Large pickups topped the list of most frequently stolen passenger cars in the past three years. The vehicles with the highest number of claims for the 2010-12 model years were:
1. Ford F-250 crew 4 wheel drive, large pickup, 7 claims per 1,000 vehicles
2. Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew, large pickup, 6.7 claims per 1,000 vehicles
3. Chevrolet Avalanche 1500, large SUV, 6.1 claims per 1,000 vehicles
4. GMC Sierra 1500 crew, large pickup, 6 claims per 1,000 vehicles
5. Ford F-350 crew 4-wheel drive, large pickup, 5.6 claims per 1,000 vehicles
Source: Highway Loss Data Institute, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
Dave Flessner is the business editor for the Times Free Press. A journalist for 35 years, Dave has been business editor and projects editor for the Chattanooga Times Free Press, city editor for The Chattanooga Times, business and county reporter for the Chattanooga Times, correspondent for the Lansing State Journal and Ingham County News in Michigan, staff writer for the Hastings Daily Tribune in Nebraska, and news director for WCBN-FM in Michigan. Dave, a native ...