• Lee Children's Choir auditions: Curtsinger Music Building, Room 200, Lee University campus, Cleveland, Tenn., 5:30-7 p.m., children in grades 4-12 should be prepared to sing a familiar song of their choice, audition not required of children in grades 1-3. No appointment necessary. 423-614-8240.
• Marching Band exhibition: Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School, 1850 Battlefield Parkway, 7 p.m., free but spectators asked to bring two nonperishable canned goods for donation to Christ Chapel Food Pantry Ministries of Catoosa County. Heritage, LFO and Ringgold high school marching bands present their 2013 marching shows in exhibition. 706-866-0342.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 7
• Forum on Affordable HealthCare Act: Chattanooga Public Library, 1001 Broad St., 2 p.m., free. Panel speaking on physician participation, how to enroll, businesses' responsibilities to be in compliance with the Affordable Health Care Act, which begins enrollment Oct. 1. firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Librarians Training: First Baptist Church, 1275 Industrial Park Road, Cleveland, Tenn., 8 a.m.-4 p.m., $40 includes breakfast, snacks, lunch and door prizes. All school, public and church librarians invited to nondenominational training on ebooks, Internet resources, Concourse and Atrium library software and to hear a speaker on writing and publishing books. Register by email to email@example.com.
• Lost Cove hike: Meet at Blue Chair Cafe, 41 University Ave., Sewanee, Tenn., 10 a.m., free, join Sewanee professor Jon Evans on moderately strenuous wildflower hike into Lost Cove. Bring lunch and water, wear appropriate shoes. 931-598-0157.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...