* Book signing: Lifeway Christian Bookstore, 2200 Hamilton Place Blvd., 1-4 p.m., Rita Carr signs "My Journey Home: Jesus Christ the Rescuer of Wounded Emotions." 423-893-3290.
* Book Signing: Barnes & Noble, Hamilton Place, 3-5 p.m., former Chattanoogan Cathy Napier signs "Operation Daughters Addicted." 505-948-1942.
* Artists fair: Village Market, 5002 University Drive, Collegedale, Tenn., 8 a.m. -6 p.m., free. 236-2301.
* Bradley County Democratic Party: Cleveland-Bradley County Public Library, 795 Church St., Cleveland, Tenn., 6 p.m. Bradley County Democratic Women meet, 7 p.m. regular meeting, visitors welcome. Bill Estes, dean of the College of Education at Lee University and Cleveland City Councilman, will speak on "The Greatest Short-Term and Long-Term Threat to Bradley County."
* Walker County United Progressives: Home of David Boyle, 472 Loughridge Lane, LaFayette, Ga., 7 p.m., visitors welcome; all participants asked to bring their favorite political cartoon. 706-764-2801.
* Chattanooga Photographic Society: St. John United Methodist Church, 3921 Murray Hills Drive, 7 p.m., visitors welcome. Program by sports photographer Andy Mitchell. 344-5643.
* Southern Appalachian Back Country Horsemen: Tri-State Exhibition Center, Interstate 75 North, exit 20, Cleveland, Tenn., bear left off exit and follow road to exhibition center, 6 p.m., all horse owners welcome. Randy Speegle presents program on how to maneuver a horse over trail obstacles. 238-5540.
* Walker County Historical Society: Meet in the Marsh House parking lot, 308 N. Main St., LaFayette, Ga., to carpool to 1848 Clisby Austin House in Tunnel Hill, Ga., 2:15 p.m., visitors welcome. 706-764-2801.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...
related articles »
• Catoosa County Historical Society: Old Stone Church Museum, intersection of U.S. Highway 41 and Georgia Highway 2, Ringgold, Ga., ...
• Benefit concert: Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, 799 Inman St., Cleveland, Tenn., 5 p.m., donations accepted at gospel concert to ...
• Book Signing: Barnes & Noble, Hamilton Place, 1-3 p.m., Linda Murray Bullard signs “The Well Ran Dry: Memoirs of ...