IF YOU GO
• What: “The Red Velvet Cake War” by Athens Community Theatre
• When: 6:30 p.m. today, Sept. 12 (doors open at 6 p.m. with cash bar, followed by dinner and show); 7:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, Sept. 13-14; 2 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 15; 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, Sept. 19-21
• Where: The Arts Center, 320 N. White St., Athens,Tenn.
• Admission: $25 tonight by reservations; $12 adults, $8 students in advance or at the door all other shows
• Phone: 423-745-8781
• Website: www.athensartscouncil.org
"The Red Velvet Cake War," a comedy about three Southern cousins reuniting with the rest of their kin, will open the Athens Community Theatre season tonight, Sept. 12.
As befits a Southern family reunion, food will be served. Opening night will be presented in dinner-theater format, with $25 seats by reservation (call about availability). The second Thursday performance, Sept. 19, is Family Reunion Night. Extended family members are admitted for $10 each when at least two tickets are purchased. Plus, the cast and crew are holding their own Red Velvet Cake War, letting patrons enter an hour before curtain to sample their baked creations and vote with their spare change for a favorite.
Art Kimball is directing the production, which features Bev Harrison, Janet Martin, Renee Nicolo, Bill Swain, Laura Rust, Traci McKenzie, Steve Walker, Rick Parker, Pam Thigpen, Mary Kennedy and Steve Wright in its cast.
It picks up with the three Verdeen cousins -- Gaynelle, Peaches, and Jimmie Wyvette -- of small-town Sweetgum, Texas, trying to plan a reunion. Things spin completely out of control when a neighbor's pet devours everything edible, a one-eyed suitor shows up to declare his love and a high-stakes wager is made on who bakes the best red velvet cake.
The play is by Jessie Jones, Nicholas Hope and Jamie Wooten, the playwrights behind "The Dixie Swim Club," "Christmas Belles" "Southern Hospitality" and other ACT favorites.