(Coaches are invited to make nominations. Send an email to Ward Gossett at firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 p.m. each Saturday.)
Several schools are listed with "no report." Coaches are asked to call or have their appointed statistician call on game nights with scoring summary, team statistics and individual statistics for both teams as soon as games are over. Call 423-757-6273.
* Baylor: George Porter scored the Red Raiders' touchdown and ran for 142 yards in a 36-10 loss at Brentwood Academy.
* Bledsoe County: Bradley Smith scored a pair of TDs as the Warriors stayed in a scoring race with Grundy County through the first quarter but then lost 56-26.
* Brainerd: Sam Caffey returned a kickoff 85 yards, but the Panthers fell 48-12 to Tyner.
* Boyd-Buchanan: Austin Jackson scored the winning TD with 3:43 left and rushed for 164 yards on 20 carries as the Buccaneers escaped from Copper Basin, 14-7.
* Bradley Central: Cal Pickel and Tyler Carpenter each had seven catches for 55 yards in the Bears' 28-8 loss to McMinn County.
* Calhoun: No report; beat Murray County.
* Central: The Purple Pounders unveiled another threat in Kevin McKenzie, who scored two TDs and ran for 149 yards in a 44-16 win over Howard.
* Chattanooga Christian: Zach Mercer ran 80 yards for a TD and finished with 126 yards on 10 carries in a 67-13 loss to Signal Mountain.
* Christian Heritage: Open date.
* Cleveland: Austin Herink ran for one TD and threw for six and 352 yards in the Blue Raiders' 48-14 victory over Walker Valley.
* Coahulla Creek: No report; lost 28-18 to Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe.
* Dade County: Mikey Williams caught four passes for 143 yards and two TDs in a 42-7 win over Armuchee.
* Dalton: No report; won 64-0.
* East Hamilton: Tony Francois had two TD receptions and 153 yards on six receptions in all as the Hurricanes swarmped Soddy-Daisy 38-7.
* East Ridge: Open date.
* Fort Payne: No report; won 35-0.
* Gordon Central: No report; lost to Cartersville.
* Gordon Lee: No report; lost 41-0 to Darlington.
* Grace Academy: Will Slack scored the Golden Eagles' TD in a 42-7 loss to Silverdale Baptist.
* Grundy County: Michael Nolan scored four times and ran for 151 yards as the Yellow Jackets outscored Bledsoe County 56-26.
* Heritage: Tanner Nance scored an early TD to give the Generals a lead in a loss at Southeast Whitfield.
* Hixson: Kedrick Bradley, one half of the Wildcats' one-two punch, gained 122 yards and scored a TD in a 23-0 win over Red Bank.
* Howard: Terrance Brooks gained 101 rushing yards and threw a 52-yard TD pass, but the Hustlin' Tigers fell 44-16 to Central.
* Ider: No report; lost
* LaFayette: No report; lost 64-0.
* Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe: No report; beat Coahulla Creek 28-18.
* Marion County: Open date.
* Murray County: No report; lost to Calhoun 61-0.
* McCallie: Open date.
* McMinn Central: No report; beat Loudon 20-17.
* McMinn County: Corbin Powers ran for three TDs and 77 yards and passed for 74 as the Cherokees built a 28-0 lead and wound up with a 28-8 victory over Bradley Central.
* Meigs County: No report; lost to Midway 15-14.
* North Murray: Hinton McConkey completed 11 of 18 passes with no interceptions for 199 yards and two TDs in a 49-27 loss to Ringgold.
* North Sand Mountain: No report; lost to Fyffe 47-28.
* Northwest Whitfield: Caleb Shiflett completed 12 passes for 239 yards and three TDs in a 21-10 victory over Ridgeland.
* Notre Dame: Kareem Orr caught six passes for 126 yards and two TDs in the Irish's 34-0 victory over Sequatchie County.
* Ooltewah: Open date.
* Polk County: Zach Miller added 24 points to his season scoring totals and rushed for 222 yards on 35 carries in the Wildcats' 41-13 victory over Sweetwater.
* Red Bank: Michael Robinson gained 68 yards rushing and passed for 34 in the Lions' 23-0 loss to Hixson.
* Rhea County: Demetrius Patterson ran for two TDs and 82 yards and caught one pass for another 82 yards and a third TD as the Golden Eagles defeated Warren County 41-7.
* Ridgeland: Caderius Word gained 117 yards on 28 carries but was held out of the end zone in the Panthers' 21-10 loss to Northwest Whitfield.
* Ringgold: Kyle Sholl scored twice and ran 20 times for 171 yards in the Tigers' 49-27 win over North Murray.
* Sale Creek: Jarod McGhee threw a TD pass in the Panthers' Thursday loss to Whitwell.
* Scottsboro: No report; won 48-27.
* Sequatchie County: Blake Cates picked up 62 yards in the Indians' 34-0 loss to Notre Dame.
* Signal Mountain: James McClellan scored four first-half touchdowns and gained 189 yards on 13 carries in the Eagles' 67-13 victory over Chattanooga Christian.
* Silverdale Baptist: Matt Millard scored twice and ran for 116 yards as the Seahawks improved to 8-0 with a 42-7 victory over Grace Academy.
* Soddy-Daisy: Levi Thornton finished with 105 yards on 10 receptions in the Trojans' 38-7 loss to East Hamilton.
* Sonoraville: No report; lost 35-14.
* Southeast Whitfield: No report; beat Heritage 21-10.
* South Pittsburg: Jajuan Lankford scored five TDs and ran for 148 yards on just seven carries, all in the first half, as the Pirates won 76-0.
* Trion: Open date.
* Tyner: Willie Stewart scored three TDs, one on a 35-yard strip-and-fumble-recovery return, as the Rams defeated Brainerd 48-12.
* Walker Valley: Colton Morrow returned a kickoff 96 yards, but the Mustangs fell to Cleveland 48-14.
* Whitwell: Clay McHone ran for 192 yards and three TDs in the Tigers' 53-8 win over Sale Creek.
Ward Gossett is an assistant sports editor and writer for the Times Free Press. Ward has a long history in Chattanooga journalism. He actually wrote a bylined story for the Chattanooga News-Free Press as a third-grader. He Began working part-time there in 1968 and was hired full time in 1970. Ward now covers high school athletics, primarily football, wrestling and baseball and University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling. Over a 40-year career, he has covered ...