams (knee) and Kenny Huitt (shoulder), left guard Synjen Herren (ankle), wide receiver Bryant Belew (ankle) and linebacker Gunner Miller (shoulder) did not play, though all will likely be back on the field next week. Cornerback Will Johnson (shoulder) will be out three or four weeks, Coach Huesman said.
• Up next: The football team will participate in today's Meet the Mocs at the First Tennessee Pavilion at 1 p.m., followed by practice at 2:30 at Finley. The Mocs will be off Sunday and Monday and begin their regular practice schedule Tuesday.
Contact John Frierson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 423-757-6268. Follow him at twitter.com/MocsBeat.
John Frierson is in his seventh year at the Times Free Press and seventh year covering University of Tennessee at Chattanooga athletics. The bulk of his time is spent covering Mocs football, but he also writes about women’s basketball and the big-picture issues and news involving the athletic department. A native of Athens, Ga., John grew up a few hundred yards from the University of Georgia campus. Instead of becoming a Bulldog he attended Ole ...
related articles »
The defense picked off four passes, the offense hit on some big plays and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga ...
Jacob Huesman led the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga with 904 rushing yards in 2012. He ran the ball 195 ...
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football team took the field at Finley Stadium for its season opener Thursday night ...
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football team played well in some areas during its first preseason scrimmage Saturday and ...