Chattanooga firefighters had a busy night, responding to numerous calls that ended with a 2-alarm apartment fire in Hixson
A passing motorist was among several who called 911 around 4:30 a.m., saying flames were visible at North River Village apartments at 5407 Hixson Pike.
Flames were shooting out the windows of one of the apartment units when the first firefighters arrived on the scene.
Firefighters banged on apartment doors, alerting the residents to get out. Meantime, the flames continued to spread and trapped two residents in their apartment.
Tun Myint and Win Thein in Apartment 201 attempted to go out their front door, but were blocked by the fire on the outside of the building. They yelled for help and two firefighters who were nearby responded. Firefighters attacked the fire on the outside of Apartment 201. Once the fire was knocked down, the two men safely got out of their apartment.
Chattanooga firefighters aggressively fought the fire - saving part of the building - and eventually got the blaze under control around 6 a.m. No injuries were reported.
Several businesses were damaged, and the fire displaced residents in the 11 apartment units.
The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental, according to a news release.
The release said Andrew Waters with the Fire Investigation Division believes the fire started accidentally, though what exactly sparked the blaze remain under investigation.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:
related articles »
A smoldering cigarette butt caused a raging fire early Friday morning at an East Brainerd apartment complex that put about ...
An early morning fire at an East Brainerd apartment complex has put about 75 people out of their homes.
The Chattanooga Fire Department responded just after 10 p.m. Tuesday to the Patten Towers apartments on 11th Street after smoke ...
A Chattanooga family is homeless following an apartment fire started with a cigarette this afternoon.