BRAINERD FARMERS MARKET -- Grace Episcopal Church, 20 Belvoir Ave. Open 10 a.m.-noon Saturdays. 423-580-6281.
CHATTANOOGA GHOST TOURS -- The Little Curiosity Shoppe, 138 Market St. Walking tours through downtown, ghost hunts through University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and Citizens Cemetery, 9 nightly. $15 adults, $10 ages 12 and younger. 423-821-7125.
CHATTANOOGA SIDEWALK TOURS -- Choice of two tours, daily through Nov. 1. Dynamo of Dixie Tour departs from Sheraton Read House, corner of Broad Street and M.L. King Boulevard, 10 a.m., noon and 2 p.m. Bluffs and Bridges Tour begins at south end of Walnut Street Bridge; 4 and 6 p.m. $15 adults, $7 children 12 and under. Reservations required: 423-228-0448, www.chattanoogasidewalktours.com.
CHATTANOOGA RIVER MARKET -- Tennessee Aquarium plaza, 1 Broad St. Vendors sell local produce, arts, crafts and horticultural projects, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays. www.ChattanoogaMarket.com.
CHEROKEE HOMECOMING -- Ridge Ferry Park, Rome, Ga. Native American Preservation Association of Georgia presents 24th annual Running Water Powwow Cherokee Homecoming and Ripe Corn Festival, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31, and 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 1. Grand entries at 1 and 7 p.m. Saturday, 1 p.m. Sunday. Includes authentic foods, arts, crafts, cultural programs and competition dancing. 706-509-8119, www.runningwarwepowwow.com.
CRAFT SUPPLY SWAP MEET -- Homespun Studio, Warehouse Row, 1110 Market St. Bring your unwanted, but still usable, craft supplies to old-fashioned swap meet, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31. 423-443-9719.
DOGGIE PADDLE -- Warner Park pool, 1254 E. Third St. Pets and owners swim in park's Olympic-size pool at fundraiser for McKamey Animal Center, noon-3 p.m. Sept. 7. $10 per pooch, includes goody bags while supplies last. 423-305-6500.
FALL CHATTANOOGA CRUISE-IN -- Coker Tire Museum, 1317 Chestnut St. Hundreds of classic cars and trucks on display, plus tours of museum and Honest Charley Garage, chance to meet cast of Travel Channel's "Back Road Gold" and racing karts from "Karting With Rusty," 2-8 p.m. Sept. 7. Free. 423-648-8542.
FALL PLANT SALE -- Crabtree Farms, 1000 E. 30th St. Purchase plants, visit vendor booths, free workshops at urban garden, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 7. Free. 423-493-9155.
HIKES -- Led by Soddy-Daisy Hiking Club. Bring water and snack. Carpool locations given for those who want to meet group. 423-842-3619.
• Saturday, Aug. 31: Prentice Cooper at Mullins Cove Loop, strenuous 10 miles, meet at Red Bank Bi-Lo parking lot, 8 a.m.
• Tuesday, Sept. 3: Raccoon Mountain, easy-to-moderate 4 miles, meet at Red Bank Bi-Lo parking lot, 8 a.m.
• Saturday, Sept. 7 : Lula Lake, moderate 5 miles, meet at Red Bank Bi-Lo parking lot, 8 a.m.
LABOR DAY ON THE HILL -- Bryan College, 721 Bryan Drive, Dayton, Tenn. Tour campus, attend class, have lunch in cafeteria, 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday, Sept. 2. Free. 423-775-7211.
PAWS FOR WALLY'S FRIENDS -- Community Pie Neapolitan Pizza, 850 Market St. Dinner of 12-inch Margherita pizza, salad and domestic beer, 6-8 p.m. today, Aug. 29. $20. Proceeds go to Wally's Friends capital campaign for spay/neuter provider to move into a larger clinic. 423-877-9966, wallysfriends.com.
OOLTEWAH FARMERS MARKET -- Ooltewah Nursery & Landscape Co., 5829 Main St. Local farmers sell fresh produce, 3-6 p.m. Thursdays. No wholesalers or resellers allowed. 423-238-9775.
RINGGOLD MARKET -- Catoosa County Courthouse, Ringgold, Ga. Fresh produce, crafts and live music in downtown Ringgold market, 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, Aug. 31 (last of the season). www.ringgold.com.
RIVER CANYON ADVENTURES -- 21726 River Canyon Road. 423-451-6068. Explore the scenic Tennessee River Gorge with three-hour adventures, 9 a.m., noon and 3 p.m. daily. Sunset cruise at 6 p.m. Upriver to Williams Island, $35. Downriver into Tennessee River Gorge, $45. www.rivercanyonadventure.com.
SOUTHSIDE STROLL -- East and West Main street neighborhoods. Sidewalk stroll of studios, gifts shops, restaurants in Southside, special events and discounts offered, 5-8 p.m. Friday, Aug. 30. 423-400-4100.
SUNDAY AT THE SHELTER -- Humane Educational Society, 212 N. Highland Park Ave. Monthly first Sunday adoption hours, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 1. 423-624-5302.
TRAIN RIDES -- Tennessee Valley Railroad, 4119 Cromwell Road. 423-894-8028, www.tvrail.com.
• Missionary Ridge Local: Six-mile, 55-minute ride through East Chattanooga to TVRM's repair shop. August and September departures: 10:40 a.m. and 12:05 p.m. Tuesday-Friday (August), Wednesday-Friday (September); 10:40 a.m., 12:05, 1:15, 2:25 and 3:35 p.m. Saturday-Sunday plus Labor Day. $16 adults, $10 children 3-12.
• Chickamauga Turn: Six-hour history trip with uniformed Civil War re-enactor includes 1.5-hour layover in Chickamauga and shorter layover at Wilder Tower in Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park on return trip, 10 a.m.-4:15 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31. $34 adults, $26 children 3-12. Have picnic or restaurant lunch in town or upgrade ticket for lunch on train.
• Railfest: Celebration of railroading includes interactive displays, restored train cars, steam locomotive excursions, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Sept. 7-8. $20-$45. 423-894-8028.
WALKER COUNTY GALA -- Sheraton Read House Hotel, 827 Broad St., Chattanooga. Walker County Chamber of Commerce hosts 31st annual black-tie-optional dinner with musical entertainment and dancing, Sept. 28. Early bird discounts for registration before Friday, Aug. 30: $115 individuals, $850 and $1,075 for tables of eight; all registration due by Sept. 11. Discounted room reservations available through today, Aug. 29. www.walkercochamber.com, 706-375-7702.
BALLROOM -- The Ballroom, 7001 Middle Valley Road. Learn ballroom dancing, no partner required, Saturdays. Group class, 7:30 p.m., $5. Dancing, 8:30 p.m., $10. Casual dress. 423-394-6428.
BALLROOM -- Ballroom Magic Dance Center, 4200 N. Access Road. Dance 8:30-10:30 p.m. Fridays. $10. 423-771-3646.
• Mondays: Allemande Hall, 7400 Standifer Gap Road. Dance to music of all genres, for beginners through intermediate level dancers, 5:30-8:30 p.m. $7 per evening, $22 monthly. www.linesinmotion.net.
• Wednesdays: North River Civic Center, 1009 Executive Drive. Dance, 5-7:45 p.m. $5. www.bootsandbucklesdance.com
• Thursdays: St. Jude Catholic Church, 930 Ashland Terrace. Dance, 5-7:45 p.m., $3. www.bootsandbucklesdance.com.
RHYTHM BALLROOM -- The Ballroom, 7001 Middle Valley Road. Learn fundamentals of rumba, cha cha, East Coast Swing, 6 p.m. Mondays, 8 p.m. Wednesdays. $5. Casual dress. No partner required. www.theballroomathixson.com.
SHAG -- Elks Lodge, Graysville Road at East Brainerd Road. Dance with members of Choo Choo Shag Club, 7 p.m. Thursdays. $5 members, $7 guests, free to first-time guests. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
ANGELFEST -- Angel Park Music Pavilion, Sewanee, Tenn. Children's activities (4 p.m.), music (7 p.m.), family treasure hunt and concessions, ...
110TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY — Mountain Creek Harley-Davidson, 1001 Market St., Dalton, Ga. Music by Missused, Milwaukee-style foods and beverages, trivia, ...
AMERICAN BEAD & JEWELRY SHOW — Chattanooga Convention Center, 1 Carter Plaza. Vendors offer ready-to-wear jewelry and supplies for public ...
BATTLE AT THE RIVER -- Tivoli Theatre, 709 Broad St. Bodybuilding, figure and bikini championships sanctioned by National Physique Committee, ...