Dalton's David Noll Jr. plays today for his fifth Atlanta Amateur Match Play championship in the 2013 final at Rivermont Golf and Country Club at Johns Creek. Noll, the top seed as the defending champion, beat Jerry McFadden from the host club 3 and 1 after topping reigning Georgia Senior Amateur champion Jack Hall of Sea Island 3 and 2. Today Noll plays a different sort of senior, 12th-grader Zachary Healy from Peachtree Corners and Norcross High School, who is headed to the University of Georgia. Healy edged Brad Hondros 1 up before his 2-up semifinal victory over Michael Hines of Woodstock.
• While first-round leader Keith Mitchell from Baylor School, playing as a Georgia individual, dropped to eighth place at 140 in the Brickyard Collegiate golf tournament with a 75 Saturday at Macon, Ga., the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga improved by six shots to 294 and passed Furman into 10th place in the strong 14-team field. Mercer leads at 556, one stroke better than Georgia Tech with Virginia Tech third at 565. UTC at 594 is 10 shots out of ninth, one ahead of Furman and 11 ahead of 12th-place Princeton. Playing as an individual, the Mocs' Liam Johnston is tied for 11th after a 70 and 71, but in counting scores Ewan Scott is tied for 39th at 148 and Chris Robb and Davis Bunn share 46th at 150, while Stuart Thomas shot a 70 and is at 151. Georgia Tech's Ollie Schniederjans took the lead at 136.
• Chattanooga's Wesley Cash beat Jack McArdle of Chicago 6-4, 6-1 in the singles round of 64 as play began Saturday in the USTA National Men's Clay Court Championships at Savannah, Ga. Cash, a No. 9 seed who faces Timothy Garcia of New Mexico today, also is entered in doubles with Mark Vines of Lynchburg, Va. They won all four USTA 55s national doubles titles last year, and Cash already is 2-for-2 this year with another partner.
• UTC senior Lucas Cotter finished fourth in the Division I men's gold division of the Greater Louisville Classic cross country meet Saturday at E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park in Louisville, Ky., and the Mocs were 11th as a team. Cotter's 8-kilometer time was 24:44.11, and teammate Mark Cole was 48th in 25:50.71 out of 163 runners. The Lady Mocs were sixth in the D1 blue division with juniors Rebecca Greenwall and Keeley Stewart eighth and ninth in 18:40.34 and 18:51.16 for the 5k course. "All of our women PR'd today," UTC coach Bill Gautier said in a school release. Keeley ran the race of her life."
• Justus David of Chattanooga won the Johnson Mental Health Center Great Pumpkin Run 10k on Saturday in 32 minutes, 49 seconds. That was one second ahead of Nathan Wanuch, and Geno Phillips was third in 34:27. Jessica Marliers and Jenn Stocks were 10th and 12th overall in leading the women at 37:31 and 39:25. Dean Thompson was fourth at 34:43 and Hugh Enicks was fifth at 35:51 in a state-record run for age 54. Jeff Colfer of Knoxville set the previous standard of 36:39 in February 2011.
• The 2013 World Championship Outboard Drag Boat Association Races will be held Saturday and next Sunday at Marion County Park on Nickajack Lake. The 21st annual event hosted by the Greater Jasper Jaycees will include boats exceeding 100 mph in the quarter-mile course. Time trials for the series season finale are scheduled to run from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, and there is no admission cost, but marine race merchandisers will be present with displays and products for sale. Admission costs $8 on the two race days, with ages under 12 at no charge. Gates will open at 10 a.m. and racing in a variety of classes will go from 11 a.m. until dusk; spectators are encouraged to bring lawn chairs. Proceeds wil benefit the Jaycees' Little Tykes Christmas. See www.odbaonline.com for more on drag boat racing.
• UTC tight ends coach Rusty Wright, a former Mocs player, will be the guest speaker for the Chattanooga Quarterback Club's noon luncheon meeting Monday at Finley Stadium, and as always the public is invited. Attendance costs $10 with a meal, $4 without.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:
related articles »
Bethany Logan's early goal stood up as the difference in Covenant College's quarterfinal win in the USA South women's soccer ...
Baylor Swim Club seniors Sam McHugh and Lucas Kaliszak from Baylor School and Mathias Porter from Signal Mountain High swam ...
Chattanooga golfers and longtime organizers Mike Jenkins and Hunt Gilliland will be the opposing captains for the 46th annual Tennessee ...
Dalton’s David Noll Jr. won the 90th Georgia Amateur golf tournament by four shots with a 4-under-par 66 Sunday on ...