• Benefit concert: Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, 799 Inman St., Cleveland, Tenn., 5 p.m., donations accepted at gospel concert to help pay medical expenses of cancer patients Joy Wright and the late Rodney Wright. 423-544-3387.
• Humane Educational Society work day: Humane Educational Society, 212 N. Highland Park Ave., noon-4 p.m., volunteers needed to help paint, repair broken kennel doors, clear brush from fencing and other improvements. 423-624-5302.
• Catoosa County Historical Society: Old Stone Church, 41 Old Catoosa Parkway, Ringgold, Ga. 7 p.m., visitors welcome, the Moravians will be the topic of speaker John Hutcheson, a retired history professor from the former Dalton Junior College, door prize will be drawn, social hour and refreshments follow.
• Chattanooga Democratic Women's Club: IBEW Local 175 Union Hall, 3922 Volunteer Drive, 6 p.m., visitors welcome; members bring homemade soups for dinner followed by business and planning meeting. 423-870-1848.
• UTC Jazz Band Concert: University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Fine Arts Center, corner of Vine and Palmetto streets, 7:30 p.m., free. 423-425-4601.
• Chattanooga Music Teachers Association: Crutcher Pianos, 6223 Lee Highway, 9:30 a.m., free and visitors welcome. Program on chamber music by Bruce Ashton, daughter Ellen Francisco and grandson Nathan Francisco, "Pipes, Strings and Keys."
• Women's Leadership Talk: Lee University, School of Religion's Jones Lecture Hall, Cleveland, Tenn., 7 p.m., free, the Rev. Jo Anne Lyon, general superintendent of the Wesleyan Church, speaks on "Women in Executive Leadership." 423-478-1131.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...