published Wednesday, March 20th, 2013

12-year-old boy arrested in Minnesota school lockdown

  • photo
    A Minnesota State Patrol officer escorts students into New Prague Middle School in New Prague, Minn., after authorities in New Prague responded to a 911 call concerning an “active shooter” at the middle school.
    Photo by Associated Press /Chattanooga Times Free Press.
    The Star Tribune, Richard Sennott

NEW PRAGUE, Minn. — Authorities in Minnesota have arrested a 12-year-old boy in what they say was a prank call that prompted a school lockdown.

The middle school in New Prague, a small town about 45 miles southwest of Minneapolis, was locked down after the 911 call came in about 8 a.m. Wednesday.

Scott County Sheriff Kevin Studnicka says the caller claimed there was a person armed with an AK-47 in a school building, and that a few people had been shot.

New Prague Police Chief Mark Vosejpka (voh-SAYP’-kuh) says police determined there was no threat within about half an hour, and quickly zeroed in on the 12-year-old. He didn’t say what led authorities to the boy.

The school canceled classes for the rest of the day but students are expected to return Thursday.

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement
400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.