A woman looks at the aftermath of landslides in the rubble of smashed houses in Oshima after a powerful typhoon hit Izu Oshima island, about 120 kilometers (75 miles) south of Tokyo Wednesday morning, Oct. 16, 2013. Typhoon Wipha triggered landslides and caused multiple deaths on the Japanese island, before sweeping up the country's east coast, grounding hundreds of flights and paralyzing public transportation in Tokyo during Wednesday morning's rush hour.Photo by Associated Press /Chattanooga Times Free Press.
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- SOME FURLOUGHED WORKERS CALLED BACK
The status of thousands of employees changed from nonessential to essential over the course of the partial government shutdown.
- BAGGAGE HANDLER ARRESTED IN DRY ICE BLASTS
Bail is set at $1 million for an airport employee accused of taking the stuff from a plane at LAX and putting it in plastic bottles that later exploded.
- DEADLY TYPHOON, MUDSLIDES HIT JAPAN
Dozens are missing after a storm hits an island south of Tokyo and sweeps up the coast.
- OBAMA BESTOWS MEDAL OF HONOR ON AFGHAN VET
William D. Swenson, recognized for bravery in a battle against Taliban insurgents in 2009, wants to return to active duty.
- ALLEGED TERRORIST CAPTURED IN LIBYA PLEADS NOT GUILTY IN NYC
The case renews debate about whether to try terror suspects in military or civilian courts.
- SHERIFF: GIRL'S TORMENTOR ARRESTED AFTER FACEBOOK BOAST
A teen said to be primarily responsible for bullying a classmate who then committed suicide brags about it online. She and a 12-year-old now face charges.
- WHO'S IN THE RUNNING FOR ROCK HALL OF FAME
Nirvana, Linda Ronstadt and Peter Gabriel are among first-time nominees.
- WHY ALL TRACES OF CONN. SCHOOL ARE BEING ERADICATED
The goal during demolition of the site of the Sandy Hook shootings will be to prevent exploitation of any remnants of the building.
- DODGERS FIND THEMSELVES ON THE EDGE
Game 5 of the NLCS will be Los Angeles' last this year unless the team can muster a win against the Cardinals.
- WHERE A RARE SEA CREATURE WAS DISCOVERED
A woman snorkeling off the California coast finds the carcass of an 18-foot oarfish -- a deep-water species that can grow up to 50 feet long.