* Georgia Trail of Tears Association: Chief Vann House State Historic Site, 82 Georgia Highway 225, Chatsworth, Ga., 10:30 a.m., free, visitors welcome. Program by Tony Harris, ethnobotanist specializing in Cherokee plants, and Ron Cooper, author of "It's My Trail, Too," describing his trip along the Trail of Tears from Georgia to Oklahoma. Program followed by book signing. 706-695-2598.
* Chattanooga Writers Guild: Chattanooga Public Library, 1001 Broad St., 6:30-8 p.m., free and visitors welcome. Grace Beam leads discussion on forming and keeping a critique group. 757-5310.
* ElderScholars: UTC University Center, noon lunch in University Center food court, 1 p.m. meeting in Lookout Mountain Room of the center, free except for cost of own lunch, visitors welcome. Program by Cindy Pare, administrator of the MaryEllen Locher Foundation. 425-4363.
* Requiem performance: First Baptist Church, 401 Gateway Ave., 7 p.m., $5, concert by 150 singers from Chattanooga Center for Creative Arts and Chattanooga Christian School. 209-5942.
* Chattanooga Stamp Club: Hickory Valley Christian Church, 6605 Shallowford Road, 6:30 p.m. doors open, 7 p.m. meeting, visitors welcome. Program on "Space on Stamps." American Philatelic Society sales books available to purchase stamps. 344-7849 or 706-935-6859.
* College open house: Tennessee Wesleyan College, Department of Education, Athens, Tenn., 4:30-6 p.m., free. New open house launches series to show new programs, technology and facilities to community. Series will provide information on changes affecting Tennessee education as well as overview of new master of science in curriculum leadership. 423-746-5259.
* 3-D printing event: Chattanooga Public Library, fourth floor, 1001 Broad St., 11 a.m.-4 p.m., free. Library and CO:LAB partner to present 3-D printing event, which includes demonstrations, interactive activities with 3-D scanners, Q&A opportunities and a display of prints. 757-5426.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...