AT THE LIBRARY
The Chattanooga Public Library also will offer activities for children, teens and adults:
• At the Northgate Branch, 278 Northgate Mall Drive in Hixson, events are for teens only. Free comic books will be given away between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m., while supplies last, and “Captain America: The First Avenger” will be shown at 10:30 a.m.
• At the downtown branch, 1001 Broad St., free comic books will be given away at the Teen Center on the second floor while supplies last; the library opens at 9 a.m. At 2 p.m., “Iron Man 2” will be screened on the fourth floor.
Also downtown, Saturday storytime for children will be themed to Free Comic Book Day. Stories for all ages start at 2:30 p.m. on the second floor. Crafts suitable for ages 5-11 will start at 3 p.m. Crafts will include masks, mini comic strips and capes.
• Adult programming includes a double screening of films with ties to Alan Moore. He wrote the award-winning “Watchmen,” the only graphic novel to appear on Time Magazine’s 2005 list of All-Time Greatest Novels. The double feature begins with a screening of a 2005 documentary, “The Mindscape of Alan Moore,” at 1 p.m., to be followed by “Watchmen” at 2:30 p.m. in the downtown auditorium.
• Teens may RSVP for their events on the library’s Facebook page. Find out more at http://chattlibrary.org.
Fifty-three titles with characters ranging from Archies to zombies will be available for the 2013 edition of Free Comic Book Day on Saturday, May 4.
The annual event coincides with this weekend’s release of “Iron Man 3.”
Four Chattanooga-area shops are scheduled to participate in the giveaway, according to www.FreeComicBookDay.com.
• B&M Amusement Co., 5036-B Highway 58, 423-490-1162.
• Comic Hound, 6743 Ringgold Road, East Ridge, 423-892-8881.
• Epikos Comics, Cards & Games, 9408 Apison Pike, Ooltewah, 423-531-4184.
• Dicehead Games & Comics, 200 Paul Huff Parkway, Cleveland, Tenn., 423-473-7125.
The selected comic books will be free, although not all titles will be available at all stores, and store policies may vary on how many each visitor can receive.