Mike Cochran poses holding a photo Friday, Nov. 15, 2013, at his home in Haltom City, Texas, using a magnifying glass to highlight his face along with other reporters serving as pallbearers. On a gloomy November afternoon, I helped carry the inexpensive wooden casket of Lee Harvey Oswald to a grave on a slight rise dotted with dying grass.Photo by Associated Press /Chattanooga Times Free Press.
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- AFGHAN GATHERING OF ELDERS CONSIDERS U.S. SECURITY DEAL
Karzai presents Loya Jirga council with plan drafted with Washington this week.
- NORTH KOREA DETAINS CALIFORNIA VET
The 85-year-old veteran of the Korean War was prevented from leaving Pyongyang a month ago.
- FLORIDA CONGRESSMAN PLEADS GUILTY TO COCAINE CHARGE
Republican Rep. Henry "Trey" Radel is taking a leave of absence after receiving a sentence of a year's probation.
- IRAN SAYS NUCLEAR DEAL COULD HAPPEN THIS TIME AROUND IN GENEVA
Tehran is eyeing a reduction in banking and oil trade sanctions in exchange for some curbs on its uranium enrichment program.
- WARNING SIGNS AMONG NUCLEAR PERSONNEL
A draft study, obtained by the AP, cites "burnout" among Air Force launch officers with their fingers on the triggers of 450 weapons of mass destruction.
- HOW AN AP JOURNALIST BECAME AN OSWALD PALL BEARER
Reluctantly, the reporter, who was one of the few attending the assassin's funeral, helped in burying his casket.
- VIRGINIA PROBING TREATMENT OF LAWMAKER'S SUICIDAL SON
Citing a shortage of beds, state senator's son was released from a mental illness facility, a day before he stabbed his father and killed himself.
- ARGENTINE RABBI TELLS OF FRIENDSHIP WITH POPE FRANCIS
The pontiff hosted his Jewish friend in the Vatican and they email "every week."
- WHO WILL SHINE IN BRAZIL 2014 WORLD CUP
A panel of AP reporters and soccer experts predicts who will win the cup -- and who will be the surprise flop.
- WHY PARAMOUNT IS FIGHTING 'IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE' SEQUEL
The company owns the copyright to the holiday classic and plans to stop a follow-up movie currently in the making.