published Thursday, May 2nd, 2013

The Detainee

about Clay Bennett...

The son of a career army officer, Bennett led a nomadic life, attending ten different schools before graduating in 1980 from the University of North Alabama with degrees in Art and History. After brief stints as a staff artist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Fayetteville (NC) Times, he went on to serve as the editorial cartoonist for the St. Petersburg Times (1981-1994) and The Christian Science Monitor (1997-2007), before joining the staff of the ...

199
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
AndrewLohr said...

Justice requires (1) that people who didn't do it get a chance to say so and prove so, or at least claim the evidence fails to prove they did it.

Justice requires spending $250,000 or more to build a soccer field for the detainees. No it doesn't, tho we did.

Justice requires (2) that people who had a legal right to do it get a chance to say so and prove it. George Zimmerman can claim, perhaps, that a football player was beating his head on the ground and he shot in self-defense.

Justice requires that guys we got with some help from waterboarding be turned loose because the evidence is tainted. No it doesn't. Can our President raise bin Laden from the dead, or is that above Mr Obama's pay grade? If a guy is guilty, let the waterboarding reduce his sentence. (We'll execute him as humanely as possible--make him breathe pure nitrogen?) If innocent, let him waterboard his waterboarders or accept compensation from them, or perhaps even forgive them--there are Christian precedents.

Justice requires (3) that people who did it without an exact legal right can claim it was the right thing to do under the circumstances, and try to prove that.

Justice requires that people who did it get off if they blame someone else. No it doesn't. Joblessness and deficits both increased under President Obama, but this is President Bush's fault? No, Obama should have seen they were bad enough already.

Justice requires (4) that defendants who have something to say for themselves get a chance to say it, and the prosecution a chance to rebut. Maybe some terrorist becomes a Christian and, by way of repenting from murderous sins, gives useful information that saves lives or convicts other murderers. Adjust his sentence accordingly.

So set up tribunals to process these guys at Gitmo, or at least take a clear look at each case and say what they deserve and what prevention of murder requires. (We'll turn you loose--with permanent implanted webcam?) Some might be innocent, some might be safe in looser confinement, some may need to stay locked up (and why not at Gitmo?), some may need to be executed (see if hanging with pork stuffed in their mouths would deter Muslims? Some say it worked for Pershing against Muslim terrorists in the Philippines a century ago).

Analog Science Fiction suggested execution by nitrogen inhalation. Dr Roberta Binkley's Ancient Rhetoric class at UTC listed the 1-4 justice requires (I may misremember 4).

May 2, 2013 at 12:51 a.m.
Easy123 said...

Rachel Maddow said it better than I could:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26315908/#51725527

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26315908/#51725655

Guantanamo needs to be shut down. The 55 prisoners that have been prevented from being released, transferred, or resettled should be allowed to. Congress has voted to prevent these prisoners from being released. The majority of these prisoners are low-level fighters or completely innocent of any wrongdoing.

President Obama has been stonewalled by Congress numerous times in his attempts to shut down Gitmo. When will we be able to rid ourselves of the perpetual stain on the United States that is Gitmo?

May 2, 2013 at 2:02 a.m.
magenta said...

A nagging question: Are there, or have there been women held at Guatanamo? As recent as 2006 or 2007 a reporter claims to have seen a medical form prisoners had to fill out for medical attention left lying on a desk. What caught their eye was on the form they noted the individual was listed as pregnant. If true, was the woman already pregnant when she got there, or was she impregnated by one of the guards. And what became of the child if she was able to carry hiim or her to term?

May 2, 2013 at 2:06 a.m.
nucanuck said...

Coming to grips with our mistakes is essential if we believe that we can re-energize the American Dream.

Gitmo should be high on the list.

May 2, 2013 at 2:21 a.m.
dougmusn said...

Congress seems fixated on the concern the GTMO detainees will "return to the battlefield" but forgets the detention itself makes more terrorists more effectively than they could ever be if released save such clearly evil people as KSM.

Others still believe these detainees have some valuable secrets. Information is valuable when fresh and useless when old. Gee, they might be able if so inclined to tell us Bin Laden is in Tora Bora. True then, false now and clearly valueless.

It's past time to close the facility, release the chaff and move the wheat to one of the nameless prisons in the Federal system.

May 2, 2013 at 5:32 a.m.
anniebelle said...

dougmusn, What an intriguing avatar. The Japanese snow monkey is one of my favorites to observe.

May 2, 2013 at 6:39 a.m.
delmar said...

"The beat(torture) goes on" - Sonny Bono

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article34794.htm

May 2, 2013 at 6:56 a.m.
aidehua said...

AS Clay would have it, American justice is prostrating itself toward Mecca. Those Guantanamo detainees should have been executed a long time ago and this problem would no longer exist.

May 2, 2013 at 7:01 a.m.
anniebelle said...

Yes, aidehua, that's a good policy. Maybe other countries will follow suit when they capture our young men and women -- just let gawd sort 'em out.

May 2, 2013 at 7:04 a.m.
limric said...

A nagging question: "Are there, or have there been women held at Guantanamo?"

Yes Magenta. Her name is Justitia, one of two of the most honored women in history. The other being her younger sister Lady Liberty. The effects of Justitia's binding are taking their toll; her sisters face transforming to a look more akin to PlainTruths avatar than the proud holder of the flame of liberty - with each passing day.

I'd posit that either sister would barely recognize a country they fell so madly in love with (now run by small men & frightened bully's) so long ago.

Again. Nice work Clay.

May 2, 2013 at 7:50 a.m.
conservative said...

Only an anti- American Liberal would place a sword in reach of an Islamic terrorist!

May 2, 2013 at 7:55 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

conservative demonstrates that the cartoon went completely over his head

May 2, 2013 at 8 a.m.
joneses said...

Why does not o'bastard shut down Gitmo? He has signed an Executive Order to shut it down. another example of O'Bastard's lying to you fools that support/worship him.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/22/guantanamo.order/index.html?_s=PM:POLITICS

May 2, 2013 at 8:06 a.m.
conservative said...

The picture is all wrong, the terroist could still remove his mask in order to spit at an American soldier and his hands are still free enough to throw his feces at an American soldier.

Hmm, maybe Mr. Bennett knows that.

May 2, 2013 at 8:11 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

Again, conservative, you demonstrate that you have no idea what this cartoon represents. Perhaps you ought to stop before you make yourself look even more ignorant.

May 2, 2013 at 8:12 a.m.
tifosi said...

Right out of Chattanooga's history book:

Confederate forces charged all the raiders with "acts of unlawful belligerency"; the civilians were charged as unlawful combatants and spies. All the prisoners were tried in military courts, or courts-martial. Tried in Chattanooga, Andrews was found guilty. He was executed by hanging on June 7 in Atlanta.

Be careful what you wish for.

May 2, 2013 at 8:21 a.m.
timbo said...

Bennett, you've got to be joking. Maybe we should send these nice fellas that he's worried about to his house.

Bennett is becoming a liberal cliché.

May 2, 2013 at 8:50 a.m.
timbo said...

Lkeithlu .,,,, Everybody knows the juvenile point he was trying to make. It just meant something a little different too conservative. Ignorance is in the of the beholder.

You can't hold these guys forever but the ones that have been sent back, the majority have attacked us again. It needs to stay open until the Muslim terrorists stop attacking us.

Even Obama, after saying he was going to close it down, understands that fact.

You need to put direct pressure on that bleeding heart.

Again, name-calling… Ignorance this… Ignorance that, don't you think you should be a little more polite.

May 2, 2013 at 9:04 a.m.
conservative said...

I guess there is not in the current news a story of a heinous murderer on death row somewhere in America that the Liberals are trying to free.

May 2, 2013 at 9:05 a.m.
Leaf said...

Very provocative cartoon. Well done.

May 2, 2013 at 9:05 a.m.
Leaf said...

Well said nucanuck.

May 2, 2013 at 9:08 a.m.
alprova said...

Ikeithlu wrote: "conservative demonstrates that the cartoon went completely over his head"

Clearly, this is not a new phenomenon. He routinely sees something other than what is right in front of his face.

May 2, 2013 at 9:10 a.m.
alprova said...

Ikeithlu wrote: "Again, conservative, you demonstrate that you have no idea what this cartoon represents. Perhaps you ought to stop before you make yourself look even more ignorant."

Too late...

May 2, 2013 at 9:29 a.m.
alprova said...

Timbo wrote: "Everybody knows the juvenile point he was trying to make. It just meant something a little different too conservative. Ignorance is in the of the beholder."

Ignorance is in the WHAT of the beholder? The eye or the heart or both?

"Again, name-calling… Ignorance this… Ignorance that, don't you think you should be a little more polite."

Forrest Gump said it best. "Stupid is as stupid does. And that's all I've got to say about that."

May 2, 2013 at 9:33 a.m.
patriot1 said...

Can't believe Socialist Day came and went without being acknowledged by Bennett....Is he slipping?

May 2, 2013 at 9:37 a.m.
conservative said...

"What I found at Guantanamo Bay was that the American servicemen and women there are committed to standards well above those of the average citizen. For twelve hours a day, four days a week, for at least a year, these soldiers with a median age of 22 demonstrate inspiring discipline and dedication to duty. There are multiple assaults on guards every day, mostly verbal and sometimes physical. At least once a week, every week, at least one soldier is doused with a “body fluid cocktail” of feces and urine as they attempt to perform their daily routine. I asked one young female non-commissioned officer what happens after such an event. She explained that the soldier washes off and changes into a clean uniform, and after a medical evaluation is permitted to choose whether or not to return to the cell block."

http://pjmedia.com/blog/a-firsthand-look-at-the-real-guantanamo/2/

May 2, 2013 at 9:39 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

I guess the cartoon is too subtle for some....

May 2, 2013 at 9:39 a.m.
Leaf said...

This is about the time that a president starts thinking about his legacy. W. decided to focus on AIDS in Africa.

A fine legacy for Obama would be obamacare. If he can close Gitmo and end Bush's wars as well, that would be very good. If he would decide to drastically scale back the use of drones and put into place safeguards and doctrines for their use, that would be great - something to counteract the Bush Doctrine of preemptive strikes on suspected terrorists and the countries that might harbor them.

May 2, 2013 at 9:47 a.m.
Lr103 said...

Did anyone notice, or is it just me, the picture seems to possibly debict a female? The build of the individual and what appears to be breast in the chest area? I too have often wondered if there were any women being held at Gitmo? Brings to mind the female Iraqi scientist. Whatever became of her?

timbo said...

You can't hold these guys forever but the ones that have been sent back, the majority have attacked us again. It needs to stay open until the Muslim terrorists stop attacking us.

(1.)Did it ever occur to you, little timmy-timbo-timb price (since you came out of the closet) that any turn to terrorism after having been released might be due to the fact those held were treated so brutally while held in bondage at Gitmo? That the vast majority were either low level or had no ties to terrorism at all? That by continuing to hold and torture these individuals only promise to create more terrorists? Remember, about 95% of those accused of being terrorist or havin ties to terroism had nothing to do with neither before being captured, held and tortured.

Even Obama, after saying he was going to close it down, understands that fact.

(2.) Actually, lil timmy, it's Congress who has been stalling on the closing of Gitmo. see below, the possibility of why*.

You need to put direct pressure on that bleeding heart.

(3.) At least he has a heart. Yours seems to have rotted if it ever existed at all.

Me thinks, It's the fear of what these individuals might reveal to the world of what was done to them while being held in captivity that's of concern and holding up their release. What happened at Abu Ghraib might pale in comparison. And America can no longer point fingers and claim the moral high ground of humanity and morality when, in future wars (and I guarantee there will be future wars) when its own men and women are captured and brutally tortured by the enemy. A nation can't comman respect for human life, ALL human life, if it isn't capable of showing the same in turn.

May 2, 2013 at 9:50 a.m.
Leaf said...

Now now, don't everyone pile on conservative. We all know he's brain-damaged; there's no need to rub it in. CRAP, I just did it too.

May 2, 2013 at 9:52 a.m.
Lr103 said...

LOL!! Fer shame! Fer shame on YEW, LEAF!!

If only If only, the Bush and friends had been willing to share in the oil and poppy rather than being greedy and wanting to own it ALL LOCK, STOCK AND BARREL

May 2, 2013 at 9:57 a.m.
conservative said...

Yikes!

Mr. Bennett doesn't even give the terrorist a prayer rug.

May 2, 2013 at 9:59 a.m.
limric said...

Yes Joneses, Obama promised to close it but did what he always does, caved- to pressure from Congress and pro-camp advocates; the small men and frightened bully’s I mentioned earlier.

Guantanamo is a Mobius strip of double realities. It has become a twisted reminder of the vague and Orwellian war on terror, a childish reaction to calamity. It’s a rebuke to law, an extra-legal subversion, a mockery of our legal system and international law. To some, closing it is seen as scary and a violation. To keep it open likewise remains a violation - of principle.

This is an ongoing stain for the Obama administration, bringing what seem to be empty gestures of empathy. The fact that closure seems unlikely doesn’t detract from the faux pathos – he is after all performing a political kabuki performance and fears more than anything, confrontation or that his reputation may be sullied. New terrorist recruits are readying new ideologies based on indiscriminate drone strikes and America’s never ending meddling (bullying).

It is a pity that, for all the crocodile tear-jerking, the promise to close the base probably, A) won’t happen; and B) won’t have much effect. Purgatories are, by their very nature, intractable and, for GITMO - irresistible.

Wow lkeithlu The cartoon may too subtle for some??....Ya think! Whew! Whoosh - over their heads like cruise missile at treetop level.

May 2, 2013 at 10:01 a.m.
Lr103 said...

conservative said... Yikes! Mr. Bennett doesn't even give the terrorist a prayer rug

As if those holding them in bondage did?

May 2, 2013 at 10:04 a.m.
Leaf said...

OK, for those who didn't notice the balance and sword, google "Blind Justice."

May 2, 2013 at 10:17 a.m.
Leaf said...

damn good writing, limric. Wish I could word real good like yew.

May 2, 2013 at 10:22 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

OK, for those who didn't notice the balance and sword, google "Blind Justice."

Thank you, Leaf for pointing that out. I swear this cartoon is not as subtle as many of Clay's, and it is astounding to me that anyone thinks this depicts a Muslim male. I'm not that bright and I got it immediately.

May 2, 2013 at 10:28 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

Obama nominates subprime lender whose bank failed, costing depositors millions. Cabinet post for one of the "fat-cat" bankers he once denounced. The man is truly a sorry leader. (and the public is s l o w l y catching on.)

May 2, 2013 at 10:56 a.m.
conservative said...

On the other hand maybe Mr. Bennett deliberately omitted the prayer rug to indicate that the Islamic terrorist was an apostate to the instructions of the Koran and was instead a peaceful man who just wandered onto the battlefield and innocently picked up an AK 47 and thereby was unjustly imprisoned by American soldiers.

May 2, 2013 at 11:18 a.m.
Easy123 said...

timboner,

"Ignorance is in the of the beholder."

It's not everyday you see someone try to rationalize ignorance, but I guess there is a first time for everything.

"You can't hold these guys forever but the ones that have been sent back, the majority have attacked us again. It needs to stay open until the Muslim terrorists stop attacking us."

LIAR.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/06/from_gitmo_to_the_battlefield.html

"The latest Pentagon "fact sheet" on "former GTMO detainee terrorist trends," states that 37 former Guantanamo detainees are "confirmed or suspected" of having returned to "terrorist activities" since their release. It puts the so-called recidivism rate at "between 5 and 7 percent." Even Obama, after saying he was going to close it down, understands that fact."

"The Pentagon fact sheet names 13 former GITMO prisoners whose participation in various types of terrorist activity has been "confirmed," in most cases because they have been killed or captured on something resembling a battlefield. There is no evidence that any of the 13 killed Americans."

"In addition to the "confirmed" terrorists, the Pentagon also cites a figure of 24 former detainees "suspected" of terrorist activity on the basis of "unverified or single-source, but plausible, reporting."

"It is also wildly inaccurate to claim, as some have done, that at least 30 former Guantanamo detainees have been "killed or captured" on the battlefield, fighting against U.S. forces... The Pentagon report lists one former detainee killed while fighting U.S. forces in Afghanistan and one killed by Afghan forces. Another former detainee blew himself up to avoid capture by Pakistani security forces."

This link includes the most recent list of former detainees that have reengaged in "terrorism". As any objective person can see, the majority of those former detainees were not involved in "attacking us again".

"Again, name-calling… Ignorance this… Ignorance that, don't you think you should be a little more polite."

The truth hurts sometimes. If you don't want to be labeled "ignorant", then don't say things that would portray you as such. You have just presented false information. Are you a liar or are you ignorant of the facts?

Can't wait to read your lettered response.

May 2, 2013 at 11:34 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

Harry Reid's voice saps the utter life out of ears. It's like he's a Voice Suckologist: listen to him and you'll lose your vital essence.

May 2, 2013 at 11:36 a.m.
timbo said...

alprova..sorry, I meant "in the eye of the beholder." I will try to proof read a little better.

Also, you did the same as lkeithlu...Can you guys EVER write anything without saying how smart you think you are and how dumb everyone else is.

Intelligence is not about geography or political affiliation. Do you really think that there is any difference in intelligence between the two parties. It is about perspective. The conservative perspective is one thing and the liberal another. You can't understand us so we must be "dumb." Also, some of the conservative posters are religious. You think being religion is "ignorant." There are a lot of intelligent religious people that just don't believe as you do. It is strange to me that you have that understanding for all religions except Christianity. You libs defend the woman-hating, jihad Muslims all the time.

What good did the "stupid" do? Did it make you feel better?

May 2, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

Can you guys EVER write anything without saying how smart you think you are and how dumb everyone else is.

I rarely do this, but it is clear in this instance that conservative DID NOT UNDERSTAND THE CARTOON, timbo. It is not a matter of perspective.

May 2, 2013 at 12:12 p.m.
Easy123 said...

timboner,

"Can you guys EVER write anything without saying how smart you think you are and how dumb everyone else is."

Stating something, anything does not involve implying the opposite about yourself. For example, if I said "You are happy.", that does not imply that I am sad. No one here has made any statements about their own intelligence versus anyone else's. However, saying that someone is ignorant can be used accurately and not as an insult per se. The word has a definition. If you meet that definition, guess what? You qualify.

"Do you really think that there is any difference in intelligence between the two parties."

There is in this forum and there is no disputing that fact.

"It is about perspective. The conservative perspective is one thing and the liberal another."

There is no "perspective" when observing facts. There is only the fact. You can either choose to accept it or not. Typically, you and your ilk choose the lies, misinformation, etc. over the facts. Thus, qualifying yourselves for labels like "ignorant".

"You can't understand us so we must be "dumb.""

That is exactly the opposite of what truly occurs. You aren't a mystery. You believe lies and you subscribe to them like they are facts. It has nothing to do with "understanding" you. There are facts and there is everything else. You and your ilk tend to place your beliefs and opinion in the "everything else" category.

It's also important to note than no one called anyone "dumb". There is a difference between the terms "ignorant" and "dumb".

"Also, some of the conservative posters are religious. You think being religion is "ignorant." "

Alprova has never thought anything of the sort. Alprova is a Christian.

"There are a lot of intelligent religious people that just don't believe as you do. It is strange to me that you have that understanding for all religions except Christianity. You libs defend the woman-hating, jihad Muslims all the time."

This is a complete fabrication from you. It's a half-baked strawman argument based on a vast generalization and blatant misunderstanding of how secular people approach religion in the United States of America.

"What good did the "stupid" do? Did it make you feel better?"

I guess using Forrest Gump quotes to indirectly state a truth is out of bounds to Timboner Price? Get real. You do realize Alprova wasn't referring you anyone directly, right?

You should change your name to timbutthurt.

May 2, 2013 at 12:14 p.m.
timbo said...

lkeithlu....I can't speak for conservative but from his other posts I think he was trying to make fun of it. We just have to agree to disagree.

Still, the "stupid is as stupid does..." thing by alprova fit my description.

May 2, 2013 at 12:15 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Islamic freedom fighters are misunderstood. Let's allow more in on student visas; then lose track of them. Your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.

May 2, 2013 at 12:21 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

We will have to agree to disagree. As far as I have observed, conservative can't make fun of anything because he lacks a sense of humor. And you'd be hard pressed to find where I have ever questioned someone's intelligence. Grasp of reality? yes. Understanding of science? yes. Ignorance (which is not the same as stupid) yes.

And I have great respect for religion. But not the use of religion to judge or oppress others, not the denial of reality for religious reasons, and not the condemnation of any one religion based on a strawman definition of that religion, or because of the actions of some individuals in the name of that religion.

I think Bennett is using this cartoon to point out that as Americans we MUST take the high road, and not deny at least some level of justice to those that are in Gitmo-charge them, convict punish them or release them. Someone noted earlier-we are better than this, and we want our own citizens to be treated with dignity and justice by other countries. When we resort to terror, torture, indefinite incarceration, we are lowering ourselves to countries that do not value freedom.

May 2, 2013 at 12:23 p.m.
conservative said...

Hmm, we recently had a terrorist bombing killing innocent people and we are arresting terrorists almost everyday and now Liberals en masse want sane Americans to worry about terrorists at Club Gitmo.

That strategy is dumber than a box of rocks.

May 2, 2013 at 12:35 p.m.
Easy123 said...

conservative,

"we are arresting terrorists almost everyday"

That's entirely false.

"now Liberals en masse want sane Americans to worry about terrorists at Club Gitmo."

The vast majority of the detainees in Gitmo are low-level fighters or completely innocent of any wrongdoing. No dangerous "terrorists" since Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and that was 2008.

"That strategy is dumber than a box of rocks."

Your knowledge on the subject is severely lacking.

May 2, 2013 at 12:41 p.m.
Rickaroo said...

Timbo, you're such a hypocrite. I've seen most of your posts and you're as guilty as anybody of slinging derogatory names at libs. You say that being liberal or conservative has nothing to do with intelligence, that it's just a matter of perspective, but you have made it clear that you think liberalism is a stupid perspective. You have said so repeatedly. As for liberals defending Muslims...I don't know of any libs who do so - at least not the jihadist sort. I for one think that they are as despicable, and yes, stupid, as any fundamentalist Christian. Actually, jihadist Muslims are worse, if that's possible. At least very few fundies resort to killing non-believers in the name of God. They just spend their time pointing out the sins of others and then leave it up to their God to do his punishing in the afterlife. But there is no such thing as an intelligent FUNDAMENTALIST Christian - that is an oxymoron. Maybe it's a bit harsh to call them stupid. Maybe they're just nuts. Stupid. Loony. It's all a matter of "perspective," I guess.

May 2, 2013 at 12:46 p.m.
conservative said...

The strategy is so dumb that even the worse Liberals that comment here at the TFP have not even provided Mr. Austin one comment on his article. I doubt that even one Liberal has read it.

The advantage of Mr. Austin's articles is that the captions give the content away and one doesn't have to waste their time, even to disagree.

Mr. Austin can thank me later, for some out of pure duty will have to make a comment now even though they won't read it.

Come on Liberals, show your support.

May 2, 2013 at 12:46 p.m.
Rickaroo said...

The con-man is a perfect example of limited intelligence. His blind faith in archaic laws and his blind obedience to an imaginary, judging God (all because his fear of death is so great that he needs to think he's going to live forever) blocks a clear view to truth and intelligent observation. Is he stupid, or just nuts? Is one any worse than the other?

May 2, 2013 at 12:53 p.m.
jesse said...

The cartoon has no connection to the reality of the situation!

Bennett is just punching the "reaction"button!Get everybody stirred up and rantin and ravin! BTW: Why is Plain Truth usin a pix. of easy for an avatar??

May 2, 2013 at 12:58 p.m.
conservative said...

Hey, Mr. Austin got a comment. That is a 100% increase.

Come on Liberals,make a comment, you don't have to read the article, no one will know.

Show your support.

May 2, 2013 at 1:20 p.m.
dao1980 said...

Conny? Are you lost on the interwebs?? You know your computer runs on magic... the dark kind.. and only heathens use dark magic.

May 2, 2013 at 1:25 p.m.
timbo said...

Rickaroo. You are right and I was wrong to do that. I just got carried away like a lot more of the others on this page. I apologize.

Easy123 has cured me in that exchanging insults is not productive. It will not happen again.

May 2, 2013 at 1:27 p.m.
timbo said...

lkeithlu..People assumed this was a Muslim man because of the designation "Detainee" and the fact that that is the way these guys are dressed at Gitmo. Did you see Easy's pic?

May 2, 2013 at 1:34 p.m.
chatt_man said...

Lr103, "If only If only, the Bush and friends had been willing to share in the oil and poppy rather than being greedy and wanting to own it ALL LOCK, STOCK AND BARREL"

I asked Leaf, the other day, to educate me on the oil and missing money her, or she, claimed was the intent of going into Iraq, and never recv'd an answer. Maybe you can answer for Leaf.

May 2, 2013 at 1:36 p.m.
hambone said...

ALCOA plans a $275 million exspansion to add 200 jobs.

A big thanks to Andrew Lohr, Maximus, conservative, jesse, joneses and a few others for their support of TIN FOIL!

May 2, 2013 at 1:54 p.m.
jesse said...

Hey Hambone! your moniker is self discriptive ,actually there isn't enough tin foil to go around for all you dicks that take yourself way too seriously!

May 2, 2013 at 1:58 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

If I understand Harry Reid correctly, we need to spend more on Obamacare, in order to keep health care costs down.

May 2, 2013 at 2:08 p.m.
Easy123 said...

JonRoss,

Your psychosis has been duly noted.

May 2, 2013 at 2:53 p.m.
chatt_man said...

JonRoss - maybe they need to outlaw the guns up there. Oh...

May 2, 2013 at 2:53 p.m.
chatt_man said...

Mine too, Easy, I know your drill...

May 2, 2013 at 2:55 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

lkeithlu..People assumed this was a Muslim man because of the designation "Detainee" and the fact that that is the way these guys are dressed at Gitmo.

timbo, the cartoon is obviously Liberty-a woman blindfolded with scales and a sword. Even I could see that right from the beginning.

May 2, 2013 at 2:55 p.m.
Easy123 said...

chatt_man,

"JonRoss - maybe they need to outlaw the guns up there. Oh..."

If you must go there:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/02/15/1599631/no-chicago-isnt-proof-that-gun-regulation-doesnt-work/

Homicides and crime in Chicago have decreased significantly since 1982.

"Mine too, Easy, I know your drill..."

No, you don't.

Try again.

May 2, 2013 at 3:01 p.m.
Easy123 said...

JonRoss,

"Its obviously is a female martial arts participant afraid of contacting some disease, who just got kicked in the gonads (the nuanced part), dropped her weapons and fell to her knees."

How does one kick a woman in the ovaries? Also, since when are scales considered "weapons"? This female martial artist also handcuffed herself before this all occurred? And crumpled to the ground yet had time to cross her legs?

I understand you're trying to be clever or something, but it's like a brain injury type of clever.

May 2, 2013 at 3:08 p.m.
chatt_man said...

thinkprogress.... I'm impressed,

May 2, 2013 at 3:09 p.m.
chatt_man said...

I don't even have to read it, I'm sure it says Indiana is really close and has too lax gun control. My brother lives in chicago...

May 2, 2013 at 3:10 p.m.
chatt_man said...

He told me he was dying to get out. I told him to go downtown more often and he may get his wish.

May 2, 2013 at 3:12 p.m.
Easy123 said...

JonRoss,

"Or it could be a victim of Obamacare. But then again the cartoon figure is not in the process of being raped. So who knows."

You just love talking about rape.

"So why are 500 + people a year being murdered in Chicago ? Damn that George Bush."

University of Chicago's Crime Lab's Harold Pollack attributes it to: escalating gang conflict as a consequence of police crackdowns and shifting gang territory, outdated law enforcement practices, and access to guns.

May 2, 2013 at 3:13 p.m.
mtngrl said...

Intelligent Christians do exist

Just rare to see on this forum.

Here is a good article written by an Intelligent Christian - good reading for many here...

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/church/why-dont-christians-play-nice

May 2, 2013 at 3:15 p.m.
Easy123 said...

chatt_man,

"thinkprogress.... I'm impressed,"

chatt_man's opinon... I'm impressed.

"I don't even have to read it, I'm sure it says Indiana is really close and has too lax gun control. My brother lives in chicago..."

I'm glad you stand firm in your ignorance. Makes it much easier on me.

"He told me he was dying to get out. I told him to go downtown more often and he may get his wish."

Only about 4% (~20 people) of the homicide victims in Chicago are white. That means a black Chicagoan is 20 times more likely to be a murder victim than a white Chicagoan. I bet your "brother" will be just fine.

May 2, 2013 at 3:17 p.m.
MickeyRat said...

JonRoss meowed:

"Progressive/Obamist women do in fact have testicles."

And that's somthing you ain't got. You effing pussy.

May 2, 2013 at 3:25 p.m.
Easy123 said...

JonRoss,

You've been flagged for being JonRoss.

May 2, 2013 at 3:25 p.m.
Easy123 said...

JonRoss,

"So mickerat is using “pussy” as a pejorative. Why do hate women ?"

You don't realize that "pussy" means "cat". Notice MickeyRat said "meowed". You took the word to mean the slang for "vagina", thus, you're the one that is guilty of the offense you have alleged against MickeyRat.

Why is your mind in the gutter?

That's what is commonly known as "turning the tables".

May 2, 2013 at 3:35 p.m.
mtngrl said...

JR, please go back and read my post, and the link, then explain in detail how that is in any way anti-Christian or bigoted.

Please note that site is a Christian site written by Christians for Christians. Are they anti-Christian bigots?

May 2, 2013 at 3:40 p.m.
MickeyRat said...

JonRoss meowed again:

Intelligent Homosexuals do exist.

True, except for the one named JonRoss. Who, through Freudian admission lacks both balls & intelligence.

Ugh, Jon want know; "Why do hate women ?".

Errg - Mickrat tont toe what mean.

Keep digging JohnRoss, your penchant for dark holes is evident. And you DO like to dig there. Smelly smelly smelly hater homo kitty.

May 2, 2013 at 3:48 p.m.
timbo said...

The cartoon actually depicts Justitia, the Roman goddess of Justice, who is equivalent to the Greek goddess Dike. Lady liberty was a French design just for the Statue of Liberty. They are similar but Lady Justice has the sword, scales and blindfold.

The cartoon depicts both Lady Justice and a Muslim detainee. It is obvious to me that Bennett is saying that the Muslims are getting screwed by our justice system, which Lady Justice represents.

Also, the picture that Easy posted of Gitmo detainees looks a lot like the cartoon. You're right, the conservatives notice the Muslim and the liberals noticed Lady Justice. Interesting psychological response.

May 2, 2013 at 3:58 p.m.
dao1980 said...

Haha! That's funny stuff MickeyRat.

JR is a bonafide slack-jaw goat-snugglin' cousin kisser fer sure.

And he aint too shmart either. Ha, I can't believe ol' JR hasn't just left the forum in utter embarrassment by now... I guess his track record of quitting before he's too far behind is a good example of what's wrong with him.

Something about a rossvegas asbestos scam debacle thingy??

He probably comes from a very.. VERY minute gene pool.

May 2, 2013 at 4:04 p.m.
Easy123 said...

timbo,

"The cartoon depicts both Lady Justice and a Muslim detainee."

It depicts Lady Justice AS a Gitmo detainee. There is nothing in the cartoon that would lead anyone to assume "Muslim". Gitmo detainees are typically Muslims, however, Lady Justice isn't a Muslim.

"It is obvious to me that Bennett is saying that the Muslims are getting screwed by our justice system, which Lady Justice represents."

Again, what does "Muslim" have to do with it? The detainee's are getting screwed by the lack of justice. The cartoon is depicting the maltreatment and abuse of justice in and because of Gitmo.

"You're right, the conservatives notice the Muslim and the liberals noticed Lady Justice. Interesting psychological response."

There is nothing "Muslim" in that cartoon so it is very interesting that some of you can see something that isn't there.

May 2, 2013 at 4:12 p.m.
MickeyRat said...

Ah, but when that "slack-jaw goat-snugglin' cousin kisser" returns Dao1980, it'll be a lot like this:

May 2, 2013 at 4:13 p.m.
Easy123 said...

JonRoss,

You aren't a piece of fecal matter. You are every piece of fecal matter from the beginning of time until the end. You are the sum total of all excrement personified. You are a loathsome, hollow- hearted mound of bile and puss masquerading as a human being. You are an emotionally tone-deaf, abominable travesty whose every post is as rotten as it is disingenuous and whose every thought is as insipid as it is deplorable. If there is one molecule of human decency in your entire body, I feel extreme pity for it.

Your pathological aversion to honesty and integrity is pitiable and verging on schizophrenic. It is beyond all human reason that someone could be as reprehensible, opprobrious and patently mendacious as you have shown yourself to be.

May 2, 2013 at 4:57 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

About half the staff of the L.A. Times say they will quit if Koch bros. buy the paper. I would get that in writing

May 2, 2013 at 4:57 p.m.
dao1980 said...

You were right Mickey, he sure made a complete mess of that attempt to communicate.. across a fumbling three-post squirt.

He is indeed a "grumpy fella". Bless his heart, I bet JR's best snugglin' goat has gone and left him for greener pastures.

Ooooh! Easy the language in your post almost made me swoon!... Where's that hero aae to rush in and flag it to save the day! aaaahahahaha.

Ok ok, I've been a jackass enough for one day. You guys are hilarious. Good stuff indeed.

May 2, 2013 at 5:02 p.m.
dao1980 said...

:( awww JR, feels bullied.... AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! What a dern worthless looser-arse fool.

Ok, I mean it this time. I'm done. Ya'll take care now, y'hear!

May 2, 2013 at 5:09 p.m.
Easy123 said...

"What a dern worthless looser-arse fool."

That is the finest and most exquisite use of sarcasm and Southern dialect that I believe I have ever perused in all my years.

May 2, 2013 at 5:17 p.m.
patriot1 said...

The video is a little dated....some of the characters have already joined their 72 virgins....but it's still open, just under new management (Obama's)

May 2, 2013 at 5:27 p.m.
limric said...

GASP -- WELL I NEVER!! He he he.

I gotta admit Patriot 1, that's pretty a good one. Is that a parody from the Rush Limbaugh show? It sounds like the same announcer. No biggie, just curious.

May 2, 2013 at 6:40 p.m.
patriot1 said...

lim...yeap, I think you're right about the source.

May 2, 2013 at 6:49 p.m.
alprova said...

DAO1980 wrote: "I guess his track record of quitting before he's too far behind is a good example of what's wrong with him."

"Something about a rossvegas asbestos scam debacle thingy??"

That's who JonRoss is? OMG. It all makes sense now. I came very close to entering into a deal with him several years back. A quick background investigation nipped that in the bud, but quick.

May 2, 2013 at 7:46 p.m.
chatt_man said...

Are you all sure this isn't just somebody that's tired of living in Obama's economy after they lost their job, resorted to dealing drugs, and is now tired of that, so they threw down their drug scales? He tried the "hear no Obama, see no Obama, speak no Obama" route, and now they are contemplating suicide?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/health/suicide-rate-rises-sharply-in-us.html?_r=0

May 2, 2013 at 8:35 p.m.
Maximus said...

Wow! Unbelievable! An awesome day and you losers spend it responding to Clay's doodle about how unjust Gitmo is. Oh I definitely get the scales of justice thing. I mean really! You have to be really searching hard for a reason to be angry and miserable to adopt the cause of the scumbags currently being detained at Gitmo. Here is a little research from that well known little newspaper that I love....wait for it you liberals....ha..ha.."The Wall Street Journal". Thursday, May 2, 2013, Review and Outlook, "Obama's Guantanamo Contortions", Page A14, "In particular, the anti-antiterror liberals want to eliminate any distinction between the laws of war and the laws of civilian justice. That includes eliminating executive branch powers to designate people who violate the laws of war as enemy combatants and establish military tribunals, or to hold them as long as hostilities continue. Mr. Obama indulged that goal as a candidate, but as President he has adopted nearly all of President Bush's laws-of-war paradigm in practice. The reason his Gitmo policy is so confused and disingenuous is that he still wants to appease his left flank rhetorically." I of course agree with the WSJ assessment and feel that Gitmo needs to remain open, we will probably need to build an addition very soon. Finally, what is the big deal about holding female radical Islamic terrorists at Gitmo? Baby, you do the crime, you do the time!

May 2, 2013 at 9:04 p.m.
Leaf said...

Easy, I agree with your assessment of JonRoss's character, but I would like to add. . .

You're a tend-day-old banana with a greasy black peeeeeel Mr. Grinch! I wouldn't touch you with a . . . 29 1/2 foot poooooooooooole!

May 2, 2013 at 9:17 p.m.
Maximus said...

EAsy you must be a girl because what real man would ever quote Rachel Maddow! LOL!!!!

May 2, 2013 at 11:35 p.m.
alprova said...

JonRoss, no one is asking anyone to worship the President. A little respect would be nice however. I guess that is a little too much to ask of some people.

Whatever your particular gripes about the man may be, no matter what you type, no matter how erroneous it may be, no matter your opinions, he will forever be known as a United States President.

He will have a very nice, respectful biography in every history book written in the future, long after anyone in this forum vilifying him today is food for worms.

And you?...you will always be known in many circles as a bankrupt con-man with a popular adult beverage for a last name, but not spelled the same, (cue Michael Duncan R.I.P.) who attempted to take on a Mayor and a Police Department.

You've got a lot of nerve calling anyone else a "bottom-feeder."

May 2, 2013 at 11:52 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Maxipaddles,

I didn't quote Rachel Maddow. I provided a link to two videos.

Your lack of basic reading comprehension is quite laughable. That along with the sexist implications of your statement serve to discredit you and prove that the only woman you have ever kissed was your mother. Yet, even she made sure to use mouthwash afterwards.

I would offer some type of insulting remark here considering who you are, but it truly doesn't matter anymore. You are as bogus as your Vanderbilt education and nothing you say is worth the Downy Ultra Soft you wipe your maladapted gluteus "Maximus" with.

Enjoy masturbating to pictures of Ann Coulter in your shanty, you scum-sucking, cretinous cockalorum.

May 2, 2013 at 11:57 p.m.
alprova said...

Oh boy...I learned a new word today. Thank you Easy!!

Cockalorum - a boastful and self-important person...

Ya' never know what you're gonna read here next...

May 3, 2013 at 12:07 a.m.
Maximus said...

You two definitely do not have much formal education, most likely public schools, spending your entire day waxing poetic support of the Gitmo detainees. Easy, some of your stuff is kind of funny. You should look into becoming a writer for one of the many anti-American liberal comedians like our President. And Easy, "sexist implications" of Rachel Maddow? The fact that you even watch Rachel Maddow makes me uneasy on Easy123. I know, duh, it was a link, not a quote. Alprova...you should be proud of me. I did my research. The Wall Street Journal an outstanding publication. I do believe the TFP is owned by the New York Times and provides some insight as to how Clay got a job posting his lefty, lib doodles there. Gotta go catch a plan, have fun spending your day commenting on a cartoon. A great contribution to the economy and mankind. LOL losers. GO DORES!

May 3, 2013 at 5:27 a.m.
degage said...

You know Al, your right the office of the president should be respected, but I find it is a double standard on this forum. There was little or no respect during Bush before or after . You believe because we don't like his agenda we are terrible, yet most of you want to blame everything on Bush and give Obama a pass. Obama blames everything on Bush or the republicans, he takes no responsibility for any of his decisions.

Obama is either campaigning or fund raising or golfing. When he said he knew nothing about the men that wanted to come forward about Libya but couldn't because they were being threatened, told me he is out of the loop. The administration has refused to release the names of the survivor's and at least three are wanting to come forward and have hired lawyers. Carney says that was a long time ago, guess they want us to forget about Libya.

May 3, 2013 at 6:15 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

degage, did this forum exist while Bush was in office?

Obama, Clinton and Carter took far fewer days off than Reagan, Bush I and Bush II. Fact. Not just slightly less. Orders of magnitude less. It gets old hearing people complain about Obama's "vacations" as if he is doing anything different (of course, he is: taking LESS time off than Bush)

US Consulates and Embassies were attacked some 7 or 8 times during Bush's regime. Resulting in deaths of Americans. Suddenly Libya is a big deal. Why? Again, why the double standard? As far as the "whistle-blower" being threatened, I call BS. I have yet to see any information that indicates that this is unusual or unprecedented.

May 3, 2013 at 7:09 a.m.
degage said...

Ike, I said nothing about vacations. I see that you call a double standard on conservative and we call a double standard on liberals. We will never agree on this subject. Libya is a big deal because of the way it was handled. Just like you believing what Bush did was mishandled. I agree that we both have the right to disagree with the others opinion, that doesn't make either of us bad.

The whistle-blowers have hired lawyers, I don't expect anyone that only watches MSM or checks out liberal blogs to know anything about this. Obama says they can come forward but he doesn't say there will be no backlash on the guys. They say they have been threatened, so they are liars?

May 3, 2013 at 7:50 a.m.
alprova said...

degage wrote: "You know Al, your right the office of the president should be respected, but I find it is a double standard on this forum. There was little or no respect during Bush before or after ."

Not by me. My criticism of GWB starts and ends with his tax cuts for the rich at a time of war, and rushing to war into sovereign nations that did not attack this nation.

I have always done my level best to refer to GWB respectfully.

After all that has been spent, after all the casualties, we are no safer from terrorism than we were ten years ago. It's not a matter of if, but when we will be attacked again.

"You believe because we don't like his agenda we are terrible, yet most of you want to blame everything on Bush and give Obama a pass."

Look...you are one the more reasonable people in here. You have to see a heightened sense of disrespect, that goes much farther than simple disagreements of "agendas," whatever that might encompass.

"Obama blames everything on Bush or the republicans, he takes no responsibility for any of his decisions."

From the moment he was elected the first time, there are many Republicans who have made it their quest in life to put the man out of office. There have been several issues and ideas that were first touted by Republicans, who, the minute that Obama or the Democrats adopt them, have done a complete 180 degree turn on them.

"Obama is either campaigning or fund raising or golfing."

That claim has been debunked so many times, that it does not need to be debunked again.

"When he said he knew nothing about the men that wanted to come forward about Libya but couldn't because they were being threatened, told me he is out of the loop."

Benghazi will never go anywhere. There is nothing more to discover. Any and all accusations are meant to thwart Hillary Clinton's candidacy for 2016. Washington Republicans are totally desperate and this incessant pounding on what or what did not happen in Benghazi is fast becoming ridiculous.

(cont.)

May 3, 2013 at 7:55 a.m.
alprova said...

(cont.)

"The administration has refused to release the names of the survivor's and at least three are wanting to come forward and have hired lawyers. Carney says that was a long time ago, guess they want us to forget about Libya."

Those accusations come straight from Darrell Issa and have been echoed by other anti-Obama Republicans. Not a shred of proof has surfaced to back up those accusations.

Are the names of embassy or diplomatic employees a state secret. Maybe they are. I find it more plausible that the names are being withheld at their own request.

Do you truly think that if there were people who had all this explosive information about what went down in Benghazi six months ago, and they wanted to share it with the world, that they would not have come forward by now?

Darrell Issa is leading the charge on Benghazi and he is all over the map in terms of outrageous claims. He has produced not one shred of evidence to prove anyone within the Obama Administration dropped the ball. It's a modern day McCarthy style, political witch hunt and nothing more.

No offense, but I have never in my life seen so much gullibility on the part of otherwise reasonable people, to believe every conspiracy theory actively being purported, alleging that a virtual unknown man a decade ago, has attained all this power to have every Republican walking on eggshells.

May 3, 2013 at 7:55 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

You mentioned golfing. I doubt Obama does any more or less fundraising or campaigning than his predecessors. As for the alleged whistleblower, all I found was a lawyer statement and a video on Fox. Still waiting for more info, but until I see that Libya is different from any other attack, I refuse to get all excited about this one. Probably because for the last 5 years there have been claim after claim about Obama that was false and yet beat to death.

Criticize Obama. That's great. But let's be sure we are using real mistakes, real shortcomings, rather than shady, vague conspiracy theories. If there is something about Libya that is valid, someone will ferret it out. After all, these are the same forces that beat the birther issue to death, the same forces that criticize Obama for things that Congress has done, for things that every President does (like appointing czars) criticized Obama for putting forth legislation that originated with the conservatives (like the individual mandate in Obamacare), opposed background checks for only one reason-to avoid looking like they are cooperating with Obama (an admission by a GOP member) The credibility of those who have tried everything to discredit this president has long been shot.

Every day conservative friends and family post on their Facebook pages ridiculous claims about Obama. I try not to respond (I don't post political stuff) but it has gotten so silly. It's not like Obama hasn't done things that deserve legit criticism. But that is not what they are after. It is all conspiracy crap and double standards, stuff that every president does but somehow Obama is wrong for doing.

I don't expect anyone that only watches MSM or checks out liberal blogs to know anything about this

Anyone who only watches Fox and conservative blogs is just as misinformed.

May 3, 2013 at 8:06 a.m.
alprova said...

degage wrote: "I see that you call a double standard on conservative and we call a double standard on liberals."

It really depends on what the subject being discussed at any given moment, as to how true your statement is.

13 times while GWB was in office, U.S. consulates were attacked. Upwards of 100 deaths were recorded. I'm rather confident that some of those were Americans, but exact and detailed information is scarce.

Where was the outrage by either side of the aisle, or by any one of us regarding those attacks? Who dropped the ball when those occurred? Where were the forces to rush in and save the day then?

"Libya is a big deal because of the way it was handled."

I'm sure that you, like some other people, would like to believe that John Rambo could have been dropped in from a helicopter within minutes, whipped out an assault rifle, killed the terrorists and saved the lives of every American who was there.

Real life is far different from that of Hollywood.

The worst case scenario is that the military leaders who were near and calling the shots, hesitated BECAUSE they needed time to assess the situation to not send in troops to a certain death.

After all, it is for certain that there were armed security forces in place at the compost, but they were overwhelmed early on and because they were, real-time information had to be lacking.

"The whistle-blowers have hired lawyers, I don't expect anyone that only watches MSM or checks out liberal blogs to know anything about this."

All there is are accusations of whistle-blowers. Until one of them actually materializes, I believe nothing. No one has been threatened. There is no cover-up. It's all Republican B.S.

"Obama says they can come forward but he doesn't say there will be no backlash on the guys. They say they have been threatened, so they are liars"

Darrell Issa has said that no death threats have been issued. He claims that their jobs have been threatened. Who in their right mind would be "afraid" to come forward, if they have crucial information, if as Issa has stated, that might cost them their jobs?

No one is that job scared.

I'm truly amazed that people are buying into this crap, six months after the fact.

May 3, 2013 at 8:29 a.m.
patriot1 said...

What's with attacking MSNBC's Maddow? I realize he has a baby face and a large adam's apple....but that should be no reason to attack him.

May 3, 2013 at 8:35 a.m.
mountainlaurel said...

Good job, Clay Bennett.

Guantanamo is a constant reminder that we’re failing to practice the principles that we preach.

May 3, 2013 at 8:58 a.m.
degage said...

Ike, I agree, if a person only checks out conservative or liberal blogs they are misinformed. I admit when I go to liberal blogs I go with skepticism and most of the time I disagree with them but I do try to see the other side of the coin. Sometimes I wonder how they come up with some of this stuff, then I know the liberals think the same of the conservative blogs IF they check them out.

May 3, 2013 at 9:03 a.m.
Leaf said...

I, too, find Rachal Maddow to be like the liberal counterpart to Rush Limbaugh. She's too partisan and quick with the conspiracy theories.

Most liberals can think for themselves, they don't have to ditto a bloviator.

May 3, 2013 at 9:06 a.m.
Leaf said...

Maximus! How's it going, you sweaty old viagra-popping whoremonger! Did you make lots of $$$$$$ yesterday?

May 3, 2013 at 9:12 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

I usually steer clear of all political blogs (like science ones though, if the blogger is reputable) and I try to check multiple news sources such as Economist, WaPo, NYT, and WSJ if something that comes up looks fishy. CNN is now useless, Fox's main website seems to be hung up on popular culture but you can get some good science news on it. I try to stick with National columnists like George Will, Leonard Pitts, Cal Thomas, Krauthammer, Robinson and Sargent. I stay away from the usual talking heads and I no longer read the crazy ones unless I want to be entertained (Beck is a real loony)

May 3, 2013 at 9:15 a.m.
alprova said...

degage, have you truly looked into the Attorney purporting to represent these alleged whistle-blowers?

Victoria Toensing is a "Professional Republican," and is well known for her dedication to doing anything and everything to tear down Democrats and defending Republicans.

She and her husband have a very well established record of making wild accusations, and never delivering the goods.

May 3, 2013 at 9:17 a.m.
mountainlaurel said...

Maximus says: “You have to be really searching hard for a reason to be angry and miserable to adopt the cause of the scumbags currently being detained at Gitmo.”

Your attitude is shameful, Maximus. In fact, it stinks.

There are 166 prisoners currently being held in the Guantanamo prison.

Our own military and security services have unanimously determined that 86 of the individuals being held in Guantanamo should be released.

May 3, 2013 at 9:17 a.m.
degage said...

laurel, So why don't they release them and see what they do when they are released? If they are harmless we will find out soon enough. Obama's call.

May 3, 2013 at 9:23 a.m.
jesse said...

They need to close Gitmo and transport all the inmates to the mid-east! Within 12 months 75% would be shot dead in the mtns. of Afghanistan and the prob.would be solved!

May 3, 2013 at 9:29 a.m.
Leaf said...

You know, I think this is one of the best political cartoons I've seen.

May 3, 2013 at 9:33 a.m.
degage said...

Al, so if they are republicans they are not credible? Why don't we wait and see if they get the go ahead from the state department. Until they went public they were stonewalled, so they say.

And if you want tit for tat, Obama is dedicated to doing anything and everything to tear down republicans and conservatives. Notice I said republicans and conservative's because there is many republicans that are not conservative.

May 3, 2013 at 9:34 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

Obama is dedicated to doing anything and everything to tear down republicans and conservatives

Curious. What is your evidence for this?

Al, so if they are republicans they are not credible?

It is not because they are republicans. It is because of their history.

May 3, 2013 at 9:51 a.m.
alprova said...

degage wrote: "Al, so if they are republicans they are not credible?"

There are many fine and credible Republicans and I vote for them every single time. There are many who demonstrate not an ounce of credibility too.

"Why don't we wait and see if they get the go ahead from the state department. Until they went public they were stonewalled, so they say."

Hey...I'm all for waiting to see what transpires. You seem all too eager to believe the conspiracy theories regarding Benghazi. You're not alone.

But I am very willing to bet that when the dust settles, if it ever does, not one head will roll nor will there be one person to come forward that will blow the lid off of Benghazi.

It is a very sad thing that four people died. Whether or not it could have been prevented is quite evident at this time, but Ambassador Chris Stevens himself, disregarded some wise advice and arrived in a full procession, which in part, led to his own death.

No one wants to say that, because he clearly did not deserve to die, but you'd have thought that he would have heeded the warnings and his own fears and slipped in in very quietly, or postponed his arrival on a 9/11 anniversary.

"And if you want tit for tat, Obama is dedicated to doing anything and everything to tear down republicans and conservatives."

Based on what actions or words?

"Notice I said republicans and conservative's because there is many republicans that are not conservative."

You say that, but I really can't think of one Liberal Republican.

Can you?

May 3, 2013 at 10:03 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

You say that, but I really can't think of one Liberal Republican.

They once existed, but the religious right's takeover of the GOP forced them out.

May 3, 2013 at 10:20 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

Another fumble by Fox News. Weren't we just talking about this?

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/05/03/fox-falsely-claims-obama-administration-leading/193886

May 3, 2013 at 10:49 a.m.
mountainlaurel said...

Degage says: "So why don't they release them and see what they do when they are released? . . . Obama's call.”

I guess you forgot some of those obstacles and/or restrictions that the U.S. Congress set up in regard to the transfer of detainees from Guantanamo Bay.

Jesse says: “They need to close Gitmo and transport all the inmates to the mid-east! Within 12 months 75% would be shot dead in the mtns. of Afghanistan and the prob.would be solved!”

Jesse, this is just a suggestion, but if your goal is to become one of the all knowing class, you should really consider reviewing some of the known facts before you make one of your predictions. This way your prediction will at least in the ballpark so to speak. In this case, the director of national intelligence has said about 16 percent of the 600 people released over the past 12 years have engaged in terrorism after their release. Other independent analyses like the New America Foundation have indicated that the number is more like 6 percent. Either way it’s clear that the majority of people released from Guantanamo have not engaged in terrorism.

May 3, 2013 at 11:01 a.m.
jesse said...

ML!! Thats the 16% the numb nuts in D.C. know about!!

If you believe all the hype comming outta govmt.then go for it!

I don't believe nothing they say no mo!Nam cured me of that shat!

The fact is there are NO KNOWN facts!!

May 3, 2013 at 11:13 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

4 worst places in world for freedom of religion: Nigeria, Egypt, SaudiArabia, TFP forum.

May 3, 2013 at 11:27 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

4 worst places in world for freedom of religion: Nigeria, Egypt, SaudiArabia, TFP forum

Just where is anyone suggesting that your religious freedom be taken away?

May 3, 2013 at 11:30 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

crickets chirping

Yeah, that's what I thought. If you had any credibility here, it's gone now.

May 3, 2013 at 11:44 a.m.
jesse said...

Ike??

If you know where that came from let me know! I went back and LOOKED and still don't know!!

May 3, 2013 at 11:50 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

I'm not sure what you are referring to, jesse.

May 3, 2013 at 11:54 a.m.
mountainlaurel said...

Jesse says: “ML!! Thats the 16% the numb nuts in D.C. know about!!”

I believe your thinking is really muddled here, Jesse. You continue to ignore the reality that some of the prisoners in Guantanamo Bay are are not guilty of any crime.

Indeed, I wonder how you would feel if we applied your way of thinking to resolve some of the other important issues that have been in the news recently - like the gun issue?

For example, we know without a doubt that X number of people who purchase guns will use those same guns to either commit a crime or unlawfully kill someone.

Now, if we applied your way of thinking to this gun situation, we would just incarcerate all gun owners in order to prevent the crimes that only some gun owners will commit.

May 3, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.
jesse said...

Ike!

freedom of whatever!!

May 3, 2013 at 12:10 p.m.
patriot1 said...

Alpo says..."You say that, but I really can't think of one Liberal Republican.

Can you?"

Uh...alpo, does that include those who claim to be "registered republicans?"

May 3, 2013 at 12:14 p.m.
jesse said...

ML ! I seriously doubt that anyone is in Gitmo w/o serious evidence that they ain't been playin by the rules!

May 3, 2013 at 12:15 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

That was my point, jesse. I don't see anywhere on this forum where anyone is suggesting taking away freedom of religion. Or any other freedom for that matter.

May 3, 2013 at 12:17 p.m.
patriot1 said...

Meanwhile, back to the subject...........

May 3, 2013 at 12:29 p.m.
jesse said...

IKE!! I WAS ASKIN YOU WHERE P.T. CAME UP W?THAT!!

I could not find it so when i'm in doubt , I ASK IKE!!

May 3, 2013 at 12:30 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

4 worst places in world for expressing freedom of religion: Nigeria, Egypt, SaudiArabia, TFP forum. (without getting bashed)

May 3, 2013 at 12:33 p.m.
jesse said...

Pat1? You keep askin them HARD ?? of al you gonna piss him off and he gonna sic easy on your arz!!LOL!

May 3, 2013 at 12:35 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

Bashed for what, PT?

And bashing (which I doubt has happened) is not "taking away rights".

May 3, 2013 at 12:47 p.m.
Leaf said...

Oh, plaintruth probably isn't a robot. I stand corrected.

May 3, 2013 at 12:50 p.m.
Leaf said...

Right on, Jesse. Surely there is no way that someone would be arrested if they were innocent. Why, we could save a lot of money on things like courts and judges if we just blindly trusted the instincts of cops and 18 year old soldiers on the battlefield.

If Vietnam taught us nothing else, it taught us that no innocent civilians are ever targeted by US forces.

May 3, 2013 at 12:56 p.m.
mountainlaurel said...

Jesse says: "I seriously doubt that anyone is in Gitmo w/o serious evidence that they ain't been playin by the rules!

There you go again, Jesse. Pretending you're all knowing like God.

If there was any kind of serious evidence against these people, I seriously doubt that our military and security services would have unanimously determined and concluded that 86 of the individuals being held in Guatanamo should be released.

May 3, 2013 at 1:28 p.m.
degage said...

Ike, reported this morning, a young man won a track event but had it taken away because he made a religious sign. Wow! political correctness gone crazy. now a kid can't even cross himself or look up and mouth thank you. I say that is taking freedom away. This kind of thing happens often. I believe it is freedom of religion not from religion. Your religion is science and mine is faith, you have a right to your belief as I have one to mine without being told I can't practice wherever I please. If a youngster at school wants to bow his head at lunch in the cafeteria and silently say a prayer he or she should not get into trouble and they have. So in that case our freedom of religion is being infringed on.

May 3, 2013 at 1:54 p.m.
degage said...

I checked out what happened and the boy that ran the last leg of the relay and won lifted a finger to the sky and that is the reason the relay team was disqualified and lost. It was considered a religious gesture.

May 3, 2013 at 2:09 p.m.
Leaf said...

degage, link? Sounds fishy. No offense.

"Your religion is science"
Common misconception. Science, logic, atheism and agnosticism are not religions.

May 3, 2013 at 2:10 p.m.
degage said...

The coach was on TV this morning talking about it. Of course if you only watch MSNBC or like media you wouldn't have heard about it since they are all for suppressing such things. I know you don't want to believe these things happen , that is what happens if you have your head buried in the sand.

'Science, logic, atheism, and agnosticism are not religions.' Many of those people sure act like it is. They are fanatical about it.

May 3, 2013 at 2:25 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

PRO-LIFE HOLLYWOOD ACTORS SPEAK OUT IN HORROR AGAINST GOSNELL: ‘HAUNTED BY IMAGE OF BABIES’ SPINAL CORDS BEING CLIPPED’ (Pat Heaton, Ken Wahl)....they will never eat lunch in that town again.

May 3, 2013 at 2:33 p.m.
Leaf said...

The coach was on TV this morning? Don't know how I could have missed that.

I have yet to meet a fanatical agnostic. What would that be like? I'M REALLY ON THE FENCE ABOUT IT! I'M COMPLETELY CONVINCED THAT I DON'T REALLY KNOW!!! (that was my rendition of a fanatical agnostic.)

May 3, 2013 at 2:39 p.m.
anniebelle said...

And what t.v. show was this, must have been Faux news(sic). I don't even own a t.v. but I know b.s. when I hear it.

May 3, 2013 at 2:39 p.m.
Leaf said...

Anyway, if your level of fanaticism is what determines whether something is a religion or not, then there must be a lot of things that are religions. All sports, comic books, various TV shows, etc.

May 3, 2013 at 2:41 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

The Columbus High School Mighty Cardinals had won the 4x100-meter relay--by seven yards, no less--and had a shot at the state championship. That was until Junior sprinter Derrick Hayes pointed to the sky. Hayes's father, K.C., said that his son made a gesture of thanks to God, but raising a hand to the sky is considered excessive celebration according to the state scholastic rules. And with that, the team was disqualified....hey lefties. your plan is working.

May 3, 2013 at 2:42 p.m.
Leaf said...

And if lack of fanaticism means it's not a religion, then all those people who only go to church on Easter must not actually have a religion. I suppose they all must be scientists.

May 3, 2013 at 2:43 p.m.
timbo said...

nooga...typical comment. You fit the liberal profile. Insult first....

Why don't you try commenting on the subject?

May 3, 2013 at 2:43 p.m.
Leaf said...

So excessive celebration then? I figured if there was a grain of truth to the story that might be the culprit, or perhaps the wrong finger raised toward the sky.

Whether you agree with excessive celebration rules or not, they have nothing to do with religion. Unless, I suppose, you're really fanatical about them, in which case apparently they would be a religion.

May 3, 2013 at 2:47 p.m.
degage said...

So you believe raising a finger is excessive? That was only an excuse to punish. I am not the only one believing that. excessive, My A$$, these are kids that worked very hard and a finger raised is NOT excessive.

May 3, 2013 at 2:58 p.m.
Leaf said...

Again I say, whether you agree with excessive celebration rules or not, they have nothing to do with religion.

May 3, 2013 at 3:07 p.m.
chatt_man said...

degage, anyone that knows anything about sports knows that raising a finger to the sky is not excessive celebration. You see it not called all the time in sports that have excessive celebration rules. But, on here, you will have all the googling sleasy's stating that it is. That's just the way they are...

Leaf's just wrong, this call had everything to do with religion.

Hey non-credible Leaf... where's the oil?

May 3, 2013 at 3:35 p.m.
magenta said...

nooga, Congress has been blocking the president's every effort to close Gitmo. See: December 2010 article in Washington Times

May 3, 2013 at 4:28 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/top-news/Relay-Track-Team-DQed-For-Pointing-Finger-Toward-Sky-205964231.html

Not for religious gesture, but for any gesture. Athletic policy. Have a problem with it? Bring that up with the Texas Secondary School Athletics.

Ike, reported this morning, a young man won a track event but had it taken away because he made a religious sign. Wow! political correctness gone crazy. now a kid can't even cross himself or look up and mouth thank you.

See article linked above. Try looking at something other than Fox.

I say that is taking freedom away.

Except that it isn't religious gestures. It's ALL gestures.

This kind of thing happens often.

Evidence?

I believe it is freedom of religion not from religion.

So what does freedom of religion look like if you cannot choose to NOT have a religion? Who checks? Is there a list of "approved" religions? What happens to me if I choose not to have a religion? Do I go to jail? Pay a fine? You see how crazy it is to try and distinguish here?

Your religion is science and mine is faith

You need to take courses on comparative religion. Science is not a religion. Faith isn't either. I suspect you are some flavor of Christian.

you have a right to your belief...

But you just said...never mind.

as I have one to mine without being told I can't practice wherever I please.

You can.

If a youngster at school wants to bow his head at lunch in the cafeteria and silently say a prayer

They can

he or she should not get into trouble and they have.

Hasn't happened

So in that case our freedom of religion is being infringed on.

You are wrong. No churches are padlocked shut, no one goes to jail for believing. Your rights to your religion do not include having it taught in tax supported public school.

I am surprised, degage. You seem way behind on this debate. These types of arguments have been addressed long ago.

May 3, 2013 at 4:38 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

Guantanamo houses some 166 prisoners with more than half having been cleared by the military for release. However being cleared by the military does not mean they want them released because a certain number will re-engage in terror activities. These were captured on the “battlefield” but that is not a punishable crime and like in past wars enemy combatants are held for the likelihood of re-engagement. It’s just that this is a different war and different release rules will need to apply for supposedly political expediency.

The Director of National Intelligence Claims that 16% of the 600 people released from the facility over the past 12 years are confirmed, and 11% are suspected, of having engaged in terrorist activity after their release. I saw where someone else posted this information but left out the 11% suspected and for what reason I can only guess. Can’t you?

Of the 166 men held:

A - 6 face charges by military commissions -- (5 for 9-11 and 1 for the USS Cole attack in 2000)

B- 3 have been convicted by military commissions

C - 100 are on a hunger strike

D - 21 are currently being tube fed (Which is being strapped in a restraint chair with a lubricated plastic tube inserted in their nose and into the stomach. They are restrained for 2 hours to make sure the liquid digested.)

E - 86 have been cleared for release

F - 56 of the 86 are from Yemen but an Obama administration moratorium on transferring detainees to that country has killed any hope of their leaving Guantanamo. Obama imposed a moratorium on returns to Yemen after Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab who was trained in Yemen tried to blow up a Detroit-bound plane with explosives hidden in his underwear on Christmas Day 2009.

G - 46 of the remaining 80 have been designated for continued detention by the Obama administration. They have been deemed too dangerous to release even though the administration did not have enough evidence against them to prosecute or their acts did not amount to a crime.

Obama has signed an executive order that was intended to set up a Periodic Review Board and it was to be in operation over a year ago. The board was supposed to be a mechanism for the detainees to challenge the above designation. However the board has not yet been created by the administration.

H - 31 have been slated for prosecution

I - 3 are serving sentences following convictions in military commission proceedings.

In 2011 and again in 2012 Congress enacted some restrictions on the transfer of detainees but the restrictions are hardly an absolute block to transfer. They require receiving countries to ensure that those being transferred do not engage in terrorist activity and that the Secretary of Defense certify those countries are in compliance. However if he can’t certify those steps have been taken he can still approve the countries due to "alternative actions" (whatever that means).

May 3, 2013 at 5:11 p.m.
anniebelle said...

sounds like patriot is envious of Rachel Maddow because she has three things he doesn't: Rhodes Scholar, an adams apple and cajones, all of which he will never have.

May 3, 2013 at 5:19 p.m.
mountainlaurel said...

Nooga says: “Gitmo should have been closed as Obama promised, force feeding prisoners that are on a hunger strike is as in humane as the treatment they have been receiving, IMO.”

There are lots of things about this situation that are unsettling from my perspective. I can certainly understand that wrong things can and do occur when there is war and chaos, but it has been ten years and this ugly quagmire that our lawmakers have created needs to be resolved. Clearly, it should have been resolved a long time ago.

Congress needs to lift the restrictions on the transfer of those 86 prisoners that our military and security services have cleared and if the others have not already been tried/convicted, President Obama should prosecute them in Federal Court. I also think the Supreme Court needs to define the scope of war-time detention. We don't need any more quagmires.

May 3, 2013 at 5:42 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

Easy123 said...

The 55 prisoners that have been prevented from being released, transferred, or resettled should be allowed to.


What 55 prisoners are you referring to?


Congress has voted to prevent these prisoners from being released.


No they have not.


President Obama has been stonewalled by Congress numerous times in his attempts to shut down Gitmo.


It appears to me that Obama has made no serious attempt to do so and every time the subject becomes hot again he first points the finger at everybody else and then claims he is serious about forcing “them” to do better in the future.

May 3, 2013 at 6:18 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

magenta said...

A nagging question: Are there, or have there been women held at Guatanamo? As recent as 2006 or 2007 a reporter claims to have seen a medical form prisoners had to fill out for medical attention left lying on a desk. What caught their eye was on the form they noted the individual was listed as pregnant. If true, was the woman already pregnant when she got there, or was she impregnated by one of the guards. And what became of the child if she was able to carry hiim or her to term?


What’s your point?

Are you hoping that an American raped a female prisoner or at least tricked her into having sex with him (or her???)? Maybe if a female prisoner was pregnant the guards forced her to have an abortion or just killed the baby by smashing its head on the cell walls? Just as well would be if they got it an infant size orange jump suit and hanged the wee terrorist from the ceiling by its arms?

Boy - O - Boy wouldn’t you have a barrel of fun with a story like that to beat America in the head with?

Keep dreaming as it just might be your lucky day.

May 3, 2013 at 6:28 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Jt6,

"What 55 prisoners are you referring to?"

The 55 prisoners that have been named to be transferred, released, or repatriated.

"Vincent Warren, Executive Director of the Center for Constitutional Rights stated the release, “Finally dispels the myth that the remaining detainees who are trapped at Guantánamo are too dangerous to be released.” But he added, “Most of the 55 men listed have endured 11 years of indefinite detention without charge or trial, despite the unanimous assessment of every responsible US national security agency that these men could be safely released or transferred. The government’s justification for hiding the identities of these men was always unconvincing, and their names should have been made public three years ago when the Guantanamo Review Task Force made its determinations.”

http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/09/21/veil-of-secrecy-partially-lifted-as-us-reveals-names-of-guantanamo-prisoners-cleared-for-release/

"No they have not."

Yes, they have.

http://www.webcitation.org/5jPWyaCDq

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11/30/senate-approves-measure-to-prevent-transfer-terrorist-detainees-to-us/

"It appears to me that Obama has made no serious attempt to do so and every time the subject becomes hot again he first points the finger at everybody else and then claims he is serious about forcing “them” to do better in the future."

It would only appear that way to someone that has no clue what they're talking about. President Obama has made 4 clear attempts to close Gitmo. Each time being blocked by Congress via the Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2009, the Department of Defense and Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011 and the 2011 Defense Authorization Bill.

There is no disputing those facts. I suggest you do some research before you attempt a rebuttal.

May 3, 2013 at 6:43 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

Lr103 said... LOL!! Fer shame! Fer shame on YEW, LEAF!!

Leaf said... Wish I could word real good like yew.

MickeyRat said... Errg - Mickrat tont toe what mean.

dao1980 said... a bonafide slack-jaw goat-snugglin' cousin kisser fer sure.

And he aint too shmart either. He probably comes from a very.. VERY minute gene pool.


Do you know what a “Pig Party” is?

It is when when vain and arrogant people that consider themselves to be very attractive physically invite someone that is considered physical ugly to a party so they can be mocked and shamed. Its a common trait among a certain segment of people that consider themselves not only more physically attractive but to be superior economically, socially, intellectually, educationally, physically, culturally, etc., etc.

People like that are obviously lacking in self esteem in one or more areas of their lives. What do you really think and feel about people that would act in that manner?

I know. I know. The fact that I point this out makes me just as guilty. Doesn’t it?

May 3, 2013 at 7:05 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

Easy

I think you’re quoting from an article that was publish in September of last year you may want to reference something more current.

Just saying

If you want to split hairs and classify moving the prisoners to continental U.S. based prisons as transferring them then you would be right that Congress did block that and it was bipartisan in nature. However if you will refer to my post I clearly was referencing transfer to other countries. Picking nits can be useful in a debate every now and then. Don’t you think so.

May 3, 2013 at 7:19 p.m.
mountainlaurel said...

Jt6gR3hM says: “The Director of National Intelligence Claims that 16% of the 600 people released from the facility over the past 12 years are confirmed, and 11% are suspected, of having engaged in terrorist activity after their release. I saw where someone else posted this information but left out the 11% suspected and for what reason I can only guess. Can’t you?”

Interesting, Jt6gR3hM. May I ask where you live? In America, we’re taught there is a big difference being proven guilty of a crime and being suspected of crime.

As to your fact sheet involving the 86 men who have been cleared for transfer and release by the U.S. military and security services, you may want to add that it has cost U.S. taxpayers approximately 69 million per year to incarcerate these men at Guantanamo.

If on the other hand these same 86 individuals had been incarcerated in a federal prison in the U.S., it would have cost the U.S. taxpayers approximately 3 million per year.

http://www.aclu.org/national-security/guantanamo-numbers

May 3, 2013 at 7:24 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

Lr103 said...

conservative said... Yikes! Mr. Bennett doesn't even give the terrorist a prayer rug

As if those holding them in bondage did?


If the guards didn’t give them a prayer rug that would be “about” the only material thing they didn’t give them.

May 3, 2013 at 7:26 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Jt6gR3hM,

"I think you’re quoting from an article that was publish in September of last year you may want to reference something more current."

There hasn't been another vote on it and those 55 named detainees are still in Gitmo. The date of the article has nothing to do with the facts.

"Just saying"

Who cares? You're brining up the date of the article because you cannot rebut anything contained within the article. It's a common deception tactic from your ilk.

"If you want to split hairs and classify moving the prisoners to continental U.S. based prisons as transferring them then you would be right that Congress did block that and it was bipartisan in nature."

There is no splitting hairs. What other word would you use to imply moving them to another facility, country, and/or release? Congress blocked releases as well in 2009 and 2011. And these weren't "transfers". Congress blocked funds required to close Gitmo and transfer, release and repatriate detainees.

"However if you will refer to my post I clearly was referencing transfer to other countries. Picking nits can be useful in a debate every now and then. Don’t you think so."

You're wrong either way. Congress has blocked transfers and releases since Barack Obama became President.

Again, you need to do more research.

May 3, 2013 at 7:47 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

Easy123 said...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/06/from_gitmo_to_the_battlefield.html

"The latest Pentagon "fact sheet" on "former GTMO detainee terrorist trends," states that 37 former Guantanamo detainees are "confirmed or suspected" of having returned to "terrorist activities" since their release. It puts the so-called recidivism rate at "between 5 and 7 percent." Even Obama, after saying he was going to close it down, understands that fact."

"The Pentagon fact sheet names 13 former GITMO prisoners whose participation in various types of terrorist activity has been "confirmed," in most cases because they have been killed or captured on something resembling a battlefield. There is no evidence that any of the 13 killed Americans."

"In addition to the "confirmed" terrorists, the Pentagon also cites a figure of 24 former detainees "suspected" of terrorist activity on the basis of "unverified or single-source, but plausible, reporting."

"It is also wildly inaccurate to claim, as some have done, that at least 30 former Guantanamo detainees have been "killed or captured" on the battlefield, fighting against U.S. forces... The Pentagon report lists one former detainee killed while fighting U.S. forces in Afghanistan and one killed by Afghan forces. Another former detainee blew himself up to avoid capture by Pakistani security forces."


Here you’re using 5 year old data and I really love the part about it being "The latest Pentagon "fact sheet".

Do you ever check the “Use by Date” on items you ingest? If you are careful about that as the data you use you need to be sure you have your health plan paid up.

May 3, 2013 at 7:48 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

Easy123 said...

Jt6gR3hM, - "I think you’re quoting from an article that was publish in September of last year you may want to reference something more current."

There hasn't been another vote on it and those detainees are still in Gitmo. The date of the article has nothing to do with the facts.


If you will remember I asked where you got the 55 number for the detainees and you referenced this article. The number is no longer 55 and you were relying on old data. As for some vote I never mentioned you’re on your own on that deal.

May 3, 2013 at 7:58 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Jt6,

"Here you’re using 5 year old data and I really love the part about it being "The latest Pentagon "fact sheet"."

It is the latest Pentagon fact sheet on former Gitmo prisoners returning to fight. The "age" of the data has nothing to do with the validity of it consider it is the LATEST Pentagon fact sheet on that particular topic.

"Do you ever check the “Use by Date” on items you ingest?"

There is no "Use by Date" on the information I provided. This is your deception tactic. You cannot rebut the information so you act as if it's outdated. It isn't. It's the only information we currently have.

"If you are careful about that as the data you use you need to be sure you have your health plan paid up."

Care to stick your other foot in your mouth now?

"The number is no longer 55 and you were relying on old data."

What number is no longer 55? 55 is the number of names released out of the 86 detainees that have been approved for release. There are 166 detainees in Gitmo if that gives you any perspective. The last prisoner departure from Gitmo occured on September 29, 2012 and that detainee was dead. The last live detainee departure occurred on April 18, 2012.

http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/wp-content/uploads/pdf/USLS-Fact-Sheet-Gitmo-Numbers.pdf

"As for some vote I never mentioned you’re on your own on that deal."

So you weren't referring to the Congressional vote to block the transfer?

May 3, 2013 at 8:09 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

Easy said ...

What other word would you use to imply moving them to another facility, country, and/or release?


You just used the present participle of the word.

Hint - Hit on #9 and in this instance it is a verb

May 3, 2013 at 8:16 p.m.
Easy123 said...

Jt6,

"You just used the present participle of the word."

I have no clue what particular word usage you're referring to.

May 3, 2013 at 8:24 p.m.
magenta said...

jt6gr3 said: "What’s your point? Are you hoping that an American raped a female prisoner or at least tricked her into having sex with him (or her???)? Maybe if a female prisoner was pregnant the guards forced her to have an abortion or just killed the baby by smashing its head on the cell walls? Just as well would be if they got it an infant size orange jump suit and hanged the wee terrorist from the ceiling by its arms? Boy - O - Boy wouldn’t you have a barrel of fun with a story like that to beat America in the head with? Keep dreaming as it just might be your lucky day

WOW!!! Someone has either sick fantasy, vivid imagination or has taken part in some pretty cruel, inhumane atrocities. btw jt--used any Iraqi heads for soccer balls lately? just wondering.

May 3, 2013 at 8:58 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

magenta said...

used any Iraqi heads for soccer balls lately?


That's exactly the type story you love to hear about so you can use it to denigrate you own country.Even though it was related by an Army Deserter in 2006 to gain asylum into Canada and provided not one bit of proof or details about this event. However you hang on to it all these years so you can slime your nation's institutions you disagree with.

Right?

May 3, 2013 at 10:55 p.m.
mountainlaurel said...

Jt6gR3hM said: "If the guards didn’t give them a prayer rug that would be “about” the only material thing they didn’t give them."

Please, Jt6gR3hM. . . You’re truly something else.

Over 200 FBI agents have reported abusive treatment of Guantanamo prisoners.

May 3, 2013 at 11:07 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

mountainlaurel said...

You’re truly something else.


Thank You


Over 200 FBI agents have reported abusive treatment of Guantanamo prisoners.


Please .... I said what about any abuse of detainees at Gitmo?

I specifically went out of my way to be explicit about referencing the provision of "material" items. However I needlessly wasted my time in that effort.

Didn't I?

May 3, 2013 at 11:40 p.m.
magenta said...

jt6gR3hM sorry bup. Pictures and video don't lie. Actually, the only people who denigrate their own country are the ones who are in denial or attempt to hide or cover up its wrongs and inhumane acts or attempt to excuse or justify them.

May 4, 2013 at 1:48 a.m.
please login to post a comment

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.