• Democratic Women’s Club Coffee Hour: The Camp House, 1427 Williams St., 10 a.m., visitors welcome.
• UTC ElderScholars: UTC University Center, Lookout Mountain Room, on campus between Vine and Fifth streets, noon lunch (Dutch treat) in University Center cafeteria food court, 1 p.m. program by Meili Niu and Sam Speed on “Life in China Today,” 425-4363.
• Asia Conference: UTC University Center auditorium, on campus between Vine and Fifth streets, 12:15-5 p.m., free. Speakers Shelley Rigger, Kingsley Brock and Craig Laing are followed by a panel discussion on travel in Asia and a performance by South Asian Dance, www.utc.edu/Outreach/AsiaConference.
• Father-Daughter Dance: Walker County Civic Center, 10052 N. Highway 27, Rock Spring, Ga. 6-9 p.m. Tickets are $5 per person, including refreshments; additional $5 for corsage. Father-daughter dance benefits Four Points Inc., which serves victims of domestic violence. For reservations, call 706-638-1555.
• Reel Rocks 7 Film Tour: UTC University Center, between Vine and Fifth streets, 6:30 p.m., $15. Film tour brings best in climbing and adventure films to town in benefit for Southeastern Climbers Coalition, www.imathlete.com/events/reelrock7.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...