HARTFORD, Conn. — A Connecticut man who says he lost an eye after being shot by Aaron Hernandez in February was ordered Friday to appear before a grand jury in Massachusetts that is considering the murder case against the former New England Patriots tight end.
Superior Court Judge Joan Alexander in Hartford ordered Alexander Bradley to appear July 17 in Fall River, Mass., where a grand jury is looking into allegations Hernandez orchestrated the shooting of Odin Lloyd.
Lloyd, a 27-year-old semi-pro football player for the Boston Bandits, was found slain June 17 near Hernandez’s home in North Attleborough, Mass. Prosecutors say Hernandez arranged Lloyd’s shooting because he was upset at him for talking to certain people at the club.
Hernandez has been charged with murder in district court in Massachusetts, but a grand jury indictment or probable cause hearing would be necessary for him to face trial on felony charges. Hernandez has pleaded not guilty.
The Bristol County district attorney’s office in Massachusetts said it could not comment on any grand jury investigation.
Bradley, 33, has filed a civil lawsuit against Hernandez, asserting he was shot in the face by the former player in February as they were driving in Florida after arguing in a Miami nightclub.
At the time, he told police he did not know who had shot him.
Bradley had been fighting an interstate grand jury subpoena, asserting he needed to return to Florida for medical treatment on July 10.
Attorney Robert Pickering argued Friday that Bradley’s civil case has nothing to do with the Massachusetts investigation.
“The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is relying on a statement of a lawyer of Mr. Bradley that these crimes are strikingly similar to the crime in the Hernandez matter,” he said. “Clearly this petition states that my client has never stated that.”
Alexander found that Bradley’s medical treatment should not prevent him from being in Massachusetts a week later.