published Monday, June 24th, 2013

2 dozen inmates sickened by carbon monoxide at East Tennessee jail

JONESBOROUGH, Tenn. — Carbon monoxide has sickened more than two dozen inmates at an East Tennessee jail.

Washington County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Leighta Laitinen told the Johnson City Press one inmate lost consciousness during the incident Saturday morning and was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Authorities said a malfunctioning gas-fired water heater leaked the gas into two pods of the jail in Jonesborough. When inmates began complaining of headaches, jailers took some of them to the booking area and others to an exercise yard.

The water heater was turned off and the pods were ventilated.

Laitenen said the sheriff’s office staff will meet Monday to discuss why no detection system was installed and how much it would cost to get one.

about Associated Press...

The Associated Press

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.