* Dixie Jewels Insulator Club Swap Meet: Dalton Freight Depot, 305 S. Depot St., Dalton, Ga., 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., free. Glass and porcelain insulators available for sale or trade with collectors from seven states; appraisals available for insulators brought to depot. Tours offered of The Crescent City, a Pullman train car being restored. 423-236-9248.
* Open house: Camp Discovery, 72 Old Mill Lane, Ringgold, Ga., 1-3 p.m., for parents of children ages 5-12. 706-937-5323
* Decoration Day: Johnston Cemetery, Old Johnson Valley Road, Meigs County, Tenn., 2 p.m., free, visitors welcome. firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Health fair: Nutrition World, 6201 Lee Highway, 2 p.m., free. "Meet the Practitioner: New Technologies and Solutions for Health" offers chance to meet holistic health practitioners and check out their therapies and products. 706-459-0055.
* Walker County Historical Society: Meet at Marsh House parking lot, 308 N. Main St., LaFayette, Ga., to carpool to a mystery tour at one of the oldest homes in Walker County, 2:30 p.m., free to members, $10 nonmembers. 706-764-2801.
* Bradley County Democrats: Cleveland Public Library, 795 Church St., 6 p.m. Bradley County Democratic Women meet, 7 p.m. Bradley County Democratic Party meets. 423-336-8497.
* Get Healthy Project Wellness Center open house: 420 Bell Ave., 4 p.m., free and open to the public. Johnson Mental Health Center opens new center for individuals with severe and persistent mental illness and their families. Elizabeth-Miller@utc.edu.
* Hamilton County Republican Women: Morning Pointe of Hixson, 5501 Old Hixson Pike, 11:30 a.m., all Republican women welcome. Col. Wayne Rich, retired from the U.S. Marine Corps, will speak on his two tours in Iraq. Lunch reservations required: 266-6855.
* Walker County United Progressives: Triple Y Mexican Restaurant, 2078 N. Main St., LaFayette, Ga., 7 p.m., visitors welcome. Participants asked to bring their favorite political cartoon, program on Affordable Health Care Act. 706-764-2801.
* Horseshoe tournament: Marcella Center for the Arts and Education, 117 Washington Road, Sweetwater, Tenn., 9 a.m. registration, 10 a.m. tournament begins; play singles or doubles in annual fundraiser for center. 423-337-0075.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...