Defending champion David Noll Jr. of Dalton lost against Norcross High School senior Zachary Healy in 19 holes in the championship match of the Atlanta Amateur Match Play golf tournament Sunday at Rivermont Golf and Country Club in Johns Creek, Ga. It would have been the fifth Atlanta Amateur title for Noll.
• The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's golf team finished 10th with a 54-hole aggregate score of 881 in the 14-team Brickyard Collegiate tournament Sunday at Macon, Ga., and the Mocs' Liam Johnston wound up tied for sixth at 210 playing as a individual. Also playing as an individual, Georgia senior Keith Mitchell from Chattanooga also finished tied for sixth after grabbing the first-round lead. UTC shot its best round of the season Sunday with a 3-under-par 287 Wes Gosselin shooting a 69 to lead the Mocs. UTC's best counting scores for the tournament were Ewan Scott who finished tied for 28th at 218 followed by Chris Robb and Gosselin at 222. Tournament host Mercer won the tournament a score of 837.
• Manker Patten professional Wesley Cash from Chattanooga won in singles Sunday in the USTA National Men's 55 Clay Court Championships at Savannah, Ga. Cash won 6-3, 6-4 in the round of 32 against Timothy Garcia of Santa Fe, N.M., and he and Mark Vines of Lynchburg, Va., are the No. 1 seeds in doubles and will start play Tuesday.
• UTC lost 5-1 at Wofford in Southern Conference women's soccer Sunday after giving up five second-half goals. The Mocs (4-7, 0-4) took an early 1-0 lead when Monica Speth scored in the 15th minute on a goal assisted by Melanie Arredondo, and held that lead at the half. But the Terriers (6-3-1, 2-1) came to life in the second period to cruise to an easy win. Maureen Buff had a hat trick for Wofford.
• Shelby Meckstroth scored three goals and Olivia O'Brien had two plus an assist as the Sewanee women's soccer team overpowered visiting Oglethorpe 8-0 in the schools' Southern Athletic Association opener Saturday, but the Oglethorpe men won 5-2 after taking a 3-0 lead into halftime. Five players scored for the Stormy Petrels. William White scored from a Ford Emerson assist early in the second half for Sewanee (5-4-2), and Reed Dowdy scored unassisted at 88:23. Holden Foster made eight saves in defeat. Katie Morrison had four assists for the Sewanee women (8-1-1), and Jamie Samociuk, Tyler Edell and Emily Driver had the other goals. Meckstroth, a freshman from New Orleans and The Taft School in Connecticut, now has 10 for the season.
• Covenant College played to a scoreless tie at LaGrange in USA South women's soccer Saturday. The visiting Lady Scots (5-7-1, 3-2-1) had a 14-10 edge in shots against the Panthers (6-4-2, 2-2-2).
• Kayla Sewell had 19 kills and 15 digs as Sewanee outlasted Hendrix 3-2 in SAA volleyball Saturday. The Tigers then defeated Rhodes on Sunday, 25-23, 25-19, 12-25 25-23. In addition to Sewell's contributions in the 25-20, 25-16, 22-25, 14-25, 15-13 victory Saturday, Jamie Sue Wilson had 12 kills, Walker Buxton and Rachel Schuman provided 21 and 20 assists and Jamie Kosman had 12 digs for Sewanee. Sunday, Wilson again led the way with 17 kills. Tigers libero Jaime Kosman had 20 digs, and Schuman had a double-double with 17 assists and 10 digs.
• Covenant College beat Ferrum 3-0 but lost 3-1 to Averett in USA South volleyball Saturday at Maryville College. That made the Lady Scots 10-8, 3-3 in league play. The set scores were 25-21, 25-12, 27-25 against Ferrum and 27-25, 25-19, 17-25, 25-15 in Averett's favor.
• Senior Mary Kate McAlister scored two goals and assisted on the other, by Maggie Boozer, as Sewanee won 3-0 in NCAA Division III field hockey Saturday at Earlham. Freshman keeper Gabrielle Fignar had six saves for the Tigers (5-3).
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
Almost perennial Georgia State Golf Association player of the year David Noll Jr. of Dalton will be paired with Roswell's ...
Manker Patten professional Wesley Cash of Chattanooga won/lost 6-1, 6-1 Tuesday against fourth-seeded Sal Castillo of San Antonio in the ...
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga sophomore tennis player Kayla Jones was the women's main-draw singles champion Sunday in the 31st ...
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's soccer team lost 3-2 at Alabama State on Sunday.