* Fish Fry Fundraiser: Marcella Center for the Arts and Education, 117 Washington Road, Sweetwater, Tenn., 11 a.m.-2 p.m., $5 for fish sandwich with sides, 75 cents dessert, benefits programs of Marcella Center. 423-337-0075.
* Singles Sock Hop: First-Centenary United Methodist Church, Mohney Hall, 419 McCallie Ave., 6:30 p.m., $8 includes refreshments, '60s attire encouraged, sponsored by Positive Christian Singles. 423-756-2021.
* Flute Concert: Cadek Recital Hall, Oak Street on the campus of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, 7:30 p.m., free. Chattanooga Flute Society Choir, Cadek Flute Choir and Dexter Bell present free concert of music from the United Kingdom, Spain and West Indies. 413-4761.
* Bradley County Democratic Women: O'Charley's Restaurant at Bradley Square Mall, Cleveland, Tenn., noon, all Democratic women welcome. 423-336-8497.
* Chattanooga Writers Guild: Chattanooga Public Library, 1001 Broad St., 6:30 p.m., visitors welcome. Program by novelist and screenwriter J. Wachowski. email@example.com.
* Greater Chattanooga Democratic Women's Club: IBEW Hall Local 175, 3922 Volunteer Drive, 6 p.m., visitors welcome. Dr. Mary Headrick will speak on "Medicare Means Testing." 423-870-1848.
* Veterans Job Fair: Sonoraville Recreation Complex, 7494 Fairmount Highway, Calhoun, Ga., 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m., free. Georgia Vocational Rehabilitation Agency sponsors job and resource fair for veterans and active duty personnel with a release date no more than 60 days from the event. 404-232-1870.
* Trail of Tears Anniversary Service: New Echota Cherokee Capital State Historic Site, Highway 225, Calhoun, Ga., 2 p.m., free service, regular admission applies to museum. Memorial service observes 175th anniversary of Cherokee Trail of Tears with performances and talk by Jack Baker, president of the National Trail of Tears Association.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...