University of Tennessee at Chattanooga sophomore Teghan Henderson finished third in the NCAA South Region cross country meet Friday at Tuscaloosa, Ala., and qualified for the national meet next Saturday at Terre Haute, Ind. Henderson led much of the 6-kilometer race, her longest of the season, and finished in 20 minutes, 0.42 second -- less than two seconds behind winner Colleen Quigley of Florida State (19:58.55). Florida's Cory McGee was second in 20:00.19. UTC's women were 14th as a team. The UTC men were 11th in the 10k, led by senior Lucas Cotter with an all-region 17th-place time of 30:35.21. Senior Mark Cole was 42nd and Mocs sophomore Paul Stuart was 55th. The Georgia men and Florida State women were the team winners.
• Former UTC golfer Steven Fox advanced through the second stage of the PGA Tour's Web.com Tour qualifying school. Fox, who won the U.S. Amateur in 2012, tied for fifth place after shooting a 12-under 276 in the four-round tournament that ended Friday at TPC Craig Ranch in McKinney, Texas. He earned limited status on the Web.com tour and advanced to the final stage, where he could earn full status. "I'm pretty stoked," Fox said by phone. "For this being my first year, it's nice getting through. It's a life-changer to have some status, and hopefully I'll get full status." Another former Moc, Jonathan Hodge, and former Hixson High golfer Paul Apyan placed outside the top 20 and did not advance. The final stage will be held Dec. 12-17 at PGA West in Quinta, Calif.
• Top-seeded Bryan College breezed past Reinhardt and No. 2 seed Union College by 3-0 scores Friday in Kingsport, Tenn., and won the Appalachian Athletic Conference volleyball tournament for the second year in a row. Kara Stamper had 15 kills and Chelsea Breaden and Meghan Lowry added nine and eight in the 25-13, 25-15, 25-19 semifinal against Reinhardt (17-9), when Taylor Fink had 30 set assists and Lowry had seven block assists. In the 25-20, 25-11, 25-11 final against Union (26-9), the Lady Lions (33-3) got 12 kills from Stamper, 11 from tournament MVP Carolyn Evans, eight from Breaden and 35 assists from Fink. Fink and Stamper joined Evans on the all-tournament team. Bryan will play in the NAIA national opening round next Saturday on a campus site. Pairings will be announced Monday.
• Despite 67 assists and 19 digs by Camil Martinez, 19 kills by Latrice Johnson and 16, 15 and 14 by Erin Hill, Paula Martins and Lauren Williams, Lee University lost 3-2 (14-25, 27-25, 25-21, 14-25, 15-21) in Gulf South volleyball Friday at Alabama-Huntsville. Sarah Davis had 26 digs and Martins and Johnson had 22 and 21 in the loss.
• Amanda Liguori had 17 kills as Wofford defeated UTC 3-0 (25-23, 25-17, 25-18) in Southern Conference volleyball Friday night at Maclellan Gym. Sarah Batterton led UTC (4-26, 3-12) with nine kills, Allie Davenport adding seven, while Anne Bachmann had 28 assists and Hannah Merkle and Catherine Chason made 15 and 10 digs. Wofford is 13-17, 7-8.
• Ish Sanders from Cleveland High School had game highs of 21 points and five steals and added five of Carson-Newman's 26 assists as the Eagles beat Barton College 97-69 in men's basketball Friday night in Jefferson City, Tenn. Sanders was only 3-of-12 on 3-point shots but hit eight of nine free throws.
• Reinhardt's junior varsity edged Georgia Northwestern 87-84 in men's basketball Thursday night in Waleska, Ga., despite LaDarius Watkins' 19 points and seven rebounds, Tavish Reynolds' 18 points and Hunter Ivester's 10 points and 11 rebounds for the Bobcats (2-2). The Lady Cats won 70-63 in Rome against Warren Wilson, which got 17 points and nine rebounds from Gordon Lee graduate Lil Bradley. Kiarra Parks had 19 points for GNTC (1-3).
• The annual local open mixed bowling tournament is being held this weekend and next weekend at Holiday Bowl Hixson, with Saturday squad times of 12:30 and 3 p.m. and Sunday times of 10 a.m., 12:30 and 3. Entry forms are available at chattanoogabowling.org and at the local centers.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress