First- and second-round leader Maggie Scott of Charleston, Tenn., held off 2012 champion Jean Roise of Crossville to win her ninth Tennessee Women's Senior Amateur golf championship with a third-round 72 and a 54-hole total of 231 Wednesday at Ridgeway Country Club in Germantown. Roise shot a 71 to take second with a total score of 235. Lynda Wimberly of Brentwood, the 2012 runner-up was third at 239, and Chattanooga's Georgia McCravey finishe fourth at 241. Cleveland's Linda Mullins finished tied for seventh at 251, and Signal Mountain's Debbie Durham was four shots back at 255 for ninth place.
• Defending champion David Noll Jr. of Dalton is waiting today while nearly 100 other members of Georgia State Golf Association clubs play for 31 match-play spots in the 95th Atlanta Amateur Match Play Championship. This year's tournament runs through Sunday at Rivermont Golf and Country Club in Johns Creek, and Noll begins play Friday as the top seed after being exempt from the 18 holes of stroke-play qualifying. He went 19 holes to win the final match in 2012.
• The Lee University women's soccer team won 3-0 in a Gulf South Conference match Wednesday night at home against West Georgia. Leah Fortune opened the scoring with an unassisted goal in the 57th minute, and Summer Lanter added two more goals to clinch the victory. Fortune and Laura Thacker assisted on Lanter's goals, and Lady Flames goalkeeper Haley Gribler only had to make one save in the win.
• The Covenant College soccer teams were swept in a a home doubleheader Wednesday evening against Maryville College in a matchup of Scots. The Covenant men fell 2-1, and the women were shut out 3-0. Hudson Brock scored the Covenant goal in the men's match.
• Tennessee Wesleyan was swept its Appalachian Athletic Conference soccer doubleheader Wednesday at Montreat, losing 2-0 in the men's game and losing? 1-0 in the women's.
• The Chattanooga Cyclones K baseball team won the Southern Wood Bat Kennesaw State Classic last weekend with a 3-0-1 record. Alex Barbee pitched a complete game and Aaron Granger had three hits, batted in four runs and scored three in a 14-1 rout of Atlanta Sportstech, when Cory Edgemon also had three hits and Hunter Mercer added two, each with a run and an RBI. Nic Gaddis had two hits and two RBIs and Seth Hickman and Edgemon each had two hits and scored in a 2-2 tie with Nelson Baseball School 17s, and Hunter Oliver had two hits, two RBIs and a run in support of Justin Glover's pitching in a 3-1 defeat of the OTC 18s. Oliver had three hits and four RBIs and Granger and Gaddis each had two hits and two RBIs in a 9-2 victory over the Rockdale A's, when Cade Evans had two hits and one RBI and Gaddis was the winning pitcher with relief from Hickman.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
Bethany Logan's early goal stood up as the difference in Covenant College's quarterfinal win in the USA South women's soccer ...
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga sophomore tennis player Kayla Jones was the women's main-draw singles champion Sunday in the 31st ...
East Hamilton softball player Kelsey Payne signed scholarship papers Friday with Brenau University in Gainesville, Ga.
Courtney Chandler of Franklin shot a 69 Monday for a four-shot lead in stroke-play qualifying in the state Women's Amateur ...