BATTLE OF THE BADGES — McKenzie Arena, Fourth and Mabel streets. Ten Guns and Hoses boxing matches pit area police officers against firefighters, 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6. $20 general admission, $25 ringside reserved. Proceeds benefit Forgotten Child Fund and YMCA’s YCAP program. chattboxing.com.
CHATTANOOGA GHOST TOURS — The Little Curiosity Shoppe, 138 Market St. Walking tours through downtown, ghost hunts through University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and Citizens Cemetery, 7:30 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays until March 1. $15 adults, $10 ages 12 and younger. 423-821-7125.
CHRISTMAS IN THE COVE — Mountain Cove Farms, 994 Dougherty Gap Road, Chickamauga, Ga. Holiday shopping with local crafters, music by local groups, photos with Santa, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Dec. 14, 1-7 p.m. Dec. 15.
ENCHANTED GARDEN OF LIGHTS — Rock City Gardens, 1400 Patten Road, Lookout Mountain. Holiday light show with nightly music performances 6-9 nightly through Jan. 4. Closed Christmas Eve night. $19.95 adults, $11.95 children. 706-820-2531.
HIKES — Led by Soddy-Daisy Hiking Club. Bring water and snack. Carpool locations given for those who want to meet group. 423-842-3619.
* Saturday, Dec. 7: Stinging Fork and Twin Rock Overlook, moderate 5 miles, meet at Durham Street parking lot in Soddy-Daisy, 9 a.m.
* Tuesday, Dec. 10: Lower Leggett Loop, moderate 5 miles, meet at Durham Street parking lot in Soddy-Daisy, 9 a.m.
* Saturday, Dec. 14: Savage Gulf, moderate 8 miles, meet at Durham Street parking lot in Soddy-Daisy, 9 a.m.
HOLIDAYS UNDER THE PEAKS — Tennessee Aquarium, 1 Broad St. Daily programs on aquarium animals, Scuba Santa at 11 a.m. Fridays-Saturdays through Dec. 22. Free with regular aquarium admission of $24.95 adults, $14.95 child ages 3-12. www.tnaqua.org.
IRON GAMING CHALLENGE — Chattanooga Convention Center, 1 Carter Plaza. Three-day event for gamers includes casual Kids Play, 5-9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6; tournaments, free-to-play games, cosplay contests and exhibitors, Saturday-Sunday, Dec. 7-8; plus mixer at MainX24 Glow party Saturday night. $10 bring-your-own-PC pass, $15 Saturday pass, $10 Sunday pass, $50 family pass (two adults, two children); extra fees for tournament play. www.eventbrite.com.
LIGHTS UP ON THE LAKE — James H. “Sloppy” Floyd State Park, Summerville, Ga. Drive-through illuminated scenes at picnic area by lake, Fridays-Sundays through Dec. 29. $5 parking if you walk through. 706-857-0826.
OOLTEWAH FARMERS MARKET — Ooltewah Nursery & Landscape Co., 5829 Main St. Open 3-5 p.m. Thursdays. 423-238-9775.
PURPLE PASSION FASHION/HAIR SHOW — Mane Event Salon, 5525 St. Elmo Ave. Show to benefit Purple Passion Foundation and Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, 6 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7. Includes door prizes, entertainment, food. $10. 423-468-3425, lookgoodfeelbetter.org.
TRAIN RIDES — Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, 4119 Cromwell Road. 423-894-8028, www.tvrail.com.
* Missionary Ridge Local: Six-mile, 55-minute ride through East Chattanooga to TVRM’s repair shop. Departures 10:40 a.m., 12:05, 1:15 and 2:25 p.m. Saturdays in December; $16 adults, $10 ages 3-12.
* North Pole Limited: Refreshments, storytelling, sing-alongs and Santa gives present to each child on train ride, $24 all ages. Departures 5:45, 7:30 and 9:15 p.m. Fridays-Sundays, Dec. 6-8, 13-15, 20-22.
CREATIVE DISCOVERY MUSEUM — 321 Chestnut St. $11.95 adults and children. 423-756-2738, www.cdmfun.org.
* Saturday, Dec. 7: Preschool Adventure Day, 10 a.m.-noon, visit Gingerbread Village, play with dough, frost a cookie, make a baker’s hat and gingerbread puppet.
* Saturday, Dec. 14: Holiday blanket concert by CSO members, noon-2 p.m.
* Through Dec. 21: Gingerbread House workshops, admission for three people is $25 CDM members, $45 nonmembers, workshops start at either 10:30 am. or 2 p.m., for complete schedule of days and times: www.cdmfun.org.
PAW PALS STORYTIME — McKamey Animal Center, 4500 N. Access Road. Monthly event for children ages 2-5, 1:30-2 p.m. today, Dec. 5. No charge, but each participant is asked to bring a can of cat or dog food. 423-305-6504.
SMALL FRY MINI-PROGRAMS — Tennessee Aquarium, 1 Broad St. Programs for young children accompanied by their parent/caregiver, 10:15-11 a.m. Free with regular aquarium admission.
* Today, Dec. 5: Colors
* Monday, Dec. 9 and Thursday, Dec. 12 and 12: Sounds.
BIG BAND DANCE — American Legion Post 95, 3229 Ringgold Road. Dance to the music of the 17-piece Legionnaires Big Band, 7-10 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7. $5. 423-624-9105.
related articles »
Due to the forecast of rain for Saturday, the Holiday Starlight Parade will be held Sunday at 6 p.m., organizers ...
Art exhibits, theatre and film event happenings in the Scenic City this week.