Colton McGriff's third consecutive double-double helped Covenant College edge Berry 94-90 in overtime in men's basketball Saturday on Lookout Mountain. That followed Berry's 77-58 win in the women's game as the Covenant teams ended the 2013 portions of their schedules. The Scots (5-5) led 80-73 with 59 seconds left in regulation, but the Vikings surged to force the extra five minutes, only to have McGriff and Ben Phelps bookend the overtime with three-point plays for the Scots. McGriff had 26 points and 13 rebounds while Nate Frierson had 23 points, five assists and three steals for Covenant. Micah Turner also had five assists with his 11 points, and Phelps scored 13. For Berry, Owen Jacobs had 25 points and 22 rebounds and Mac Whalen and Hunter Smoak scored 18 and 15 points. Chanlir Segarra scored 19 points and Mel McLean and Emma Cook added 16 and 15 plus nine and 10 rebounds for the Lady Vikings, McLean also with six assists. Katie Leverette scored 16 points off the bench for the Lady Scots, who got 10 points and three steals from Morgan Woodward. They trailed by two points at halftime but shot only 17 percent in the second half.
• Senior guard Hollie German scored seven of her 35 points in the last minute and a half to help the Lee University women's basketball team win 81-76 Saturday at Bethel in McKenzie, Tenn. German, who was 5-of-10 on 3-point shots, added six assists for the Lady Flames (4-2), who got 13 and 11 points and nine rebounds apiece from Karley Miller and Jenna Adams and five assists with eight points from defensive specialist Rachel Lockhart. Tayla Foster had 30 points and four steals and Jackliann Street passed for nine assists for Bethel (8-4), while Kenyatta Drake had 13 reobunds with nine points.
• Making seven of eight free throws, Rashaud Bell scored 15 points in 16 minutes on the court to lead five double-figure scorers for the Tennessee Temple University men's basketball team Saturday in a 68-62 win over Mid-Continent at McGilvray Gymnasium. Weedlens Beauvil scored 13 and Jarrett Smith, Travaris Clarke and Jalen Smith added 10 each for the Crusaders (7-3); Jarrett Smith also had nine assists. Joe Gilmore had 23 points and four steals for the 0-10 Kentucky team.
• Jessica Salera scored 29 points and Amanda Rector had 26 points, nine rebounds and four assists in Tennessee Temple's 88-76 win over Montreat at the Union College women's tournament in Barbourville, Ky. TaQuasha O'Neal had 17 points and six assists and Kirsten Fowler made four steals in the Lady Crusaders' third win in four games after an 0-6 season start.
• The Bryan College women's basketball team overcame 21 and 20 points by Hiwassee's Haylee Morrow and Halei LeQuire to win 92-60 Saturday in Dayton. Victoria Griffin had 14 points and eight rebounds, Kristin Lane had 13 points and five steals and Keila Formont had nine points, eight rebounds and six assists for Bryan (9-3). In Bryan's 68-63 win Friday at Hiwassee, Robert Troino was 8-of-11 on 3-pointers in scoring 31 points and Brandon Cole had 17 points and 12 rebounds. Troino scored 23 in the second half.
• There will be no Chattanooga Quarterback Club luncheon meeting the next three Mondays. The next one will be on Jan. 6.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
The Chattanooga Lookouts are having their annual job fair this Saturday morning for a variety of 2014 season positions.
The Bryan College women's basketball team created a three-way tie at the top of the Appalachian Athletic Conference standings with ...
Chattanooga men's fastpitch softball pitching legend Bobby McDaniel died Sunday after a long illness.
Former Calhoun (Ga.) High School star Da'Rick Rogers made his first six pass receptions as an Indianapolis Colt and scored ...